Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Could I get a 212 area code from VZW?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by php111, Dec 11, 2011.

1. php111

php111 New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I know that 212 area codes are hard to get. Could I possibly get one with Verzion Wireless since that's my carrier? I have the iPhone with iOS 4.2.10 if that helps. I went to verizonwireless.com, but I couldn't find any. I found tons of 917, about one, or two of 718, and 646.

I have the # of 917-828-xxxx.

Thank you,

2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Call VZW customer service and ask?

3. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    You could see if Google Voice has any 212 numbers
    https://www.google.com/voice/

They have a tool that lets you pick your number. If so, you then set it up so that you can make and receive calls through the Google Voice number on your cell phone. No charge for that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Thank you for including your existing NPA-NXX, it allowed me to confirm I was looking for:
    917-828 AS 6959 CELLCO PARTNERSHIP DBA VERIZON WIRELESS - NY NWYRCYZN01

among the records of North American Numbering Plan Administrator. Cellco Partnership has no assignments in NPA 212. If you happen to have a 212 number already, you should be able to use Wireless Local Number Portability to move it to VZW.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. php111

php111 New Member

Hey JFB,

I was trying to pull that site up the other day on my iPhone, but it said something where I need to use a desktop PC. Are there anything that will let me get it on my iPhone? I am using the default browser which is Sarfari.

I asked someone before I got more replies to this thread to see if voice is free. They said it is free, but I need to enter payment info. I don't have any payment info to enter. When I say free, I mean free, no credit/ATM cards. Just free! LOL.

I don't know how to set it up to receive anything, and calling out.

6. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    I don't know if you can go to https://www.google.com/voice/ on a iPhone. I do know there is an iPhone app for Google Voice.
    As far as I know the only things that are NOT free are 1) Porting a number to GV $20, 2) Changing your number $10 and 3) International calling.

The website does a good job of explaining it all with videos.

7. php111

php111 New Member

I know for a fact that I can't go to that website on the iPhone. I do have the app, but it doesn't do me any good since I don't have Voice. Would it be possible to create a Voice account on the iPhone? My PC HDD is fried, and on top of that I ran the Debug LLF script under DOS. Maybe Santa will be good and deliver me a drive, so I can create the voice? LOL!

8. php111

php111 New Member

It looks like the iPhone, and Google Voice are not a good combination. I'm not sure if you will accept outside links, so I copied/paste.

I’ve been an advocate of Google Voice for a while, its got a lot of great features including truly being able to keep your phone number for life and never being tethered to a device or carrier again.

I use Google Voice most when I switch to Android full-time while_writing my Droid books (in order to immerse myself in the topic, natch). I also love it because I can easily forward my GV number to any/all of my phones – which is great if you use several different phones or switch devices often.

Much has already been written about the benefits of Google Voice so I’m not going to re-cap it all here.

The announcement that Google Voice is now offering phone number portability is a watershed event. It means that you can now port your current phone mobile number (sorry, no landlines or corporate numbers yet) to GV and enjoy true mobile phone freedom. The announcement_makes Google a pseudo-mobile phone carrier, except that it doesn’t own towers, doesn’t charge you anything and you can leave any time.

While it all sounds exciting, there are limits.

You have to be off contract
    Porting to GV cancels your existing mobile phone service. You need to be safely outside of your carrier contract or risk paying a nasty Early Termination Fee. You should also tell your existing carrier about your plans to port in advance too — and while you’re on the phone with them, make sure that your account is paid in full before trying any of this porting chicanery. Carriers don’t let you “port out” if you have a balance.

Contracts aside, iPhone users will find it inconvenient to use Google Voice.

No GV integration in iOS
    Google Voice isn’t integrated with iOS, it’s a third-party app. For example, if you port to GV all calls made from your iPhone must be made from the Google Voice app, as opposed to the native iOS Phone app. Otherwise your caller ID will display the number from the device hardware — not your GV/”real” phone number. If someone saves the device number or calls you back from their recent call list, you’re out of luck.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that Android has deep GV integration. It’s trivial to set up your Android device so that the native dialer uses your GV number. It’s completely transparent on Android whereas you have to completely re-wire your brain and remember to only use the GV app on the iPhone. Good luck with that.

Epicenter’s_David Kravets compared his experience porting to GV to an LSD trip gone awry after spending countless hours on a bizarre journey through the depths of customer service hell with his carrier. He was so pissed off that he coined a new term:_“going wireless carrier,” a 2011 version of “going postal.”

Danny Sullivan wrote a thoughtful and detailed piece on what its like to port to GV based on his experience_using the service for six months. Sullivan’s piece is required reading if you’re entertaining the thought of porting to GV.

So what’s with the Apple limitations?

Simple. Apple is protecting the annuity it gets in the form of a commission from the carrier fees you pay every month. Why would Apple make it easier for you to make free/cheap calls and send free text messages when it cuts into the bottom line?

Apple needs to adds support for alternative dialers to iOS — or it risks falling even farther behind Android in market share.

Will Apple ever allow GV into it’s walled garden?

9. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Google Voice does not have 212 numbers. Believe me, I've checked.

10. php111

php111 New Member

Thank you, Mike, and thank you everyone for replying!

Next question. What would be similar, or the same as Google Voice that would be free where 212 numbers are available? I read the output above, and it seems like that GV replaces the carrier? I can't afford early termination fees, so my best bet would to keep my current provider which is VZW.

11. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    GV doesn't replace the carrier completely. It can replace the carrier's voicemail, if desired, by changing the call forwarding settings on your phone.

I have GV on my Verizon phone basically as a 2nd phone line. I prefer to have the two voicemail boxes seperate. If you port your cell number into GV, then yes, you'd be subject to the early termination fees (if any) from Verizon.

12. php111

php111 New Member

I thought they don't have any 212 numbers?

13. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Sorry , for not reading the previous posts, as I only noticed your post that stated that GV would be replacing Verizon phone. I was only clearing that statement up. I have nothing else to add to this thread :(

14. php111

php111 New Member

Hey everyone,

Did everyone give up on me? I hope not. I didn't get anymore replies. I have instant email notifications turned on for all forums, and that includes this forum. I'm sorry for doing another reply.

What are some other free alternatives to GV that has a 212? I know above said GV doesn't have any.

15. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    try ebay. you can buy one there