Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

contract required to switch plans

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Charles58, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Charles58

Charles58 New Member

I called Cingular today to switch from a GAIT plan (Nation 500 min) to a GSM plan (Nation 600). I was told that in order to switch I would have to agree to a one year contract. I haven't been under contract for 2+ years & really don't like the idea of paying a termination fee if I want to change companies. Verizon is looking good.

2. modern

modern New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    I had heard Sprint makes you re-up if you switch plans as well. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Does VZW not make you re-sign?

3. Tiyuri

Tiyuri New Member

You aren't just switching plans going from GAIT to GSM you are switching types of service too. If you brought a GSM only phone to a Cingular Corporate store (not an agent) there is a very good chance that they would let you go no contract. Also, it is not like Verizon isn't going to lock you into a contract if you switch to them...

4. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    Plans as in Local to National? Or when you change from TDMA or CDMA? Reason is, i've changed my plans with AT&T so many times. From Local to National (visaversa) and the minutes and i'm my contract still ends in September of 2004 (1 year contract).

5. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I agree with you, Tiyuri. Atleast you're going to be on a contract with a company that you know about. Verizon is a little more pricy. I say just sign a contract ATLEAST for one year. I heard it's possible, you just don't get a bigger discount on your phone.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ask Cingular if there's any GSM plan that you can get into without starting a contract. I believe they require you to enter a contract if you are switching from a non-promotional to a promotional plan. For regular plans, a contract is not required.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Sorry, but I don't believe this. Have you actually called CS to verify your expiration date?????