Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Complete the list...where does each carrier stand?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by bobolito, Jun 12, 2002.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Aiwapro, in order for us to give an unbiased opinion, we all have to sit down and read all about every carrier rate plans. In order for VS to reach second place GSM has to expand first and that's not entirely up to them. Also, VS would have to merge or be bought by a bigger carrier and hope that most CDMA and TDMA customers move to GSM (hehe, not anytime soon). By the time that happens, they will probably have another name because another company will probably buy them. In the meantime, keep dreaming.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I don't think they have to be bought

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I just read on a website that Cricket is the 9th largest provider in the US in terms of customers.

"With more than 1.387 million Cricket customers as of March 31, 2002, Leap has become the ninth largest wireless carrier in the U.S. in terms of customers."

http://www.cellular-news.com/search/index.php?term=usa

Top 9 Wireless Providers in the US

1. Verizon
    2. Cingular
    3. AT&T
    4. Sprint
    5. Nextel
    6. VoiceStream
    7. ALLTEL
    8. US Cellular
    9. Leap Wireless (Cricket)

4. dakman33

dakman33 Junior Member

If hypothetically(wink-wink), Cingular and AT&T were to say...merge (7-3-02), What would that do to those numbers in terms of their placing in that list?

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They would probably go above Verizon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    A Cingular/AT&T merger would knock Verizon out of the number 1 spot.

Verizon has around 30 million customers I think while a Cingular/AT&T merger would have around 40 million I think but don't quote me on those numbers. However I don't see Cingular and AT&T merging not anytime soon or in the future.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A Cingular/AT&T merger would only mean lots of people will no longer have good rate plans and the freedom Cingular offers. For me, it is the worse thing that can happen.

8. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah Bobolito I don't really want AT&T and Cingular to merge either. I like both companies respectively by themselves. A Cingular/VoiceStream merger I might not mind seeing though.

9. aiwapro

A Cingular/Voicestream merger wouldn't bring Voiceatream anything but customers. Cingular doesn't have any GSM coverage that Voicestream reallt needs or anything, except for the Carolina, which is already and has always been a roaming agreement.

10. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Talking about Verizon and not adding that many customers, I think part of that is they have set their credit standards way too high, I know of several people who have tried to sign up with them and were turned down. Anyone else notice this?

11. aiwapro

I have heard that their's are pretty high 'coalminer.' I know when they ask for a deposit it is much higher than everyone elses.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think another reason why Verizon Wireless did so badly last quarter is repuation. Yes Verizon Wireless is known to have good coverage, but customer service wise I have heard a lot of bad things about them.

Customer service is a big issue for people and they don't want shotty customer service and rude people. Not knocking Verizon but I've heard several stories of poor customer with them, thats why I would be ireary to try them myself.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Maybe Triton's churn is so low because Triton autorenews their customers. The ETF would definately help lower churn.[​IMG]

14. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The auto renew may help in SunCom (Triton PCS) having such a low churn rate but they also have over 2,000 cell sites on there network which is quite a bit given there smaller size.

Triton PCS also has an average of 150 cell sites per million people while the industry average is just 100 that has to help too [​IMG]

15. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How were they able to get that many sites and how can they afford to run that many and still make a profit? Each sites costs anywhere between $700 and $2000 a month just in rent.

16. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I have no idea how they do it and afford it Larry but they do, this month I got a little brochure in with my bill. It stated they now have over 2,000 cell sites on there network with a list of improvemeants located below it.

Triton PCS is very agressive in building new towers and they have one of the highest cell site densitys in the entire US Wireless industry. SunCom (Triton PCS) also has contiguous coverage along 377 miles of Interstate I-81 from Winchester, Va. to Kingsport, Tenn.

17. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have to admit it is impressive for such a small carrier. I can tell you that most carriers wouldn't be funded enough for that type of build-out and would lose money if they did. Maybe AT&T and their big $$ are somehow helping to fund this?