Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Consumer Cellular

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by Chinasaur, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Zzyvko Marjanovitch

Zzyvko Marjanovitch New Member

Have received and activated a Motorola w220 with Consumer Cellular and still can't believe how well the transfer (from Verizon) went, and how courteous and knowledgable the CC people are. A great contrast from Verizon! So far the voice quality is excellent and I have no complaints from the other end that I am breaking up (despite the fact that CC is using other carriers facilities). My primary reasons for switching: 1. lousy service from Verizon. 2. stuck with an LG fone (got to be the worst!) and the only possibilities (after 2 years) weren't much better. Yrs, folks, we are very happy with CC!

2. AlGreen

AlGreen New Member

CONGRADS! YOU GOT A CELL THAT WORKED. I DIDN'T.
    P.S. CC INFORMED ME THROUGH MY CARD Co. THAT THEY WILL PURSUE ME FOR PAYMENT OF A CELL THAT DIDN'T WORK AND SERVICE I DIDN'T USE.
    GOOD LUCK
    ALGREEN :confused:

3. Zzyvko Marjanovitch

Sorry, Al, at 83 I'm old enought, and served my country long enough, to not have to be politically correct. I say it like it is. Not allowed to give you legal advice but if you were one of my grand children I'd advise you to see an attorney. Of course, there's always another side to any story.

4. AlGreen

AlGreen New Member

Sorry to tell you that U are not old enough to be my GRANDFATHER. Fortunately my brother is an attorney. So I'm set for CC :loony: when they try to collect. And yes there is always another side to any story. In this case U haven't heard all of my side yet. I count 8 letters written to me from CC :loony:. If U'd like a copy of CC :loony: confusing, poorly written letters I'd be glad to send U a copy. See if U think their nuts or not?
    Al :cool:

5. titus1928

titus1928 New Member

I have been with Celllular for two years. I am very happy with it. Never had any problems with it. I use their Razor because I want the Blue tooth facility. It has internet facility, however I do not know if they charge extra. I have 200 minutes which I share with my girl friend at 30.00 per mnth for both phones. I left AT&T because of their foreign call center. I only talk to people who speak english. I have always spoken to Portland when i call their 800 number.

I can call anywhere in the US, only minutes are charged.

No roaming charges. :):)

6. Zzyvko Marjanovitch

I've had the American Motorola and the American Consumer Cellular service six months, so far. No problems and no reason to call them. Everything works exactly the way they said it would (how about that for something different). Two friends have also joined CC but opted for different phones but no problems with them, either. I could say that the nicest thing is the reduced bill (vs AT&T and Verizon), but what I appreciate most is the excellent quality of sound going both ways.
    It really feels good to get a service equal to what is charged.

7. emcoe

emcoe New Member

The last message regarding Consumer Cellular is from 4-22-09, and from Zzyvko Marjanovitch in North Carolina. Good news - he or she likes the service - Bad News - still looking for a user from California.
    I will greatly appreciate hearing from a Cal CC user. THANX

8. lars1331

lars1331 New Member

please don't "hook " up with these crooks. They rob you blind. They rip you off in every way imaginable. Don't honor quarantee, keep billing after cancelled, inaccurate charges. Just totally frustrating.. I had no overage (couldn't even make a decent call for longer than 10 minutes) and my bill was way different every month. They are rude, unfamiliar with their policies and seem to have much less than a GED, Or perhaps they just act stupid in the hope that you will just hang up. I can't write anymore. I just don't want to relive the nightmare any more. If you do go with them, stock up on Excedrin.

9. szwick1213

szwick1213 New Member

It has been a while since you posted but I have a question. I currently have Consumer Cellular and want to pick my own phone. They have stated they will send a sim card but cannot guarantee it will work. It will be an AT&T unlocked phone. What is your experience in them sending sim cards that will work in other phones?

10. szwick1213

szwick1213 New Member

I am a customer of CC and also want to get my own phone. I was told that they would send me a sim card but could not guarantee it would work. It is an AT&T phone. Just wondering what your experience was in getting your own phonel

11. szwick1213

szwick1213 New Member

So are you still working there? I use CC and want to get my own phone. I am told it might work. What is your experience with that? It will be an AT&T phone.

12. cclane

cclane New Member

Since you mention that you will be using an unlocked AT&T phone, the phone should work with the SIM card provided. The important thing to remember when searching for an unlocked phone for your Consumer Cellular service is that it should be a GSM phone for the U.S. network. An AT&T phone should satisfy that criteria.

Also, if you can tell us the specific model of phone and what network it works on, we can tell you immediately if it will work instead of waiting for the SIM card to arrive. Let us know if you have any more questions or thoughts. You are also welcome to give us a call at 1-888-345-5509. Thanks!

13. szwick1213

szwick1213 New Member

The phone is a 8100 Pearl Unlocked GSM phone AT&T

Bell Mobility, Fido, Rogers Wireless, Cellular One, AT&T, Cingular, SunCom, T-Mobile

14. cclane

cclane New Member

“Yes, that phone should work just fine with the new SIM card. Thank you and enjoy your new phone!”

15. sulla

sulla New Member

I have a ipaq 910 that I need to get service for. If I call cc and get a plan will they send me a sim card or do I have to buy one of their phones?

16. cclane

cclane New Member

Looking at the specs for the ipaq 910 it looks like this phone works on the GSM network, which is what Consumer Cellular uses. This is a good sign that the phone will work with Consumer Cellular. Another way to tell if the phone will work is to ask the manufacturer what cellular networks the phone works on. If the phone you bought is compatible with the AT&T network, then you should not have a problem.

If you do decide to go with Consumer Cellular, a SIM card will be sent you free of charge, enabling you to test out the service. If you don’t like it you can always cancel within the first 30 days or 30 minutes of use, whichever comes first, for a full refund. If you have any more questions you are also welcome to talk to live customer service representatives based in the U.S. at 1-888-345-5509. Thanks!

17. wht

wht New Member

To avoid "Consumer Cellular's" data charges, would I have to remove their sim card from my unlocked GSM smart phone every time that I access the internet at a wifi hotspot?

I use a Lebara sim while traveling in Europe and find it convenient and relatively inexpensive because Lebara does not charge for wifi or wlan data connections (or at least didn't this spring), only voice and text messages.

AT&T will log data usage even with wifi hotspot usage, ... but not when their sim card is removed :)

I'm looking for a cellular voice plan with text messaging that would not charge me to access email, the internet, wunder radio, Skype, etc., etc., .... when in range of wifi hotspots ... with the convenience of leaving their sim in my smartphone while online.

All insight and help will be appreciated :)

18. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
  19. cclane

cclane New Member

Looking at the specs for the ipaq 910 it looks like this phone works on the GSM network, which is what Consumer Cellular uses. This is a good sign that the phone will work with Consumer Cellular. Another way to tell if the phone will work is to ask the manufacturer what cellular networks the phone works on. If the phone you bought is compatible with the AT&T network, then you should not have a problem.

If you do decide to go with Consumer Cellular, a SIM card will be sent you free of charge, enabling you to test out the service. If you don’t like it you can always cancel within the first 30 days or 30 minutes of use, whichever comes first, for a full refund. If you have any more questions you are also welcome to talk to live customer service representatives based in the U.S. at 1-888-345-5509. Thanks!

20. sfwizard

sfwizard New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr2 V9
    Hello, riki,
    I am new to this forum too and am investigating CC.

First, any GSM (the protocol) phone (ATT, T-Mobile, etc.) will work on any other provider's GSM network. The provider will provide you with their SIM card which goes in the back of the phone, usually under the battery or below it and identifies you to CC (a mobile virtual carrier) who buy time from the network owners (ATT in this case). Your phone will not change in its looks when unlocked: that is it will still have the Sprint logo when it boots and that cannot be changed. However after you pull the Sprint SIM card and insert the CC SIM you will have CC as your carrier.

sfwizard

21. UncleHams

UncleHams New Member

On getting a SIM card from Consumer Cellular that you wish to put in a different phone is really a toss up. Naturaly you want to avoid the low end phones they parade as high end phones however its been about 50-50 on wether they will work.

Really what you want to do is get a phone that takes sim cards and make sure its unlocked. I know one oft he CC supervisors had an unlocked phone he bragged about a few times that was connected to the CC service.

BY THE WAY the password if you ever want to access consumer cells master account via cingular is CONS..

That is for information purposes only and not meant to be used in any fashion that would break the law or cause dammage to the company.. At least thats what it was when I worked there.

22. sfwizard

sfwizard New Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr2 V9
    I have 2 Motorola Razr2 V9 phones and use SIMs from T-Mobile as well as France Telecom (Orange) while in France. This is a quad band unlocked phone originally purchased from AT&T and works perfectly with any SIM on any GSM network inside our outside the US. I can even use the France Telecom SIM within the US via an agreement they have with T-Mobile (requires intering 011 1) prior to the number so it does a loop va Paris and back (at no extra charge).

--- John

23. joethevoter

joethevoter New Member

CC uses the AT&T network. Most any SIM GSM phone will work. You can consider your coverage with CC same as if you used AT&T. I had it for over a year. Changed only to get a data phone etc. but always had good service from CC. I recommend them for basic service. You can change your plan up or down anytime on their web site. Don't even need to call them. Watch your usage and plan accordingly.

24. jrcouts

jrcouts New Member

My Phone:
    3gs on Consumer Cellular
    Wireless Provider(s):
    consumer cellular
    UncleHams,
    You provided a password but their must be a username?
    I have a locked and unlocked iphone on Con.Cell. MMM and web access do not work. I can change APN but their is a username in there.
    Any help?

25. cclane

cclane New Member

jrcouts, I work with Consumer Cellular and there is limited functionality with the data settings for iPhone and Consumer Cellular. As you probably already know, you will not be able to access email and the full internet through Consumer Cellular’s service. Additionally, to the best of our knowledge, the data setting are hard coded and cannot be easily changed in the iPhone. However, I have provided you the data and messaging settings for Consumer Cellular below. You are welcome to try and adjust your settings using that information. Thanks!

26. jrcouts

jrcouts New Member

My Phone:
    3gs on Consumer Cellular
    Wireless Provider(s):
    consumer cellular
    Thanks, but I don't see any information?

27. cclane

cclane New Member

Sorry jrcouts, the table I created for you does not format well on this forum. Let me know if you have problems understanding! Thanks.

Account name_______Web settings________MMS settings
    Proxy address________<blank>___________proxy.mvno.ccmobileweb.com
    Proxy port___________<blank>____________80
    Proxy push ____________NA_____________Disabled
    Authentication type_____Secure___________Secure
    User name (CSD/GPRS)_<blank>_________<blank>
    Password (CSD/GPRS)___<blank>________ <blank>
    GPRS access point____att.mvno__________att.mvno
    Homepage ___________NA______________http://mmsc.cingular.com

1 person likes this.
  28. rmf12345

rmf12345 New Member

Beware! If you use Consumer Cellular your name and number WILL NOT show up on their phones. All they will see is the state you are in and Caller ( Texas Caller). Hardly anyone is answering my calls as they don't know who is calling! So ask the right questions before you start service with Consumer Cellular.":mad::mad::mad:

29. jrcouts

jrcouts New Member

My Phone:
    3gs on Consumer Cellular
    Wireless Provider(s):
    consumer cellular
    Not true unless you got a new number.

30. videotape49

videotape49 New Member

No you don't have to buy their phones..I paid for a new gsm with two sim cards and it just works fine..