Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Considering getting AT&T

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by mrjohn, May 28, 2012.

1. mrjohn

mrjohn New Member

Right now I currently have Verizon but am considering switching to AT&T in a few weeks when my contract is up. Curious how AT&T is these days? From what I've seen the AT&T network is pretty good now and much much better than they used to be. With Verizon I'm constantly having to worry about minutes unless I upgrade the plan which is not an option since I'm already paying what feels like an arm and a leg. AT&T would definitely save me some money and rollover/any mobile is a nice plus.

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm not sure where you are at but AT&T has gotten much better in my area and even in some problem major cities from what I've heard most issues have seem to be worked out. I was considering Verizon when I switched off T-Mobile but AT&T's coverage is fine for me. Price wise Verizon and AT&T would be about the same for me HOWEVER AT&T gives me more with Unlimited Calling to any mobile which Verizon doesn't offer and Roll over minutes. I feel like AT&T just gives you a little more bang for your buck. I do know had I switched to Verizon I'd been watching my minutes more but with AT&T's roll over and Unlimited to any mobile option I pretty much get to talk whenever I want and don't have to worry about my minute usage.

3. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    It is all a matter of what works best for you in your area and places you frequent . Ask people you know who are with all the major carriers and travel in similar circles . That is where you will get your best information . You will find cheerleaders for both sides in any forum . But no one in here can give a subjective answer unless they live down the street from you and frequent the same places.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

While I like AT&T and am satisfied overall with my service with them, I do realize that they aren't a perfect fit for everyone. The best advice that I could give someone when trying to pick a new wireless carrier would be to start with a carriers coverage maps and see what kind of coverage is listed for their area. AT&T's coverage maps can be found here: AT&T Network and Coverage - AT&T BusinessDirect® | Premier Business Center Secondly, I would recommend the person speak to friends, relatives, ect, who have service with AT&T in that particular area to see what it is like. Next thing, would be to use the carriers trial period, which in AT&T's case would be 30 days. If they service isn't good in areas where you'll be using your phone the most, it really don't matter how much money you'll save with their plans because you might not be able to use those minutes anyway.

5. mrjohn

mrjohn New Member

Well, I am testing att out to see how it does and so far it seems to be doing very well. I haven't tested it in all the spots I frequently go to but this weekend I will really test it out. Haven't had any call drops yet and have made 15 calls or so.

6. rcwfox2002

rcwfox2002 New Member

I have worked for both companies and used both companies ATT and Verizon I traveled from the Midwest (Missouri to Arizona) and can give some add'l insight to help your decision

(Voice quality)
    AT&T is going to give pretty good coverage in Metro areas and Suburban areas. AT&T is weaker in rural areas. Voice quality will seem better on AT&T but the signal is more prone to drop do to its requirement for higher quality. During a field study AT&T came in second behind Verizon for least dropped calls this is one of the reasons. Overall if you are close to a metro area and don't venture to far into the sticks AT&T coverage (voice) will be fine. (AT&T claims to cover 98% of the population) population is the key word

Verizon you will find your phone on voice will work pretty much everywhere so if you were lost in the middle of nowhere Verizon is the service you would want it operates on CDMA very old but very powerful and reliable technology it just works. It is also used with Morse code mention this just to show its age. However, the voice quality which is acceptable to pretty much everyone operates at a lower bandwidth 56k.

I would say AT&T takes the cake on voice quality.

Coverage (voice and data)

AT&T
    Aforementioned, AT&T covers a good part of the population but does not venture well in the rural areas but you will have access to their voice services anywhere along a major interstate, metro area or suburban area. However, you will start to drop more call and or miss them as you venture into the countryside area. AT&T data does great in metro Area you will enjoy their high speed data services hspa which is fast you should get on average 3-5Mbps down which is good. Alternatively, their Hspa+ you should see a nice increase to 5-7 Mbps and higher depending on congestion. Lastly, their LTE network you can see anywhere from 10+ Mbps what is Great! about AT&T 3 and 4G network is they are both fast so if you're not in a 4G area the fall back network is still fast enough to stream movies, music etc. without a glitch. To add talk and browse on either network at the same time is pretty cool especially when your on a business call and need to get some info from your email. ATT 4G is expanding but about a year behind Verizon which will mimic their 3G coverage map respectfully

Verizon
    It's almost common knowledge that VZW has the best coverage, more towers show they have the biggest voice and data network hands down. To break down their voice network like I said before it's old and it just works and works well however, their data 3G is okay you will get speeds up to 3Mbps depending traffic. But you will get this service in Metro, suburban and rural areas. So on that road trip you won’t get to many interruptions in your data services. You cannot talk and browse on the 3G network. On the other hand, Verizon 4G networks you will find are fast and is expanding at an alarming rate. I have done test on this and got 41 Mbps down 15 Mbps up which is crazy for a smart phone. You can talk and browse on their 4G network

I will give this one to Verizon for coverage and the speed they are expanding their 4G service

(Plans)

This comes down to flexibility which company offers more for the money

ATT
    1400 min plan 89.99
    Per line 9.99
    Features:
    10 A-list unlimited calling to these numbers
    $30 Mobile to any mobile w/messaging (call any cell phone unlimited mins)
    $15 nights starting at 7pm instead of 9pm
    Unlimited night and weekends
    Unlimited ATT to ATT calling
    Roll over mins.
    Data plan $30 for 3GB

Verizon
    1400 min plan 89.98
    9.99 Per line
    Features
    $30 unlimited texting
    10 friends and family
    Unlimited VZW to VZW
    Unlimited night and weekends
    Data plan $30 for 2GB

On comparing plans I am going to score AT&T with this for giving more bang for your buck and flexibility.

Final match up.

Global

AT&T works with GSM which is pretty much used in every country and off the top of my head the exceptions are Mexico and Israel so, someone who travels might want to go with a GSM device which most countries allow you to purchase a local sim card to use which is way cheaper!

Verizon works with CDMA which is mainly used in Mexico, Israel and will work in Canada and some eastern Asian countries that are also Dual technology but not widely used at all.

Global I would say AT&T takes the cake

My total score for ATT: 3 VS VZW: 1

However, if you live in the stick you probably only have 1 choice and that's VZW. I actually have Verizon as a service which was my last employer I do contract work for a lot of telecoms and thought I would provide insight on both companies since I have worked with both. Don't get me wrong I love my VZW service but when you break it down AT&T is a more rounded company.

7. mrjohn

mrjohn New Member

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Yeah I agree AT&T voice quality is much better. So far AT&T has worked everywhere I've needed it to. I've switched all my lines to AT&T but I got a cheap Verizon prepaid also since there are some things I do like about Verizon. That would kind of give me the best of both worlds without breaking the bank.

8. mrjohn

mrjohn New Member

So far things have been great and am very happy with the switch. Anymobile has been a great feature and the network has been very reliable so no complaints from me.