Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CNet article regarding AT&T "Thanks" pgm

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by KevinJames, Jul 21, 2016.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Here's the article: http://www.cnet.com/news/at-ts-thanks-keeps-existing-phone-customers-happy/

Personal observations:
    1. The churn that AT&T experiences as losses directly related to T-Mobile, I don't think they have much to worry about. I am still hearing from locals I know that are leaving T-Mobile due to spotty service. I doubt they would go with Sprint, because it would mean changing phones. For the same reason, I doubt they'd take on Verizon even though its coverage is historically the best. (So why don't I have Verizon if I feel that way? Because it is indeed a trade-off between cost and service. The only place I have not had service in my local area is inside Kaiser Permanente facilities. So far, the longest time I stayed there was 3 days due to a post-surgery emergency health situation. After that, I actually did research on picking up a wireless hotspot from Verizon on prepay. That way, I can activate it for short periods of time without a lot of overhead. As my health continues its downward spiral, I may actually get one.)

2. I've had U-Verse and, before AT&T acquired DirecTV, I had them too. U-Verse sucks. I've even spoken to small business owners that use it to provide wifi to customers. It is down frequently. DirecTV was the absolute worst experience I've had in TV service. Dish was good, but about once a year we'd have high winds in the valley that would sufficiently tweak the dish to prevent service. Getting them back out in a timely fashion just wouldn't happen. (And believe me, you don't want to deal with my wife when she can't watch TV, LOL.) Even though I am paying a premium, I currently use the local cable company (Comcast) for a bundled TV and internet package. After the introductory period, I am now paying $140/month. I'm not happy about it, but any high-speed internet and TV combination (whether packaged or through separate companies) is at least that amount. If Google Fiber ever comes to town (I'll probably be dead before then), I will gladly check them out.

2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Altice Mobile
    1. Does Kaiser Permanente not offer free Wi-Fi? Meridian, the hospital chain I spent a lot of time in this year, facilities all had free Wi-Fi with the same sign-in. Set it up once and I was good to go; calls and data.

2. The price of TV + Internet is ridiculous. Every time they raise the price, I drop channels, set-top boxes, services. I never really miss the dropped channels and soon I'll be down to one box. I put an antenna in the attic and it works great; 35+ free HD channels on TVs that I used to pay for cable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @JFB: Kaiser does offer wifi but coverage is very spotty. Even the staff have remarked that Kaiser's commitment to providing wifi is a "lick and a promise."

Regarding TV: If it weren't for my wife, I would not even have a TV. When Bob Barker left The Price is Right, my wife said she'd stop watching it. She didn't stop watching it. She actually likes Drew more. Same games, played over and over again for DECADES, but she is hooked. She even records them so she can watch them again! Mindless addiction! But, I've become OCD over reading the news on my phone, so there you have it. We're all becoming the mesmerized people on WallE. Her screen is the TV. Mine is my phone.

[​IMG]