Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Coverage and phone NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by confusedman, Aug 13, 2002.

1. confusedman

confusedman New Member

hello,. i am very anxious to finally get my FIRST wireless phone. After reading several of these forums, I am predetermined that I want the Motorola v60 instead of the v120. I've also narrowed from Att, Cingular, Voicestream, Nextel, SPrint, Verizon to just Cingular and Verizon. However, I find some dilemnas regarding pricings for the phones and the plans. Namely, here are my concerns that i'd appreciate some feeedbak: (from central NJ area)

1-- Is it wise to consider Verizon/ (vz) over Cingular just because... the price of v60 with Vz?
    2-- Why are there two v60 phones available for verizon????? Does it matter which phone to get???
    I've noticed that VzWireless stores now carry mainly v60i; which from the cellphone forum claims to have more battery life, better antenna base, 3 games instead of 1, a calculator, and somewhat updated software. The big problem, is the cost.... $249 for v60i, then minus $50 rebate (expires 8/31/02). On the other hand, I've seen at retailer stores (that provide Vz Wireless) carry primarily the v60c. This phone, at one retailer, is for $199 minus $50 rebate; but requires 2yr agreement. Y?
    3-- Can anyone provide the advantage/disadvant. of buying phone&plan via Vz Wireless Store compared to buying at a big retailer or local retailer?
    4-- Is v60c really being discontinued now?
    5-- Is it wise to sign up for 2 years? Is it wise to do this to save the Verizon $30 activation fee or Cingular $36fee??? Is it wise to pay $200 or $150 for v60i or v60c respectively, and to find out that in one year or even two years, the technology is outdated??? In other words, 2 years ago.... i believe analog was the big thing for cellular phones. Now, it's digital signals, and using either CDMA (Vz), TDMA (Cingulr), or GSM (att, cingu.)

6-- Has anyone received problems of roaming with Verizon in central PA (Willow Grove area), or the real-upstate NY (near Oswego, Watertown), or in northern CT (manchester area) or major cities like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Albany, Boston, NYC, LongISland? How about for Cingular? [[using the America Choice plan Vz; and Cingular National]]
    3-For NJ folks, have anyone experienced roaming in places like Atlantic City, seaside hts, or elsewhere with either Cingular or Verizon? so far, i heard from one guy that he has the New England plan with verizon (from like 8months ago) and claimed he was roaming in Atlantic City and paid the 69c/min.

All your help and responses are greatly appreciated. thank you.

2. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

if your choice is between Cingular and Verizon in the Northeast market mainly in NJ, PA then Verizon is hands down the winner of that one.

3. nester

nester New Member

well, I can say for certain that Cingular isn't roaming in AC. Not on the NJ plan (which I have and used there last month), and certainly not on the Cingular Nation plan (no roaming ANYWHERE in the US).

I've been happy with my Cingular, though the past few days (literally) it's started missing a lot of calls (where I get a VM but the phone never rang and must have not had signal) and it almost never used to. I haven't traveled anywhere; this was while at home and at work, where it had worked great 99% of the time.

Verizon is said to have the best coverage period. If it's just coverage you're after, go with them. But if you want to roam anywhere, Cingular Nation is the best, as the America's Choice plan sounds all fine and dandy until you get a bill for roaming somewhere you were sure you shouldn't have been charged.

AT&T has the same NJ coverage as Cingular and is offering a free v60t ($250 from Cingular). One guy I know even got a $100 rebate ON TOP of the free phone (from some place in Chinatown - maybe a hookup since he's from Hong Kong and speaks Cantonese). Their national plan isn't as good as Cingular though, so it depends on your needs. As a guy who rarely leaves NJ, I'm thinking about it pretty seriously, though the past few days have gotten me mad at my local TDMA service which hasn't been the best.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I believe the V60i is the replacement for the original V60 because it came out with some problems. If you don't travel much you might wanna consider a regional plan instead of the national plans. Many Verizon America's Choice users have complained about being charged for roaming in places they were not supposed to be charged. However, with the regional plans you won't have this problem.
    You can buy your phone wherever they sell it cheapest: either a retail store or a Verizon store. After you buy the phone, the service you'll get will be the same anyway. Don't sign up for a 2-year contract unless you are sure this is the carrier you will be in love with. Ask for a trial period and then sign up for a One Year contract if available. Sometimes there is no choice but a 2-year contract.
    Any phone you buy today will be obsolete in two years. However, if in two years the phone is doing great and you feel you don't need anything else, then it may not be obsolete to you. What really ends up happening most of the time is that in less than two years you'll either change the phone because there's another one you like better, not because it is obsolete, or maybe your phone is defective by then and need a replacement. So I wouldn't worry about it becoming obsolete.
    Also, with Cingular Nation plans, you will never get charged for roaming anywhere in the US. About signal quality, Verizon has an advantage in NJ and NY. I am not sure in PA or upstate NY.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

confusedman, it depends where in Central Jersey you are. For Cingular in North Jersey, it uses GSM, in south TDMA, Depending where you are it could use one or the other. If it uses GSM then it will be using Voicestreams network in the tri-state area. If it is TDMA, when you come to North Jersey or NYC, or anywhere else up North you will be on ATTs network.

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I just wanted to clarify that Cingular SELLS GSM service in north Jersey and NYC, but in south Jersey, they sell TDMA service. What does this mean? Well, basically if you live in south Jersey, Cingular will give you a TDMA phone and if you travel to NYC or north Jersey with that phone you will roam on AT&T towers so you'll still have TDMA service because a TDMA phone cannot roam on GSM towers. If you live in north Jersey or NYC, Cingular will give you a GSM phone which will be using Voicestream towers. Of course, in south Jersey, a Cingular GSM phone will still be using Voicestream towers because it is not compatible with Cingular's TDMA system in south Jersey. Now, to deal with this issue is why they are releasing GAIT phones that will work on both GSM and TDMA systems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Forget Cingular. They are GSM in NY and NNJ and TDMA in Southern Jersey, with no phone that supports both GSM and TDMA.

Look no further than Verizon - CDMA everywhere...

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    And I suppose you think that is a problem?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I, as well as, they do. They can't get that GAIT phone to work and once they launch it do you really think it's going to be bug-proof?

"Boomerang city". Good luck! Don't you think if they had their act together months ago they would have launched it when they entered NYM?

They had no choice but to switch to GSM - so long TDMA!!!

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am glad that you like Verizon so much and that you are happy with their service. Enjoy. Here, back on Earth, Cingular, was a merge of 11 companies, all of which used their own equipment. Some of these 11 companies used GSM and some used TDMA. I don't think the regular customer cares which one he/she is using. They only care about their phones being able to make and receive phone calls. As for me, my phone has been doing just that for the last 5 years without major problems. Usually, people who badmouth a company is because they had a problem with them in the past. I don't know what your problem with Cingular was, but one person's moaning and complaining is certainly is not enough to convince people to turn against Cingular, especially when there's no evidence offered.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Never had Cingular. Not interested in a "11 into 1" tdma/gsm network comprised of band-aides, spit, and chewing gum...

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Powertel + Aerial + Omnipoint + 50% of PCS One = Voicestream (Owned by Deutsche Telekom) (Thanks TNDan21)

McCaw Cellular Communications + AT&T Corp. = AT&T Wireless (They also rely on affiliates Suncom, Triton and Telecorp)

GTE Wireless + Bell Atlantic Mobile + Airtouch Celullar + PrimeCo Personal Communications + AirTouch Paging = Verizon

I guess is not only Cingular that is comprised of band-aides, spit, and chewing gum...

13. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Don't forgot Powertel, that's now VoiceStream too. Mergers are very common these days very few companies have built their networks from the ground up 100%.

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Most of the GTE wireless became Verizon:

Cincinnati Ohio it became Voicestream wireless

Cleveland Ohio became Alltel Wireless

Merges are a fact of life (who will be next)

Jack

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As for VS, they always owned 50% of PCS One, they just bought the other half [​IMG] Also, they bought SOL PCS in South Texas in 2000, and own 38% of Iowa Wireless.

16. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    bobolito, SunCom (TeleCorp PCS) is now AT&T Wireless.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, thanks guys. I knew I was missing some info. Your additions only further prove my point that it is not only Cingular that is "comprised of band-aides, spit, and chewing gum" as some people might want us to believe.

18. confusedman

confusedman New Member

hi there, i'd like to thank everyone for comments. So far, i havent bought anything, since i havent seeen the v60c, v60i, or the v60t phone for $100 or less (for either Verizon or Cingular plans.) Does anyone know where i can go in central nj for a $100 v60? so far, i've tried some stores; but, the cheapest i've seen now was $150 include rebate.

But, i'm confused by dobby10 and bobolito 's posting regarding North Jersey using GSM (or TDMA via AT, South Jersey using TDMA. I'm in Central NJ/ Rutgers University/main campus area; so if i get a GSM phone, it seems like I'll be narrrowing my coverage and roamings (will a gsm phone work on tdma or cdma networks? i assume not.) But, if I get a Cingular TDMA phone, it will roam on ATT's network in NYC & N Jersey; but roaming is freee with the Current Cingular Nations plan (as of 8/17/02). WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I'M IN CT or MA??? theoretically, it seems that Cingular can only use their own network or ATT's!?! and definitely not roam on verizon's.

If I go with Verizon's America'Choice Plan, according to their map, they're everywhere, theoretically,too. BUT, it seems with them, I have to just hope thet they REALLY have alot of CDMA networks all over America, especially in places like CT, MA, PA, NJ, NY, NYC (including cities and rural areas on major highways); otherwise, i'll be roaming at 0.69/min. OR, worse, the phone wont work in the area. That would suck!!!!?

finally, regarding "band-aid" companies, i find the facts quite amazing! But, that would not deter me from going with a certain wirelesss company. Though, it seems that since Verizon has Bell Atlantic Mobile and GTE, that's a strong wireless network in nyc. What 11 companies comprised of Cingular???? (besides the 1 famous to me as Cellular One) ???

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Confusedman, Cingular and AT&T have an agreement to let their respective customers roam on each other's TDMA networks in most places in the US. The NYC market which includes Long Island, Westchester county, and the greater NYC areas as well as northern NJ and parts of Central NJ is covered by AT&T's TDMA network. Down south from there Cingular's TDMA network takes over and covers the rest of NJ, Delaware and Washington DC. They also cover Philadelphia and extensive areas in central Pennsylvania. Users can seamlessly travel across these areas and they most likely won't know which network they are on. In New Brunswick, you are using Cingular's TDMA network whether you are a Cingular or AT&T customer. Cingular TDMA customers who travel to north Jersey or NYC will be connecting using AT&T's TDMA network. Customers using local NY/NJ TDMA plans whether they are AT&T or Cingular can travel across both networks without roaming charges in the NYC/NJ/south jersey area. Also, on national plans, whether Cingular or AT&T, you will not be charged for roaming in the areas I mentioned as both companies are preferred partners to each other. I hope this clears up your doubts.
    Now, Verizon is an entirely different species. They use a CDMA network, therefore TDMA phones are not compatible and hence TDMA phones cannot use a CDMA network. In the same way, CDMA phones are not compatible with TDMA networks and hence they cannot use it. Both CDMA and TDMA are extensively deployed across north america so no matter which carrier you are with, you will find reliable coverage in most places in the US. However, GSM is quickly catching up so it will eventually be as extensive as these other networks.

I'll get back to you about the 11 companies that Cingular was formed from.

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular Wireless is the second largest wireless company in the U.S. and is a leader in mobile voice and data communications. Cingular Wireless is based in Atlanta, GA and is a joint venture between the domestic wireless divisions of SBC and BellSouth. Cingular is made up of 11 brands, including BellSouth Mobility, BellSouth Mobility DCS, Cellular One (where formerly operated by SBC and BellSouth), Houston Cellular, BellSouth Wireless Data, Southwestern Bell Wireless, Pacific Bell Wireless, Nevada Bell Wireless, Ameritech Cellular (where formerly operated by SBC), SNET Wireless, and SBC Wireless. Cingular serves more than 21.2 million customers in 38 states, the District of Columbia and two US territories, and operates in 42 of the top 50 markets nationwide.

Text extracted from http://www.infopath.com/

21. confusedman

confusedman New Member

hey, thanks for the responses, Bobilito. I guess the number may be 12 if Deutsche Telekom (Voicestream) pursues the merger talks with Cingular and gets approvals.

I planned to test drive both verizon and cingular plans during my vacation (yes, buying 2 similar, flip-phones for the AC and Nation's calling plans); But, since Cingular guy told me that they dont offer short trial-periods, I was forced to just go with Verizon. : ( The coverage is okay in central nj. It is extremeley poooor in Westchester/White Plains area! I' was in roaming in some "rural" parts of Tarrytown. I' guess with Cingular, I'd probbably have strong coverage, or, just not have to worrry about roaming charges. How does Cingular work on the NYNJPA bridges and tunnels? How about the subways?? I found Verizon does NOT work in the subways of Boston. A few weak signals which I think would give poor quality or drop my phone calls along I-91 and I-84 in CT. But, overall, ok.

22. beowulf7

beowulf7 New Member

confusedman, I'm planning on getting Verizon Wireless. Let me tell you why.

I've been a customer of AT&T Wireless since Summer 1999. While I really like my current cell phone (Nokia 8260), I'm increasingly hating the service with each passing month. I've had bad luck using the phone in Parsippany (north NJ) and near the Burligton/Camden Counties area. Since Cingular uses TDMA like AT&T WS, I'm not even going to bother giving them a try (sorry bobolito).

Speaking of Cingular, my sister was so dissatisfied with their service, she paid the $150 (or whatever it is) to break the contract. She was living in Amherst, MA. She now has Sprint PCS and is much happier. I thought about Sprint PCS, but it's widely believed that Verizon has the best coverage in NJ, and since I frequent north to south NJ, that is what I plan to get very soon.

BTW, my parents used to have AT&T in north NJ and hated it almost as much as I did. They now have Verizon and are also so much happier. I'm just speaking from personal experience as well as those of my immediate family's and close friend's. Good luck with your decision!

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't disagree with you, beowulf7. Chances are you'll have better coverage with Verizon than any other carrier in NY/NJ. I was just looking at it from a nationwide point of view. Sprint and Verizon do well all over the US, but they do even better in NY/NJ. Also, NYC is not a very good area for AT&T, although they do much better in other areas of the country. Lastly, people's particular experience with any given carrier is what determines how they rate it. I don't have any horror stories to tell about Cingular or AT&T in this area, but I understand that Verizon's coverage is superior.