Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

COVERAGE REPORT - Colorado Front Range

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by GetSprintToday, Apr 2, 2008.

1. GetSprintToday

GetSprintToday New Member

Hope this helps some people around here. While I am on vacation in Colorado, I took along my Sprint CDMA phone with me; and decided to pay some attention to the service I have been getting while there. And thought it might be helpful if I posted my findings here for others to reference.

The phone I am using is a Sanyo SCP-8400. I am on a National Plan, with PRL of 20230.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

April 1st, 2008
    - At Devner International Airport service was great; -70 to -85 dBm.
    - Traveling away from the Denver Airport through the metro area (westbound - towards i-70), service was just as good as at the airport; -72 to -87 dBm
    - Once on i-70 all the way to Idaho Springs was excellent (considering we were going through all the mountain passes); -83 to -93 dBm
    - After passing the Idaho Springs exit, continuing to the town of Silver Plume service become a bit less reliable with -87 to -95 dBm (but it was still good!)
    - From Silver Plume to the exit for Highway 6 coverage picked back up; -78 to -84 dBm
    - After passing the Highway 6 ramp service fluecuated a tad. For about two miles from the exit service was at -95 to -102/3 dBm. (This includes the Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel)
    - After about a half mile from exiting the Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel service increased with -74 to -82 dBm.
    - Once in Dillon coverage was excellent again; maintaining a -63 to -69 dBm reading throughout the valley.

This was for our trip to Dillon (from Denver, via i-70 westbound). Also, worth noting is that Sprint stayed with me, through all the tunnels!

-GST

#1 GetSprintToday, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. GetSprintToday

GetSprintToday New Member

Today, we took a road trip from Dillon to Leadville - great scenery, and beautiful vistas!

------------------------------------------------

April 2nd, 2008
    - In Dillon service is great (as mentioned above)
    - Leaving Dillon; eastbound on Highway 6 (headed for i-70 southbound) coverage was good; -70 to -76 dBm
    - Southbound on i-70 was good until we reached the parallel with Frisco; -75 to -81 dBm
    - Once leaving the Frisco parallel service started to get a bit weaker; -84 to -97 dBm
    - Service was maintained all the way to Copper Mountain; -92 to -104 dBm
    - Once passing Copper and getting on 91 service quality greatly diminished. Sprint service was very spotty, I would go for twenty seconds on a tower, ten seconds off. That happened for about a minute, then I fell to "Searching For Service..."; -99 to -105 dBm
    - Until we reached Kokomo there was no service. In Kokomo, my phone showed a roaming signal (I am not sure from whom - VZW?); -92 to -104dBm
    - After one "flash" of the roaming signal it was gone; and we had no service once again
    - Until we were about a half mile outside of Leadville, in which we picked up ALLTELs CDMA system; -70 to - 89 dBm
    - In the town limits of Leadville, ALLTEL gave us great service; -62 to -70 dBm
    - Outside of Leadville town limits we did still have ALLTEL but the service was very spotty; -93 to -105dBm

So overall service was good - both Sprint native, and ALLTEL (roaming). Data services were available while roaming (SMS, EvDo), and normal voice services as well. Leadville is a nice little town, but they only seem to have VZW sold there; no mention of ALLTEL in the areas we visited.

-GST

3. xchpstang

xchpstang New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola ic902
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you're getting EVDO while in roaming then you are on Alltel, not Verizon.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I dont think Alltel has EVDO in that area yet but could be wrong.

Also yeah that is a beautiful place.