Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

clarity expectation

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My wife and I are new to cell phones. We each have a Motov60 on ATT shared plan in NW Washington. Conversations are often broken (with short lapses in connection) when using the phones. My question is...is this expected with cell phones? I assumed technology had progressed beyond these problems. Is there something that can be done? 60.00 a month isn't worth it if my wife is frustrated...you married guys know what I mean.[​IMG]

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When you say "lapses in connection" I am assuming you mean the gap between the time you say something and the moment it is heard in the other phone. This is inherent in ALL digital transmission technologies. ALL digital cellphones have this delay which is approximately 0.3 seconds. Even DirecTV, which is a form of digital TV, has a delay from the time something happens in the TV channel, and the time you watch it on your TV. Of course, this doesn't happen in analog.

If you are referring to sound breakup (short periods of no sound) while someone is talking, this may happen when there's weak signal or interference in the signal. This can be corrected by repositioning the phone, or getting closer to a window. This is a problem considered normal to a certain degree as long as it is at an acceptable level. However, this should not happen so often to become a problem in the conversation causing the parts to constanly ask "what did you say?". In this case you may want to check your signal strength and consult with customer service.

Keep in mind that sound breakup is normal when nobody is talking in a specific moment as it is a part of noise cancellation features of your phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    No, it's not normal. Unfortunately, you have discovered some AT&T 'bad' spots. While it is very difficult to 'bite the bullet', it appears as though AT&T may not be right for you. You can get out of your contract if you are within your fist 30 days. AT&T is not bad everywhere, though. If it happens everywhere, I would suspect your phone(s).

If you need to consider another carrier, Voicestream, Verizon, Sprint PCS, and Nextel work well in Seattle, but Verizon and Sprint are a little better outside of town. And Verizon also offers the v60 phone. Ask your neighbors. Also, it would help to know where you live.

-Bill Radio

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Let's read again. Maybe I didn't express myself clear enough:

Sound breakup IS normal when nobody is talking in a specific moment as it is a part of noise cancellation features of your phone.
    In other words, in a moment of silence, some phones close the microphone to cancel noise and some models even turn off the transmitter to save battery. Have you ever heard of Voice Activation? These are technical facts.

It is NOT normal though, to have breakups at the moment people is talking.

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I will have to agree with Bill on this one. IF you are in your first 30 days cancel.

All providers will have bad spots. but it seems like the poster is not happy with the coverage anywhere in the city

Jack

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the information everyone. We have been happy with clarity for the past 4 days. I've avoided using phone from center 'pit' of my place of employment. ATT seems to be the right choice for us and we love the motorola phones.

David