Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Coverage in NE WISCONSIN (Washington Island)

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by tbrusky, Jul 1, 2003.

1. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

Im switched carrier so many times in the past 3 years and finally last Aug of 2002 I went with Sprint. I havent been back up to Washington Island since. Will I be able to get a signal overt lake michingan to lower michigan where there is a whole lot of towers just hugging the lake michigan. No towers what so ever on the UP of Michigan lots on LP MICHIAGN. If there is a carrier who has a tower on washington who is it. Is it US CELLULAR. Or VERZION. I go to washington Island on average 4 times a year. Mostly salmon fishing and this will be the first time I been up to Washington Island with my Sprint coverage. When I was with Tracfone yea that prepaid cellular service I would get home coverage off and on all the time on washington island. But mostly ANAOLG, and in certain spots I would go to HOME COVERAGE or Digital. ANyone who knows the coverage area on this island like to hear about. WIll be leaving Friday morning around 2am to head up there after work. So, kindda like to know of the out come of this.

2. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    It is US Cellular. I have US cellular, an when I take a trip accross the UP, my phone romas just out of wisconsin, then goes back to US Cellular because of the Washington Island tower. I am on that tower until about 10 miles before escanaba.Your sprint phone should be able to get a digital signal off of US Cellular, as they have installed CDMA. This is only if Sprint put US Cellular in their PRL. Hope this helps.

3. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

Yes it did, now I just hope SPrint has put like you said US CELLULAR on there lastest PRL which was 10019 back in March. It would be nice since I just switched plans with wife for shared plan on SPRINT PCS FREE AND CLEAR AMERICA PLAN nad 100 free roaming minutes but dont but to be roaming on no analong that for use and I do have a tri-mode phone too. a 1900cdma Sprint, 800cdma other networks, 800AMP that deadly analog network. I just wonder how come no other cellular company has put service on that tower Sprint and verizon are cdma, probably alot cheaper to just pay US CELLUAR for digital roaming now. How last year it has ANALOG up there on the ISland, now digital, thats incredable. Well find out how far they have gotten since last time I up to Door Co back in Feb 2003. I only had a dual-mode phone bought a new phone and now have a tri-mode phone I dont know if it will help that I have an extra mode on phone we will see of how the outcome will be. Thats for the post. If anyone else has experience with SPrint with the US CELLULAR tower please post it.

4. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

Well I got off the phone with SPrint PCS CS and I told her what the problem was she said for a zipciode up there told her it 54246 for Washington Island. ANd then I told her I know SPrint doesnt own it someone other than SPrint does and she said our nearest tower is 40 miles away and there will be no roaming agrements on that tower, I told not even analong well that is the stupides thing that I have ever hered. US CELLULAR just switched networks and now SPrint doesnt want ot probably doesnt want to do raoming agrments with US CELLULAR, if you ask me thats a line a pot luck. I justed wanted to see if I would get a siginal maybe Lake Michigan might get me a siginal from Tarver city Michigan buy some luck. Because by water its not that far from wshington Island, wi to Tarver city, Micgiagn. Whio knows will see.

5. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Fat Chance getting a travers city site if the washington island cell drops out before escanaba. Digital (CDMA) travels approximately 10-12 miles max over FLAT LAND (water) Analog can do 20 miles in the same circumstance. Even with a booster, I doubt you would be able to pick up a TC signal.

6. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellcom has analog on washington Island too. They are CDMA in some of the major northern cities, but analog in the country. Also, if you wanted to TRY and pick up a SPCS site from TS, set your phone to home only. This is how I keep my phone locked on the Washington Island site through hwy2 before escanaba and some of upper wisconsin.

7. tbrusky

tbrusky Junior Member

Well just back about 20 minutes ago from Washington Island, Wi and back to wonderful Wausau, WI alot hotter here this time than last time came back. Here the report. Remind you my girlfriend and I have the 500 free and clear america plan shared. SHe has the Nokia 3581i and I have the Samsung Matrix n-270 phone. Heres the details. First the girlfriend on her Nokia 3585i. After the way side past Sturgon Bay Becky(Girldfriend) gets US CELLULAR DITIAL ROAMING all the way to Northpoint pier where you cant go no futher than that to get to Washington Island until the ferry comes. Next she would get Sprint there I almost fell in the water then abouta half hout or so she would be switiched back to ditial roaming again to US CELLULAR. ALl the way on there ferry and remind you that we are on the ferry in the middle of Lake Micgiagn and Becky is still locked onto DIGITAL ROAMING. When we get off the ferry and go up to Greenbay road on Washington Island still DIGITAL ROAMING, past the post office, onto Detroit habor road, AZONE ROAD and to the campground she is still on DIGITAL ROAMING still US CELLULAR. ALso poimnt out some roads that she is always digital on too. LAKE VIEW RAOD, PERCY JOHNSON CITY PARK, LITTLE LASKE JACOBSEN MUSEUM not there but a tad back there two big roacks theres a gravey walkway there and a place to watch the sunset and cook there not sure of the area called, She gets DIGITAL ROAMING as well and SPRINT at times too another surprise. LAst place she get DITIGIALT ROAMING is OLD WEST HABOR ROAD. Its un believeable but I saw it my self with my too eyes and even makes calls on the DIGITAL ROAMING sounds very close to SPrints CDMA network too, and its says in the handbook when in digital roaming the quility will sound the same as Sprints. But everywhere else on the islands on roads she gets ANALOG from US CELLULAR. I on the other hand mind you I have a SAMSUNG MATRIX n-270, ANALOG 99% of the time it would go to DIGITAL ROAMING at the campground for only 15 seconds then switich back to analog. DOes SAMSUNG have to strong of a sigial is that why is witched back to analog so quickly from DIGITLA ROAMING. ANd the SAMSUNG is tri-mode. Maybe a fireware update needed I dont know its a brand new phone not ever 4 weeks old. And the girlfriends gets better digital roaming then I. and Im jousous, she gets more Digital roaming then me. This is a test of all calls this weekend and I dont know where the tower is on WSHINGTON ISLAND, I havent see a cellular tower on WASHINGTON iSLAND yet and Ive been coming up to the ISLAND since 1994. ANy feedback would be helpfull.

8. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    They're probably attached to pine trees...lol

9. JoeDirte

JoeDirte New Member

I think it's unreasonable to expect good (if any) coverage on Wash. Island. A tower there would maybe serve a population base of 300.