Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cloud security article.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, Mar 3, 2016.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
  2. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Surprised that none find this interesting enough to comment on.

Not just an Apple issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Hmm... it makes perfect sense, what's there to say? :)

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Like politicians that becloud & skew the issues, overwhelm the public with rhetoric, and turn even the simplist of things into a train wreck, I think we are all just mind-spinningly dumbfounded on the real issue and feel helpless against authority. I was reading the Wikipedia write-up on "Colossus: The Forbin Project." In the synopsis the article wrote: "Colossus, becoming sentient after being activated and deciding to assume control of the world and all human affairs for the good of mankind." I think that is pretty much the way we see Big Brother today. There is no stopping it.

5. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I guess that I convinced myself that my info was protected in the cloud too, as it is on my phone. Seems the phone is more secure. Unless I back up to my Mac only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I do backup to my Mac, which is backed up to an external drive.

I learnt the hard way when the Cloud service I was using before (not iCloud), lost one whole album due to a server glitch.

Sent from my iPhone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'm very old school on this. Anything storage outside of my possession I consider more or less unprotected and try not to store any sensitive data that isn't already encrypted. And redundant local backups are a good thing to have :)

charlyee likes this.
  8. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    @dmapr.

With this exception: if I break my iPhone while away from home...go to the nearest Apple Store ( or have one shipped to me), get the replacement under my Apple Care, and via the iCloud my iPhone is completely restored with all my data, photos, apps and settings, OTA. All without having to have my laptop with me.

9. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Vf, depending on what you have on your phone, not everything is backed up doing iCloud back up. Here's what doesn't:

"what does iCloud not back up? Well, of course, everything not mentioned here won’t get backed up, but the important content that doesn’t get included with iCloud backups include music, movies, and TV shows not purchased from the iTunes Store, apps, podcasts and audio books, and photos that were originally synced from your computer (as opposed to photos taken on your iPhone or iPad)."

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/10/13/what-does-icloud-back-up/

Sent from my iPhone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    As charlyee said, there are exceptions (although some items not purchased through iTunes do not get restored even with a local backup, at least it seems that I have to put them on the phone manually every time I restore my wife's phone).

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks Charlyee for reminding me. It's good to know, however it is a really small list, None of which applies to me.

One advantage of being an Apple garden user for so long: all my music, TV and Movies are from iTunes. And the music that was NOT imported, has been duplicated with iTunes Match years ago. And now with Apple streaming, some are not even on my iPhone any longer.

Same with apps, pod casts, photos. My photos are from the phone camera or synced to my iPad. I think my audiobook from Amazon are saved...regardless they are in the Amazon cloud and can be re downloaded.

Recently I've been traveling for 5 weeks at a time. The important point are the little things that ARE backed up to the cloud ( on a nighty basis too), from your article reference. Those settings details are critical to have when you are far away from your computer.

It works really well. And I've done it several times, in fact at least once a year.

Here’s the full list that ARE backed up to to the ICloud— a lot of good details that are important to have.

Text shortcuts in Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement
    Signatures in Preview for Mac, under Tools > Signatures
    Stocks
    Weather
    WiFi connections/Settings, if iCloud Keychain is enabled
    Favorites marked in Maps with the share sheet
    Searches in Maps
    Learned Dictionary words
    iTunes wishlist
    Playback positions in Apple’s Podcasts app
    Blocked numbers in Messages and Phone
    Call history between iPhones, or on iPad and Mac in FaceTime > Audio
    Safari tabs
    Safari history
    Reading position in iBooks
    VIP lists in Mail
    Signatures in Mail
    Favorites in Apple’s Trailers app
    HomeKit settings and devices

This is all the non-obvious stuff, though. There are also other things that get backed up to iCloud, including purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books, as well as photos and videos in your Camera Roll, device settings, app data, home screen and app organization, iMessage, SMS, and MMS messages, ringtones, and visual voicemail.

So, btw, does android have the equivalent for each manufacturer, Samsung, etc?

#11 viewfly, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Vf, to me there is one biggie in that small list. iCloud doesn't backup photos synched from a computer.

All my albums are synched from a computer and the albums contain selected photos that are in temporary albums created for the purpose. The albums are deleted from the computer after it syncing

dmapr, I have music not purchased from the iTunes Store that did get backed up on my Mac, maybe I just lucked out.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    It seems my answer to dmapr's 'Old School' comment is misunderstood. My impression is he ( and you) don't do any cloud backups.

I'm not pitching either PC only vs Cloud only. Do both. I do.

I'm saying that not doing a cloud ( in my case iCloud, nightly) has big disadvantages for me. Lost phone, broken phone, can be easily restored with darn nearly everything ( and for me everything), while away from a PC ( unless you carry one with you everywhere).

The alternative is no phone, or a basic restore.

Charlyee, the Apple photo cloud drive would allow to to store PC photos in the cloud. Even Yahoo gives you a gigabyte of storage for free. IIRC

14. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    @viewfly, Android has Google backup, not sure about manufacturer specific implementations as I've never had any experience with a manufacturer specific version of Android. However the app developers control what gets backed up and what doesn't, so there's no guarantee even with a local backup. But all of the user data can be backed up locally, as it can be mounted as a storage device. None of it gets backed up to the cloud as is, although each app can have its own backup. So photos for example can be backed up automatically. In fact, Android will actively suggest backing up photos in every new location that it discovers, regardless of where the photos come from.

@charlyee, no idea about music as my wife has deleted all of it from her phone. Audio books definitely did not get restored.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes your impression is correct, I don't do any iCloud backup.

Yes, I know and as I mentioned before, I lost an entire album from a well known Cloud Storage, when they had server problems.

I guess I am "old fashioned" as well. :D

Sent from my iPad Air 2

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    A Mac iTunes backup is good. But my iCloud back up is automatic and daily. So a very fresh copy of what is on my iPhone.
    I do the iTunes back up must less frequently. As it takes more effort. And on travel I have no Macbook with me.

The more back ups the better.

17. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    You probably misunderstood me. It's not that I'm against cloud backups or turn them off. I just treat them like they're not there. If they are and happen to come through, great! But if I'm doing something where I expect to have to restore, it's a local backup all the way.

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ah, okay,good. It didn't sound that way.

Breaking, losing or having a phone stolen is never planned. Nor is where it may happen and where your back up PC maybe.

That is what I'm saying.

And If you can't get your PC based photos restored right away, well they are safely at home waiting for you.

This year I spent two consecutive 5 weeks far away from home. If I lost my phone, I felt good knowing another was available and my contacts and all would start loading up as soon as I was leaving the Apple Store, OTA.

Apple gives each device 5 GB free. 50 GB is only $0.99/Month. 5 is enough for most. But for $12 I use the 50 since its shared with the iPhone and iPad.

#18 viewfly, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  19. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    All good points of course.

In my case, as soon as I configure my email, the contacts, calendar, and mail start populating the device. I have typically done this standing in the store.

My travels work or vacation, usually take me to far away places where the nearest Apple Store is 50-600 miles away and one country did not even have an Apple Store, an European country at that.

So I guess I would be out of luck until I get back home. I do carry my old Nokia as a backup and plan on getting a newer backup sometime.

On my next vacation I will be out of cellphone coverage for 3/20 days at a minimum, so at least my phone will be safe those 3 days - j/k. :)

#19 charlyee, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  20. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Indeed Charlyee, you travel to distant areas. I've never looked into what the process might be for a replacement of a damaged iPhone in such remote areas. Would we be allowed to have Apple ship a return box, and get a replacement in the mail? That is a possibility elsewhere.

Of course that all depends how long you would be in that location. One again, I toy with the idea of keeping my 6S, when the7 comes out this fall.

Or for a lost phone would an eBay purchase or a local shop be an option? Or do I grin and bear not having a phone for weeks on travel? Certainly in the US or or most of Europe I would get a replacement. Too many important travel app and things I would like to have around.

There is something magical seeing your apps, contacts, iMessages, photos, etc download as you stand in the store and drive home.

21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Looking like Apple is addressing my question about iCloud back up security.

"Apple is working to further harden iCloud security so that even it won't be able to access user information stored on its data servers, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

According to yesterday's report, which cites "people familiar with the matter", Apple executives are actively considering how to bolster iCloud encryption without inconveniencing users.

Currently, encrypted data kept on the cloud service is accessible by Apple using a key, which is used for restoring account information if, for example, a user forgets their password. Apple's access also allows the company to provide relevant information it has to law enforcement agencies that approach it with proper, legal requests.

However, Apple appears to be concerned that keeping a copy of the key means it could be compromised by hackers or that the company could be legally compelled to turn it over to governments. "