Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Costco prepaid nuron; switch to even more plus?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by newbiepete, Aug 10, 2010.

1. newbiepete

newbiepete New Member

Greetings from a forum (and fancy cell phone) newbie,

Costco is currently selling a Nokia Nuron for 99.99 as a phone for prepaid plans on T-mobile. I am interested in this phone because I want to eventually sign up for an Even More Plus plan with the $10 web package add on and port my current phone number to that plan.

My question is whether I can buy this phone at costco and then shortly thereafter switch to the even more plus plan? If so, what is the best way to go about it? Buy the phone, get a new phone number on the prepaid plan, and then sign up for the even more plus plan, port my current phone number to it, and use the sim in the Nuron? Other suggestions? For reference, I asked about this possibility at Costco (buy prepaid, then switch to even more plus). The guy in the phone department at Costco would not do it. However, it seems that once I buy the phone I should be able to do what I want with it so if it is possible I don't have an ethical problem with doing this.

Thanks for any advice and instructions you can give regarding this. For reference, I am not currently a T-mobile customer. I have a low tech phone w/ another carrier and that is the number I eventually want to port to T-mobile.

Thanks!

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. newbiepete

newbiepete New Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to learn much regarding this from either the Costco wireless or t-mobile sites. Maybe someone else will chime in with add'l information.
    Best regards.

4. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    you can do it I answered your message, but I forgot to tell you when you activate even more plus plan with your ported number probably better to do that right through a corp store some indirects won't activate an even more plus without you buying a phone from them. Just tell the corp store that you have a phone already and want to activate by porting your number in they will take it from there.

2 people like this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb New Member

This is exactly what I am trying to do. Can you tell me if it worked for you? Did Tmobile make you wait any set amount of time before they would let you change to the Even More Plus Plan?\

Thanks.

6. newbiepete

newbiepete New Member

I didn't end up going this route. However, from what I was able to gather from this forum and the T-mobile forums, it should work. Someone mentioned that you need to stay on the prepaid plan for a day. It also sounds like when you get on the prepaid plan you get a sim w/ a small amount of money on it. So, you probably don't have to buy a top up card when you buy the prepaid phone. Maybe you can just tell the costco salesperson that you already have some top up cards.

When I was first considering this idea I mentioned it to the guy at the costco kiosk. He told me no way. He wouldn't sell me the phone if I was going to do that. Blah blah blah. He is a salesman so I wouldn't expect any different response from him. If you don't want to deal w/ that possibility you could just get the prepaid on costco's website.

So, to summarize....I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but from everything I learned it sounds like it should work.

7. lightbulb

lightbulb New Member

Thanks. I did buy it online, I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I read that about having to wait 24 hours too, but I don't know if that person knew what he was talking about. I don't know if I'm better off activating it as a pre-paid and then switching it over or just buying a new sim with the even now more plan and sticking that in to begin with. I got yelled at by a t-mobile salesman when I asked about this. Guess they must work on commission lol

8. newbiepete

newbiepete New Member

I don't know whether it is better to activate on prepaid first or not. And, you mean you want the "even more plus" plan, not the even more plan, right?
    It seems like you could just sign up for the even more plus plan, get the sim, and then pop it in the phone. If it doesn't work, could put the prepaid in and have the prepaid phone active for a day.
    If I'm not mistaken, signing up for the even more plus plan will involve a 35 dollar activation fee. You might be able to get it waived if you are a member of aaa or other company that has a discount arranged w/ t-mobile. Or, since you bought the phone on line and haven't yet ticked off the greedy costco kiosk worker, you could go into costco and just sign up for even more plus. Tell them you don't need a phone, just a sim. I think that costco waives activation fees.

Again, all of my advice is only based on what I have read elsewhere. I haven't tried any of this. Your mileage may vary. Post back here and let us know how it goes.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I'm not a AAA or Costco member (you don't need to be a member to order the phone online). I'm wondering if I stick in the prepaid sim and wait a day, if I'll have to pay the $35 activation fee to upgrade to EV+? I'm ok paying that fee if I have to, my real objective here is to make sure I get a T-mobile signal in my apartment, since I've had issues with other carriers. I'd hate to pay $35 and then find out it doesn't work. That's why I figured I would try it out first with the free $10 they give you on the pre-paid. I'm hoping you don't have to add money to activate the free $10?