Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Coverage in Whiting NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by NJ_Pubcrawler, Dec 19, 2005.

1. NJ_Pubcrawler

NJ_Pubcrawler Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    My girlfriend's parents are moving to the Whiting NJ (Manchester Township) area early next year and want to get a pre-paid cell phone to keep in their car for emergency use. I have been checking the coverage maps for the major providers (VZW, Cingular, Sprint/Nextel, Cingular, T-Mobile) and so far the only web site that has given me any detailed information has been T-Mobile. Unfortunately, T-Mobile's coverage shows as "Fair" to "None" in the area they are moving - the rest of the provider maps do not go in to enough local detail for me to tell if they truely have coverage there.

Can anyone from that area of the state tell me what providers have decent coverage? Specifically I need to know about these areas:

Route 70 (Manchester to Toms River)
    Route 37 (Route 70 intersection to Seaside)
    Dover Road/Pinewald Keswick road from the area of Double Trouble park out to Route 70

Any help is appreicated.

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Since this is a Rural Area you will have to try an 850 MHz
    Carrier and use their Trial Period.
    And its only you who can go inside their House.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    They are not concerned with using the phone inside their house - just the surrounding areas where they will be driving. The roads in that section of Manchester Township are long, dark and have very few houses on them. They just want something to have in the car for emergencies so they can call AAA or a friend in case their car breaks down, etc.

4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

I agree with you both VZW and Cingular Coverage Map shows
    Central and South Jersey as Full Coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you go to a Cingular store you should be able to see the computer version of their coverage map (MTI Tool) which drills down to street-level detail.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You can always get something like a Tracfone. I think that they are activated on, say a CDMA provider in your area, but if that provider's coverage is unavailable it will roam onto a different provider if available. They also have fairly decent-priced service.

7. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You shouldn't have too many problems with Cingular down there in these area's. I can say Rt. 37/70 was good when I was down at Seaside this summer & Rt 70 by Rt 9 was good as well.
    Cingular is running both 850/1900 down there and I go to Holiday City on Rt. 37 with good coverage throughout that area (this is the one in Manchester by BJ's and CVS off Bannier Rd.)

As for more of Rt. 70 I can't help you out any better, but could ask some people at work that live down there how Cingular is for them, if you want.

8. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I'll have to check that out. Too bad their web-based maps do not go down to the level of detail provided by T-Mobile.

Do you know if VZW stores will typically show you the street-level maps if you ask? I had a tech show me the maps once but he kind of made it sound like he wasn't supposed to.

9. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Sure... that would be great. Any feedback I can get from people who use their phones in that area would be appreciated.

How are Cingular's pre-paid plains? From what I have read on these forums, it sounds as if T-Mobile has the best pre-paid setup of all of the major carriers but they don't seem to be an option in this case since their coverage doesn't look very good down there.

10. cll

cll Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Blue, TMobile
    Cingular works ok along 530 between the parkway and 70/539. Along 539 from New Egypt there are some spotty areas. In the center of Whiting TMo works ok also.

11. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I actually tried speaking with several Cingular representatives over this past week in a few different stores - they all stared at me with a blank look when I asked to see street-level coverage maps. One guy got on a terminal and started doing Google searches on the subject. I walked away. :loony: