Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Coverage along I-77S/N and US Rt. 19 in WV

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by markley268, Aug 14, 2002.

1. markley268

markley268 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (5line ACFS 1200)
    I live in knoxville, but i'm origionally from Pittsburgh, PA and i occasionally travel up there to visit old friends, Church, etc.....

I travel from knoxville:

40E to 81N
    81N (now in VA) to 77N
    77N (now in WV) to US Rt.19 N
    Rt. 19 N to I-79N (near Sutton, WV)
    and then Take I-79N all the way into Pittsburgh.

From what i can tell, there is NOBODY that provides digital service along that entire route, specivically the US Rt.19 N stretch. (it's about a 60 mile stretch near the town of Beckley, WV)

Does anybody konw of any carriers that provide digital service along that stretch of 19? If not, then does anybody know which carriers have analog coverage along that stretch?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

You might want to try either Verizon, Cingular, or ATT. With any of these carries you would likely pick up an analog signal (if one is avalible). I would go with Verizon since they have the best coverage overall.

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cingular is GSM in Knoxville, TN so I would NOT recommend them with his traveling. Verizon or AT&T should be fine for you.

4. markley268

markley268 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (5line ACFS 1200)
    exactly right TDan, Cingular Sux for GSM customers right now, perhaps the GAIT phones will change all that, who knows.....

I'm currently with SunCom(Telecorp / AT&T now) and from what i can tell of their national network plan, that area isn't covered, i'm presuming beause their national network plan is an all digital plan. I know i can pick up an analog signal there, because i have done so on previous trips with my current phone, the 6160. I'm curious if anybody knows if there is any DIGITAL signal on that route....

i looked up us cellular and it looks like they have CDMA coverage there on that stretch of 77/19/79, but i'm wondering if that's right, and also, what other digital coverage (if any) is there?

does anybody live up there in Beckley or Sutton and know what carriers are there professing they have coverage? Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Actually the AT&T National Network Plan includes digital and analog coverage as long as you are on the AT&T Network. SunCom (TeleCorp PCS) markets are Digital PCS but AT&T has Digital and analog towers in a lot of areas.

As long as your phone says "AT&T" you should be fine on a National Network plan whether you are in digital or analog mode.

6. CDANMA

CDANMA Junior Member

I know that all of the WV market that we(US Cellular) own is Digital, but it is CDMA 800MHz (B Band), but we also have AMPS in that area as well.I'm not really great with where those roads are in that area,but I do know that you would go thru most of our markets in that drive. Suncom(Triton) had a roaming agreement with us at one time I'm pretty sure they still do. I don't know who else does in that area....