Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

County cuts down proposal for tree pole

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Jul 27, 2005.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    County cuts down proposal for tree pole

By AMANDA STEWART
    astewart@manassasjm.com
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Sprint's plans to build a second pine tree-shaped cell phone tower in the county were halted last night when the Prince William Board of County Supervisors voted to deny the proposal.

The company had proposed to build a 120-foot tree pole at the intersection of Purcell and Kahns roads, near Hoadly Road in the Coles District.

Supervisors first considered the proposal during their June 28 meeting. Several neighbors spoke in opposition of the cell phone tower at that meeting, but the supervisors voted to defer their decision until this week to consider the police department's need for the tower.

Most citizens in the immediate area were against the tree pole, said Supervisor Martin E. Nohe, R-Coles.

Despite the tower's pine tree disguise, it would stand 30 feet higher than other trees in the area and could be seen clearly in the winter when neighboring trees are bare, the residents said.

"The thing that was consistent about the people who contacted me with support for the tower was that they didn't live in the neighborhood," Nohe said. "They want cell phone coverage, but they don't have to live there."

Immediately before the June 28 public hearing, police indicated they could use the tower to fill a coverage gap they experience in the area.

Several citizens expressed concerns about the timing of the police's interest in the pole, Nohe said.

"We first heard of the public safety issue I think in an e-mail the day of the public hearing," Nohe said. "That left a lot of the citizens feeling frustrated."

Sprint is the sole provider of service to the wireless computers used in police cars, said Sgt. Javid Elahi, mobile data coordinator for the county police.

The Sprint tower would have provided service to one of three areas in the county where Sprint coverage is weak, Elahi said. Sprint coverage is also weak in the Braemar area and on the Prince William County Parkway between Scenic Point and Yates Ford roads.

Without Sprint wireless service in those areas, the police still have access to radio communication devices, Elahi said.

"They do have communication in those areas, but they don't have all the resources available to them," he said.

In light of the police need, the county planning staff recommended approval of the tree pole.

The planning commission recommended denial at its May 18 meeting.

The supervisors voted 6-1 to deny the proposal. Supervisor John D. Jenkins, D-Neabsco , voted to approve the tree pole; Supervisor Hilda M. Barg, D-Woodbridge, was absent from the meeting.

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/...icArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784083306&path=

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Looking at that area on the TM PCC (it's about 15 miles from me I guess) it looks fairly residential but TM could use the coverage too!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Awww....poor little neighbors. They are going to die because they can see a tree standing taller than the rest. :rolleyes:

For God's sake, GET A LIFE NIMBYs!

By the way, what county/state are they talking about? They failed to mention that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    It surprises me again and again how stupid some NIMBYs actually are...they are just pathetic!!!

5. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Prince William County is in VA outside of DC... Manassas & Woodbridge are two cities in that county. I wonder if perhaps Sprint could re-submit a proposal for a shorter tower? Since it's residential, I doubt there are any buildings tall enough to mount the panels on.

6. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Common sence seems to be eluding a lot more people these days. :loony:

7. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    This is part of the problem, people who need the coverage that are several miles away what it. People that care more on how the view looks are aganist it! :mad:

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is why County and other Goverment officials as well as the common person need to be better educated on the need for towers, they don't understand it all. I think the paper by www.4mobility.com that is designed for these govt. people who decide these things should read it to help them understand the need & maybe give good reason's to the people living in these areas.
    And gee, the pole will be higher then the exsisting trees, well if I remember correctly, trees do grow taller every year, it wouldn't be long till they are about the same height.

9. BKKloppenborg

BKKloppenborg Member

My Phone:
    LG F9100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular GSM (1 yr), Verizon wireless
    lol i agree with you