Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Clamshell vs Candybar

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by MOTOhooligan, Oct 27, 2005.

?

Clamshell or Candybar?

Poll closed Jan 25, 2006.
  1. Clamshell

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Candybar

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've never had problems with flips scratching the screen, and I've had StarTac, Moto V60, Moto V551, and Moto V3. Even if I did have that problem, I am rough on my phones, I don't baby them. Often my phones get tossed in my pocket with my car keys. A bar phone would get scratched very easily, and far worse than any scratching that could be done by the keypad.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I haven't had a problem either with my flips getting the screen scratched, I think with a bar phone I would keep it in a seperate pocket or use a belt clip to keep the screen protected.

3. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think it really matters whether is flip or candybar, it will get scratched with wear and tear eventually.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

That's not always true Tony, I think it's all on the owner of the phone & how much they care for their phone. I have had both flip & candybar phones and only 1 had a scratched screen (which was a candy bar) due to it falling, otherwise I haven't had any screens get scratched. I know quite a few people that haven't dealt with scratched screens either flip or candybar.

With the smart phones most people use screen protectors so that almost totally prevents it from happening.

5. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    And i agree with you to a certain point, obviously if i wrap my phone with screen protectors that will save the phone from scratches on the screens, i've had all kinds of phones myself, and no matter how much i take care of them, scratches are inevitable and not because one does not take care of them, and believe me, i take care of them, but it's mainly because of a design flaw, take the Razr for example, the keypad tends to leave marks on the inner screen, my i880 gets tiny scratches on the front screen because it's made from plastic and not glass, yes i can put screen protectors on either type of phone, but if we're talking about candybar vs fliphones each design has it's pros and cons which imho is why i think it doesn't matter whether your phone is a flip or candybar.

#65 Tony E!, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've had my LX-350 for over 18 months now and no scratches at all. Of course I'm probably more careful than the average person.

Also there were some Motorola flips that had problems with the screen getting marked up from the flip closing. But I've never heard of this happening on most brands and models. I think it was just a poor design by the manufacturer.

7. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I can see where it can happen and since I am on my 2nd Razr since my 1st one died 5 months old I guess I got lucky and didn't have that problem yet.
    I agree the wear pads could wear down fast or be designed poorly on many phones and I can see where it happens, so I guess I will just be happy that I haven't experienced it yet.
    Of course with the amount of texting I do now, I do open & close the flip more now so I will see if it does happen and to what time extent it starts.

I don't plan on wrapping my phone in a screen protector, it's too hard to open then :p

8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    See, here is an advantage I see of bar phones over flips. I SMS a lot too, 6367 to be exact with 5 days left in my billing cycle, I find my Treo to be perfect for this.

I have had screen protectors on all my phones, whether they were bar or flip , on my camera screen, my PDAs, you get the picture. :D, but the screen is not the only place a phone can get scratched as has been mentioned before, my 6131 has scratches along the side of the keypad and I would bet it is in the same place as Joe described for his 6126.

There are fully body screen protectors available for most PDAs & PDAPhones but you are right it wouldn't work with your V3xx. :p

9. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes I agree on the reason a Candybar is better when it comes to texting, prior to getting the V3xx I didn't do much texting and if I had known I would become a texting fool I probably would have went with a candybar phone.

They make full body screen protectors? I didn't know that & I wouldn't use one either. Unless they make a full body for 2? then I will go for it, if I find one want to see if it will work for 2? :browani: