Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Considering Nextel, but Have Network Questions

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by MoonKnight, Sep 11, 2006.

1. MoonKnight

MoonKnight New Member

Hi. I'm signing up for my first cell phone plan (have had cells in the past but on my parents' dime) and am seriously looking at Nextel. I am drawn to their sturdy, simple phones.

I have little/no use for cameras, mp3 players, fancy wallpaper, ringtones, games, or extensive internet access. This is especially true if I get those features at the expense of having a sturdy phone. I want a phone that I can bounce off the pavement a few times, blow some sawdust around, and then drop it in (and quickly retrieve it from) a bucket of water.

I'm an active person, and also can at times be a bit clumsy, especially with these tiny mini phones that want to slip out of my hands on occasion. I expect to be exposing my phone to more, rather than less, hazardous conditions in the near future as I hope to be taking on a more active job again.

HOWEVER, I live right on the North Carolina / South Carolina border, and Nextel's current service is fairly spotty, even in the most frequent areas I will be moving around in (I'd wager about 1/3 - 1/2 fall in the current dead zone).

I've talked to the local Nextel rep and he mentioned that the towers are being updated, hopefully by the end of the year, so that each network benefits from the others' towers. In other words, Nextel would have Sprint's wider coverage in this area.

Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know how the integration is going? On schedule for the end of the year?

2. Is it going to work like I understand it (each getting broader coverage)?

3. If I sign up for a mobile plan now, are they going to come out with a new phone later that works with this new integrated network while mine won't? Or will the iDen equipment be installed on the Sprint sites, and cdma on the Nextel sites, and I can use the current crop of Nextel phones?

Just FYI, I am aiming for the i355 phone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Looking at NEXTEL for sturdy phones is perfect and a great idea. Nobody can beat the quality/durability of NEXTEL phones.
    How important is coverage for you though? If you have a cellphone I'm sure you will expect it to work in the places you frequent and you saying that you will spend up to 1/2 of your time in dead zones seems extremely high. Does Sprint offer service in those areas? If so, eventually you may see iDen on those sites, but nothing is for certain. Sprint's initial announcement said that conversions should have started already, meaning shared towers/equipment but nobody has really reported that happening as of yet so I wouldn't bet on that.
    Sprint/NEXTEL is said to, however, come out with a CDMA/Iden phone in the near future...I don't have the exact PR ready but it's out there...Hope this helps at least a little.

3. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    The Carolinas is good area for Alltel.....and they have a few phones that are built very well. Granted Nextel has the toughest...i think you will find the coverage and cost not worth the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    If you listen to any part of this post, just don't get sucked into what a sales agent says. If you buy from him, he will make a commission and that's what he's in it for. As for your questions, Andy covered it very well.

The integration is definitely not on schedule to be completed by the end of the year, as far as I know, it hasn't began. Sprint and Nextel have two completely different teams working on the issue and it appears that they are doing nothing and waiting for Motorola to develop a phone that will work with both systems. There's no timetable as to when this phone will come out. My belief is that it's just advertising at this point and if there is a prototype, there are a lot of bugs to work out. Technology isn't integrated very easily and a skeptical side to me thinks this phone still has a ways to go before it's released.

If you are buying a plan from Nextel, you should plan as if they are going to have their current coverage for the next 2 years, because once you sign a contract and go past the two week trial, you must pay the bill, no matter what happens to the network for the next 2 years. If you want a sturdy phone, but no reception in 1/2-1/3 of the places you'll be is alright, go with Nextel, if not, consider somebody else.

For your area, Strunke is correct, Alltel has a great market around there. You will be very pleased with their coverage as compared to Nextel. They actually have the best coverage in Southern NC/Northern SC in my experience. It sounds like you're somewhere near Charlotte/Rock Hill where Alltel has by far the best coverage of any provider. They do very well all over the Carolinas. Alltel also has some great prices compared to others which I'm sure will be a relief since you're coming off your parents dime. As for the phone, they have the Motorola W315 which sounds like the perfect phone for you. It's not as ruggedized as the Nextel phones and I'd keep it away from water, but if it's like any other Motorola, it'll survive many drops and a rough time. It's a tough little phone. It's also very simple and it sounds like the description you gave.

5. MoonKnight

MoonKnight New Member

Thank you.

I appreciate everyone's advice. Sounds like I better seriously think about Alltel again. I've looked at all of the carriers, several times, but never quite found the right phone and plan on another carrier.

How do you think the Kyocera KX-12 (for Alltel) compares to the Motorola w315? It seems at least minimally ruggedized compared to some other phones and has considerably more talk time.

Also, is the Motorola e815 worth consideration? More or less sturdy then the other Motorola mentioned? The only reason I would consider it is because it offers the ability to use GPS navigation aps which is a feature I would like to try but is not a priority by any means.

6. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    The E815 is a sturdy phone, that's what I carry and it's taken the nose dive on pavement several times since I've had it and it's still working fine. The only reason I didn't mention it is because it costs more and it has all those bells and whistles you said you didn't want. It has a camera, mp3 player, you can download all that fancy wallpaper, games, and ringtones and it's the perfect phone for connecting to the internet. It's durable but just be aware that you're paying for all those bells and whistles where I've heard the W315 is just as durable, as are most Motorolas, and it's cheaper because it doesn't have all those bells and whistles. So if the GPS is worth $50 to you, go with the E815. I actually don't have any experience with the W315, but I've seen it and it looks as sturdy as other Motos.

I'd forgotten all about the KX-12. When I was looking at phones I don't usually like candy bar phones because the first one I had was a Nokia whose keys quit working in a year and a half because it's dusty where I live, but I've heard designs have improved since then. I would try to keep sawdust and water away from those keys just incase, but other than that, Kyoceras are built like a tank from what I hear. That might be the most durable one when it comes to drops and things like that. The Alltel website even calls it a rugged, durable design. The talk time on that thing is also unreal, I never before realized how long it was. But I think you'll be fine with any of the phones you mentioned. Just be sure to think about the insurance if you are as rough on them as you say! ;)

Just don't even think about an LG because they just aren't near as durable.

7. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Regardless of what phone you purchase, go buy a simple ballistic nylon case for it. I pick up pretty tough cases at Home Depot/Lowes that come with a metal belt clip. The case alone will take care of most of the dust problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The E815 is built like a tank, especially if you get the extended battery. Well at least the V710 it's older brother is. But I do hear it has some firmware issues with the extra features. Like the Alarm not being reliable etc. I think you would be happy with the 315 though. The Kyocera looks rugged, but I personally dont think any Kyocera is durable.

9. MoonKnight

MoonKnight New Member

I appreciate all the advice.

I do in fact have one of those nylon cases already and am glad to hear it keeps most of the dust out. My problems in the past have been drops and water, but I expect dust will become an issue soon.

I'm seriously considering an Alltel plan now, but am also considering a Sprint SERO plan. I've posted a topic on that in the Sprint forum, if anyone would care to comment.

Again, thank you everyone. Everything you guys have said has been helpful.

10. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What is the SERO plan you are looking at?

11. MoonKnight

MoonKnight New Member

The Sprint SERO I am looking at offers 1250 anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends (9pm - 7am), unlimited roaming, unlimited Sprint vision (includes web access, email, etc.) for $50 per month.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I probably could make do with the $30 per month plan from Sprint which is the same except for only offering 500 anytime minutes.

This compares to the plan I would have chosen at Alltel: 900 anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends (9pm - 6am), fairly unlimited roaming (very few areas where it is not free, none that I am likely to go to), MyCircle included (pick 10 numbers to call unlimited for free), for $60 per month.

The Sprint phone would most likely be cheaper, perhaps free, depending on which one I chose. I was asking over in the Sprint forum about sturdiness of the phones that are available with the SERO discount, and whether any have GPS navigation service. In some ways I feel like if I chose Sprint I might have a foot in the door when/if they fully integrate with Nextel. Perhaps I could get a discounted phone upgrade in 1-2 years to a Nextel phone.

#11 MoonKnight, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  12. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    If you could make due with the 500 anytime minute plan from Sprint, could you not make due with the 500 anytime minute plan from Alltel? This would make the price comparison much more even and the features fairly equivalent. If you find out you need more minutes after that, you can always change your plan or add-on features without extending your contract. Sprint also doesn't carry Kyoceras which means that your phone probably wouldn't be as sturdy as the KX-12. They do have several Motos which I would go with if you do go in that direction, but that Kyocera looked pretty stout.

I think, what it would come down to for me, and it is something that you'll have to think about. Is which provider and plan works best for you. That Sprint plan sounds like a good deal price-wise, but it's not as large of discrepancy if you compare it to an equivalent Alltel plan. From my travels around the NC/SC border, especially in the Charlotte/Rock Hill area, is that Alltel's network would provide you with coverage in more places. And depending on where you live on that border, Alltel might be drastically better than Sprint there. Sprint covers the cities and interstates well, Alltel covers the Carolinas well. My brother had Sprint and I travel down there with every now and then with him, and Alltel holds onto a much better signal indoors and all around the area once you get away from downtown and the interstates. If you live or travel in an area that's not right by a tower, just off the interstate, or not downtown, this might be a big deal. Alltel would definitely give you the most coverage, Sprint lacks quite a bit in that general region. The inherent problem with Sprint in rural and outlying areas is they use a 1900 MHz frequency to broadcast their signal compared to Alltel's 850 MHz. This means once you get off the interstate and into the outskirts of any city, Sprint's signal will drop off much more than Alltel. It's just a region that Alltel covers very well in comparison to Sprint in my travels. But is the coverage worth the price difference, that's up to you. To me coverage is the most important thing, because what good are minutes if you can't use them?

You seem to be pretty keen on a Nextel phone, but I don't think Sprint would give you a discount if you get one before it's time to renew your contract. And I just think that the integration will take much longer than you anticipate, if ever. Sprint doesn't have a track record of moving fast on these improvements. Nor do they have a good track record of customer service in general, especially for issues such as upgrading early. Their main focus at this time appears to be offering EVDO availability in newer markets.

Whomever you go with, be sure to utilize the 15 day trial if you do have any issues and best of luck in your decision.

edit: PS: You do know that you must know a Sprint employee or obtain their e-mail address to be able to get a SERO plan don't you? If you compare regular plans, Alltel actually gives you more minutes for the price. Sorry I went on for so long, it's just that I know that region and I've heard many complaints about Sprint coverage there and I'd hate to see you make this expensive investment and end up with a phone that won't pick up, or picks up a very poor signal in many of the places you'll probably be.

#12 UFO, Sep 12, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  13. MoonKnight

MoonKnight New Member

Thanks again UFO.

I just have moved down to Landrum, SC. Shopping, dining, and various other things take me around the Greer/Boiling Springs/Inman/Spartanburg area southwards of me. I also find myself heading into Tryon, NC pretty frequently which is just across the border, about 5 miles north. It looks likely that I'm going to be working a part-time job in Tryon. I currently have a pretty good job but am trying to find something more active, and eventually maybe learn a trade (e.g. carpentry, plumbing, etc.). I'm going to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity (which has a branch in the Tryon area) for the experience and am getting into doing alot of home improvement / yard work around my parents' new house. The church I'll be attending is also in NC, in the Asheville area.

Alltel clearly has the best coverage, but Sprint still seemed fairly promising (more so than Nextel) as its covered, at least with roaming in all areas around here, at least according to their map. I'd appreciate it if you know otherwise though.

Alltel's 500 minute nationwide calling plan is $40 a month and does not include MyCircle. For $10 less I would get 1 more hour per night of talk time which is important to me (I have a friend that I am very close to out of state; ex-girlfriend that is still practically my bestfriend. We fall asleep talking almost everynight, and sometimes talk in the early morning before work too), and I would get unlimited free vision. I doubt I will use the web and email that that much, but it seems like quite a bonus. It would somewhat depend on what I get out of it, whether it just cuts down on the price of using interactive features, or whether it eliminates cost entirely.

On the other hand, Alltel's MyCircle is a big selling point. I have less than 10 people I call frequently, and probably wouldn't break 10 anytime soon even with a few new ones (with the new job, volunteering, etc).

I actually went down to the nearest Alltel dealer here to get a couple of the options in my hands today. The dealer insisted on showing me a Razr, insisting a contractor friend of hers uses it and has dropped it without trouble. I also was able to check out the e815 and the KX12. Both were nice, and I was please to see that in person the KX12 was not nearly as flat as I feared. I was not too impressed with its "ruggedized" casing though.

14. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Yeah, don't let the dealers talk you into anything, it's best to have your mind made up without them. I think they make additional commission on certain phones, that kind of makes them a little :loony:

One other option you might not have considered is nights at 7 through Alltel. I think it's $7 a month and it's a nice add-on to keep you from going with a higher priced plan but giving you a good reason to go with Alltel's coverage. But I completely understand why you have reasons to go with either Sprint or Alltel.

One thing you should be warned of on the Sprint map though, if it shows your area covered partly by native Sprint service and partly by roaming partners. If you are leaving or entering a dark green area representing Sprint's native service, it won't switch right over to a roaming partner when your signal starts becoming weak. It will hold onto an unusable Sprint signal for up to a couple miles before switching over. These are areas where your signal is too weak to make or receive a call with Sprint, but too strong to switch onto another carrier. The call will always drop before it switches also. These are often the worst places the be a Sprint customer and what drives many people with Sprint crazy. This is also why their signal is exceptionally poor on the outskirts of cities and just off good ol I-26 (and all interstates). Whereas if you went with Alltel, those are the areas it would be on the Alltel signal all along, and you wouldn't have to worry about keeping a bad Sprint signal before switching over. Just something to think about when you see those maps.

edit: Also, to the best of my memory, what I specifically remember about Asheville, Spartanburg, and surrounding border areas is about what I've been saying about the rest of the border. Sprint does fine downtown and on the interstate. Once you start getting about a mile off the interstate, or on the outskirts of cities, or even inside in many buildings/homes, the Sprint signal will start to fade and give you an unusable signal in many more places. They don't have bad coverage overall, but there are many more bad places with them that you'll have an unusable signal.

#14 UFO, Sep 13, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  15. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    if you want to get SERO and need a durable phone.....i would recommend that you get that SERO plan on Nextel with the i580.......that thing has got to be like 80% rubber. If you drop this thing on the ground it might bounce a couple of times before it actually sits down........they have already created the dual CDMA/iDEN phone but just haven't begun sales yet.......if you really need a phone with good coverage I would recommend you get Sprint........it has the roaming in case there is no Sprint......what city do you live in again....because Charlotte Raleigh columbia and Greenville and the areas surrounding those cities have pretty decent coverage for Nextel.

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    just to add to my previous post.......Sprints coverage is definitely perfect in your area......they even have Power Vision capabilities in Charlotte.and where there isn't native coverage there always seems to be digital roaming backup

17. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    He's actually not in Charlotte, he's off of I-26 near the border. The only thing that I'm concerned about with Sprint is for some of those smaller towns off the interstate they are real bad in that area about putting up towers with two sector sites aimed parallel to the Interstate without a sector aimed at the surrounding town. I suspect Sprint does this there because they have a really weak signal in some of those towns/cities down there. Sprint phones will latch onto that weak signal even if it's too weak to use. It will eventually fall back onto an Alltel signal as a free roam but it will latch onto that Sprint signal for as long as possible. But then again, the op might be in a location that they do cover well.

Just whomever you do go with, be sure to utilize the 15 day trial period where you can return the phone if you do run into any coverage problems. Both Sprint and Alltel allow returns within that period if you aren't happy with the coverage and think the other might be better.

#17 UFO, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  18. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i believe Sprint and Nextel are now offering 30-day trial periods.......which gives you a whole month to test out the coverage.....although UFO does have a point.....If you are on the border.....Nextel might not be as good but try it anyway....

and on the comment about the positioning Sprint towers......i totally believe you UFO......and the quick fix for that is make sure you get a phone that can do forced roaming.......

19. MoonKnight

MoonKnight New Member

I wound up ordering the Sprint SERO 500 plan with a Sanyo MM8300 phone.

None of the SERO phones looked THAT ruggid, but I've heard Sanyo is a decent brand. If nothing else it should help with reception / clarity in this area. I'll have to see (it should be arriving today).

Choosing it though meant a fairly cheap phone ($50) with presumably good reception, flip capability (probably the best open-close method for a phone in tough situations), the GPS functionality I wanted, a decent battery life (3.5 hours standard, 5.5 with the extended battery), and most importantly I was able to sign-up for a very cost-effective plan.

In 1-2 years I'll upgrade to the next generation of Motorola / Nextel phone which should be operating on the combined network by then.

20. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Good luck with your decision. I hope that you experience no coverage issues and don't have any problems with the phone. If you are unsatisfied with anything, with Sprint or any provider you may try in the future, keep in mind that you have 30 days to your trial in which you can return your phone if there's anything your not happy with. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

21. GopherWireless

GopherWireless Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    The rugged phones are great but if your coverage isn't great you probably won't be that happy.

Get a phone and get a rugged case for it. That will protect it good against drops. And I always get nervous with mine when I am around water. Even when I'm going to the toilet!!!:eek:

Getting a phone insurance plan added to your account will protect you from accidents happening to your phone.

22. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow revival of a old thread. I agree with you, however it's also worth mentioning Verizon has one of the toughest phonoes at the moment with the ruggedized UTstarcom Gz'sOne.

23. noahm

noahm Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V276
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Of course this doesn't apply anymore, but it seems the new cdma/iden hybrid phones would be perfect for this situation. Too bad they werent around in september....