Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Clearwire Wireless Tower - Land Lease Question

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by teknic, Jul 22, 2006.

1. teknic

teknic New Member

I'm new to the site so I'm not sure if I'm asking this question in the right area or even if this question is okay to ask so please forgive me in advance if I violate any rules I'm not aware of.

Clearwire has contacted me and needs to lease a small section of my back yard to build a shed for thier control unit that will control the wireless tower that will be placed on top of the power pole. For using my land and building the shed, etc, they have offered to pay $500/mo. I wanted to see if that sounded right or fair. I didn't know if this figure was negotiable or what. Do you have any ideas?

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Negotiate! Get as much as you can and make sure you and a lawyer review the full contract. Get all the details about how they'll access it, how much room they get, how much extra they pay if they add more capacity. Who pays to remove the tower if they no longer need it? Etc, etc...

Check out http://www.steelintheair.com

This can be very profitable for you, but can also bite you in the butt later on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    It depends on several factors. What are they bringing in for utilities, and what easements do they need (utility easements, ingress/egress, etc...). What size vehicles are allowed to use the easement and how often/at what times. How mush space are they taking up (square footage of footprint).

On the terms side, you want to include language that says something to the effect of it is for 3 years, and automatically renews after that for one year periods until they terminate in writing XX days in advance. Upon each renewal period the monthly lease fee (site license) shall increase by a rate of 3% or CPI (Consumer Price Index) whichever is greater. Also force them to maintain an escrow of XX dollars, or pay you a sum up front to guarantee financial coverage for the removal of the site should they choose to vacate the location upon termination or bankruptcy.

And like the person above said, negotiate. $500 sounds fair if all they are doing is using non-essential space on you property that is taking up less than say 100 square feet (10'x10'), but it never hurts to ask for more.;)

4. WirelessRave

WirelessRave New Member

free car payment.. not to shabby

5. GopherWireless

GopherWireless Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    Definitely have a lawyer check it out.

Negotiate through them. See if you can get hooked up with free Clearwire service thrown in. I have it and I love it!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Like Wirles mentioned, get annual increases rather than term increases. It doesn't seem like much, but it will get you alot more money over the years.

If C.W. is going on an existing pole and all they want is space for their 5'x10 cabinet pad and probably some utility pedestels, they should only need about 200 sq ft. If that is all the space they need, and they are not putting up a pole, anything over $500 would br a bonus.

Two warnings:

1. Don't get too greedy. Getting $500 per month for a small piece of undeveloped land is pretty good.

2. More importantly - Don't let your lawyer blow the deal for you. If he tries to get tough and change a bunch of lease language, C.W. might walk. Even more important, if your lawyer wastes a bunch of time reviewing the lease, you might not hear back from CW. Time is the most important factor, and if you drag your feet, they will walk. I don't work for C.W., but I know they are building their network here, and they want to do it fast.

#6 chuikov, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  7. GopherWireless

GopherWireless Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    Teknic, did you get the agreement worked out?

8. Jonathan Kramer

Jonathan Kramer Telecom Atty/RF Engr.

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (as of 8/13/08)
    C:

As one of them, thar people, I generally agree with your sentiment. There are certainly lawyers out there that might crash an otherwise good deal on a minor point. ;) The issue is, what's a minor point to the client that's been adequately informed. :confused:

I have a saying that applies to the core of my work: "Council has the right to make the wrong decision, as long as they're properly informed."

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

Best,

Jonathan

9. phthalo42

phthalo42 New Member

I was just doing a google search for "Clearwire Tower locations" and your letter showed up. I joined this site just to say something to you. I see this was posted over 3 months ago, so I'm wondering what you decided. I was looking actually to see if there was a map of where all the towers are. I have been hearing how they are really dangerous. That they put out a lot of radiation, and noise and give people insomnia and cancer. I feel really concerned for people who have them near by. Realtors can not sell houses that are near them because of the dangers, And the value of the houses are going down because of them. While the money may be tempting, you might want to look into the health risks.

10. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Actually, the last response to this thread was 2006, not 3 months ago. I'm not sure where you are making this information up from, but do you care to back up your noise, insomnia and cancer statement? It's a good thing that the FCC does not allow you to challenge a cell site based on health reasons, as people like you spread misinformation with no proof of any sort.
    Even if the FCC did allow such cases, the typical output of a cell site is several times lower than the typical microwave oven in almost every house puts out. Don't make up nonsense because T-Mobile once put up an ugly tower in 2004 somewhere near you.

11. phthalo42

phthalo42 New Member

Thanks, ya, I didn't notice the year. Guess this site doesn't get a lot of action. Surprised you saw it. There are meetings all over Portland about the dangers of the Clearwire Towers if you want information. They are planning on putting them every 8 blocks apparently.
    Do you have any proof that they are safe?

12. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This thread got plenty of action when it was posted in 2006, as evidenced by the multiple responses. When I come to the site, I just get a list of all threads with new posts.
    I must ask, what evidence of any dangers of these clearwire sites are there in these meetings, as I am not in the Portland area. The reason the FCC does not allow anyone to fight a cell site on health reasons is because there has never been any study to show (or disprove) that the signals they emit are harmful. RF frequencies are a part of everyday life, since long before the first cell phone ever made a call. Unless you are standing a few inches in front of a cellular antenna that is mounted 40 feet up on a pole, there should be no issue.
    The real reason people are up in arms is because of the aesthetic issue. However, the typical clearwire install in not your regular 150 foot tall monopole. They are generally attached to existing structures, and do not require their own pole.

1 person likes this.
  13. phthalo42

phthalo42 New Member

I have not done research myself. I have several friends who are attending meetings and seeing what can be done about the one going into their neighborhood. There are a lot people involved and they seem well informed, and don't seem to be fanatics or anything. They apparently do have some proof, but I do not know what it is. I haven't attending the meetings yet. Haven't heard mention of the ugliness, just health concerns and property values.

14. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If they have any "proof" that there is a legitimate health concern from these sites, they are the first in the world to have such evidence. Property values are one thing, as no one wants to see a giant steel pole in their back yard, but health is another. If possibly, when you are able to find out what this proof is, I'm sure everyone here would like to read it
    Good luck on getting clearwire to avoid your area.
    By the way, do you personally own and use a cell phone?

15. phthalo42

phthalo42 New Member

Do you work for a cell phone company by any chance?

16. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I do not, no.

17. phthalo42

phthalo42 New Member

I do have one, but only because I have to where my painting studio is in order to buzz people through the door. I don't use it much for financial and health reasons.
    I'm not fanatical or anything but pay attention to information where health is concerned.
    I looked up some info on google and there is information about cancer in children going up in the areas near the towers and other things:

Cell Phone Towers: How Far is Safe? - EMF-Health.com
    Cell Tower Health Risks

But then this article says its not so dangerous...
    Cell Tower Health Risks

I'm just not sure what to think, but my opinion is we don't need it, and there are definite health concerns. I wouldn't want one in my yard no matter how much they paid me. Would you?

18. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Actually, I most certainty would. If the setup is done properly and is aesthetically pleasing, you should never eve know it is there (aside from the check in the mail every month). The fact is that just about everything in your daily life has has a study that says either it gives you cancer, or that it is good for you.
    Whether it is french fries, fumes from cars and trucks, sunburn, or anything really, there are potential health risks everywhere.

19. W2NJS

W2NJS New Member

Y'all should remember that the answer to unwanted RF radiation is to wear your little aluminum hat everywhere you go.

God, I get so very tired of reading the unfounded reports from the non-techie doomsayers. You'd think they'd have had the chance, and the will, by now to read up on all the studies that have been done.

20. Jonathan Kramer

Jonathan Kramer Telecom Atty/RF Engr.

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (as of 8/13/08)
    Actually, the aluminum hat won't do much good unless it's grounded. jlk

1 person likes this.
  21. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Woah! Man did this post come out of nowhere!
    How have you been JK?

22. W2NJS

W2NJS New Member

Here is what I believe is the original tinfoil hat song:

The Tinfoil Hat Song

Not much, if anything, to do with electronics, but we all need a break sometime.

Regards to all,

Tom, W2NJS
    Washington DC