Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Copying Tones From VX8300 to PC

Discussion in 'Apps ~ Ringtones ~ Games ~ Wallpapers ~ Mods' started by RMJKS05, Feb 13, 2008.

1. RMJKS05

RMJKS05 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900 (x4)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hi All -

Please excuse my ignorance with regards to the subject at hand. :)

Long story short.

We're getting ready to do our new every two upgrade.

I've got about 20 or so ringtones purchased from VZW, on my VX8300. Is there any way to transfer them to either my PC or the removable microSD card in the phone, for future transfer to whatever new phone I purchase?

I've read up a bit about BitPim. If I get BitPim, will I in fact be able to transfer ringtones from my old phone to my PC or microSD? -then- From my PC or microSD to my new phone?

Thanks in advance. I refuse to pay VZW for tones I already have if I want them on my new phone.

2. RMJKS05

RMJKS05 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900 (x4)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Answering my own question, but I still need further assistance.

i downloaded BitPim. Successfully, I think, copied the ringtones from my VX8300 to my PC as well as my microSD.

So, assuming my new phone is supported by BitPim, it seems like it's going to be a snap getting the ringtones to my new phone.

However, I was unable to play the ringtones on my PC, either from the microSD or the copies I saved to a folder on my PC. Is there some secret squirell type coding in the .mid ringtone files that only allows them to be played as ringtones on a cellphone?

It would seem to me, a .mid is a .mid and I should be able to play them on my PC?

Help :confused:

3. fireashes

fireashes New Member

Downloading bitpim can give access to your phone. It is a good tool. I have replaced the existing ringtones form my phone with the old ringtones from my previous phone. I could not add a new ringtone to the existing list.

4. RMJKS05

RMJKS05 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900 (x4)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    :thumb:

But, shouldn't I be able to hear, on my PC, the ringtones that I migrated off of my VX8300?

When I try to, I get an error that says This Is Not A Standard .mid File :confused:

5. fireashes

fireashes New Member

I dont have the same phone as yours...

But I think, If you download latest quicktime player then it would be able to play a lot of video/audio files extracted form different phones and hope that it works with audio video form your phone too...

It that does not work then you can try purevoice player from qualcomm..
    Please note down the following site ( please remove spaces yourselves within the braces)
    {h t t p : / / w w w . r j a m o r i m . c o m / r r w / p u r e v o i c e . h t m l}

Hope that it will be able to solve the problem.

6. RMJKS05

RMJKS05 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900 (x4)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the tips fireashes! I'll give it a go.

I'm still frustrated though.

Using BitPim & the microSD card that was in my old VX8300, I got my VX9900 to recognize the ringtones. When someone calls me, it rings as assigned. However, if I try to play the tones from My Ringtones I can't hear squat.

Any thoughts? Anybody? :confused:

7. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Probably has to do with the DRM of the file itself. It may not allow propagation... even though you're able to move it and it's technically on the new phone, you may not be able to use the file.

I'm not exactly sure how advanced Verizon's DRM is but they seem pretty hell bent on preventing free media of any kind from being put on their phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. RMJKS05

RMJKS05 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900 (x4)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.

How Aggravating!

The thing is, over the past few years, I purchased the 15 or so ringtones at issue, from VZW. One would think, in the interest of their mission to improve Customer Service, that I could purchase them again and they would issue a credit.

Chaps my butt that we hafta hack our phones using a program like BitPim (which, so far has worked as advertised) because VZW is so damn ____ with DRM.

I guess I just gotta keep messing around with it.

Thanks for the insight. - Ron

9. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    "Mission to improve Customer Service?" Make no mistake, Verizon's mission, and the mission of the other providers, is to make money. To that end they probably won't credit you for re-downloading the file but it's worth a shot, I suppose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RMJKS05

RMJKS05 New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900 (x4)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Believe me, I looked into it before we did our upgrade - They won't issue a credit for anything that was downloaded more than 90 days ago.

I'm off for the next 4 days, I'll hafta dedicate some QT to get it figured out.

Thanks again.