Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Commnet selling Mountain City (TN) license to VZW

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by roamer1, Oct 15, 2006.

1. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    This was long, long overdue...VZW will finally have licenses for every single county in TN.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=3663778

I'll miss telling people about the crazy backhaul from Mountain City to Yuma, AZ...now all I can talk about is Winchester, VA to Louisville, KY (Nextel Partners, assuming Sprint Nextel eating Partners doesn't change that.) :lmao:

Given this and the recent deal with Cingular for Sussex County, NJ, I don't think we're finished seeing Commnet sell off territory...I suspect we'll see them dump more areas where most/all roaming is from one carrier (namely Lake Isabella, CA, where VZW is pretty much the only carrier that roams on Commnet; Cingular and T-Mobile both have native coverage and Sprint and Alltel roam on Cingular AMPS -- Sprint generally avoids Commnet and Alltel doesn't roam on them at all), areas where there is little to no traffic at all these days (Florida Keys, where all four majors have native coverage...I bet the Keys license lands up with Alltel), and areas Cingular now wishes the blue entity hadn't dumped off (Durango, CO/Taos, NM).

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 roamer1, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  2. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    They switched Tennessee out of Arizona? I can't believe maintaining that would be cheaper than just putting in a new switch. Wow.

3. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Comparing the costs of fiber/per month versus a switch I'd take the fiber. Average CDMA switch costs between 3-5million depending on the options. Not to mention the custom building and the staff for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    A switch dedicated to one or two cell sites would be overkill... :)

-SC

5. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Is that all they had out there? Wow.. :D

6. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Wow, now that I didn't know! Makes it seem a little more reasonable now.

7. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    And their only GSM switch is in Castle Rock, CO. I have been roaming on Commnet more and more with T-Mobile phones...and less & less on Verizon phones. Verizon has been using their new (Qwest) PCS spectrum to stop roaming on Commnet.

Commnet gets good roaming revenue from sites like Taos/Farmington and I hope they can keep it. It is more likely they will offer roaming to T-Mobile than Cingular would. T-Mo has sites in most towns, but not in surrounding communities.

Commnet also have the advantage of offering service in communities where they have no license. Many carriers contract w/Commnet to serve small towns, so they could survive with nearly no spectrum of their own.