Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Consumer Cellular?

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by beaverisland, Jan 8, 2008.

1. beaverisland

beaverisland New Member

Anybody using Consumer Cellular? I'm thinking of changing to this from Verizon.

Can I use my present phone from Verizon - a Motorola phone if I get the Consumer Cellular plan?

Thanks,

Nancy

2. vcmike

vcmike New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6101
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hi:
    I would also be interested in any information concerning Consumer Cellular. The only other thread is about 2 years old & the information might be out of date given the speed of change in this industry.:)
    Thanks, Mike

3. beaverisland

beaverisland New Member

Well, I changed over and after a couple weeks am still happy! I got the fairly simple Motorola and it is ok. Not all the fancy features of my past Motorola but it works just fine.

Have not been to northern Michigan yet to see if it works there but was in Indiana and it was fine.

Nancy

4. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's network. Their plans are OK (no MTM or N/W). Since it is GSM, a Verizon phone would not work with them.

5. projectSHO89

projectSHO89 New Member

I've been with CC for about 15 months (AAA affiliate).

Service is fine, customer support has been good.

Basic, bare bones voice and text service, nothing more.

No contracts, no gimmicks like rollover, or peak/off-peak. Just a bucket of minutes that you draw out of at any time.

Change your package any time.

Did I mention, NO CONTRACTS?

FWIW, they only have access to he towers that Go-Phones have which is not the full complement of ATT's network.

GSM phones only. ATT handsets should work out of the box. T-mobile handsets would bee the carrier lock removed first. Non-locked GSM handsets will work fine.

Steve

6. vcmike

vcmike New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6101
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    After reading the post concerning CC's coverage I loaded the coverage map for them & then loaded the AT&T coverage map for post paid (contract) voice. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it looked like Consumer Cellular had the same coverage as AT&T. I even brought up AT&T's Go-Phone coverage which was far less coverage. Any ideas?

7. sfwizard

sfwizard New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr2 V9
    vcmike,

I've had quite a few discussions w CC on the subject of roaming off the ATT network and ALL tell me that roaming is included in their subscription, that they pay the roaming charges BUT nobody can actually find me a printed T&C statement that that is fact. Many on this forum allude to roaming being included tho I still doubt it unless I see it in writing --- have not yet signed w CC. I am in the SF area but travel and since CC confuses the issue by using ATT's full voice coverage map despite the fact that even ATT has a separate map for go-phone (prepaid) which only shows THEIR towers, I still seriously doubt roaming is included. Also today I spoke w an ATT go-phone tech who told me directly that, at least on with them prepaid does NOT include roaming. However it may well include roaming with CC as long as CC is paying the charges to the non-affiliated networks. I still have not resolved this issue to my satisfaction, nor it appears to the majority of those inquiring about this issue direct ly to CC. This is an internal matter of possible multiple network contracts which differ from direct ATT and so far absolutely nobody has provided anything concrete. I do not believe that the cust. srvc. people at CC have anything to say but that which they are told and that combined with their coverage map contributes to utter confusion and real lack of clear information.

sfwizard

8. smartchanges

smartchanges New Member

Consumer Cellular Roaming Charges

Check out the website Prepaid Reviews
    It outlines everything about the plan, and SFWIZARD, it also clearly states there are no roaming charges.
    Hope this helps in your quest for an answer.

#8 smartchanges, May 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2010
  9. sfwizard

sfwizard New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr2 V9
    I verified that multiple times as am changing from ATT which does charge for roaming and $1/day on top of that. Thanks for confirming but just being very cautious. Consumer Cellular uses the ATT GSM network. Thanks.