Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Clamshell vs Candybar

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by MOTOhooligan, Oct 27, 2005.

?

Clamshell or Candybar?

Poll closed Jan 25, 2006.
  1. Clamshell

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Candybar

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    We all have our preferences... in the US it seems that more and more people are migrating to clamshell (or, if you must, 'flip') phones. Let your opinion be known!

Edit: I didn't include lesser-used styles of handsets (like spinners or sliders) because, as the phrase lesser-used would indicate, they aren't used that much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've always had clamshell (I like to say flip though) style phones. Motorola StarTac, Motorola V60t, & my current Motorola V551. I like that the buttons are covered when you are not using the phone so the phone isn't accidentally dialed. The phone has its own built-in case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. adgsteve

adgsteve Tower Hunting Addict

My Phone:
    Nokia 6350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    I'm not sure why, but I just don't like flip phones. I can't think of anything specific that I don't like about them, they just don't appeal to me. Guess that's a matter of personal taste, or maybe because I've never had one, I don't know. :headscrat

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I like candybar style. Some of the reasons that come to mind are:

1. In the using position(flip open), the candybar is invariably smaller & I like small phones.

2. No hinges to start creaking or wobbling after couple months of use.

I typically lock my key pad and use screen protectors, so that removes 2 of the minuses for me.:)

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have had both candybar (Motorola v2397, Nokia 6015i) and clamshell (Motorola Timport P8197, Motorola v60t, Motorola v600, Samsung SGH-e315) and I prefer the clamshell handsets to the candybar handsets but only slightly. I like the smaller form factor of the closed clamshell and the fact that I can just put it in my pocket without having to worry about keyguard. Plus, I find that clamshells fit my face better than newer candybars, which are smaller than I would prefer (Motorola c332, Nokia 2260, Nokia 3300.) I don't have that problem, however, with the Nokia 6015i, it fits just fine. The 6015i is the exception, though.

6. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    have a bar phone and next phone will probably be clamshell :browani:

7. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I really prefer Clamshell phones, but since I'm so smitten w/ my T650, I make do w/ my candybar phone...;)

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'd like to see Sprint offer more candy bar style phones and less flips. The ones they have now are low end.

9. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I haven't owned a candybar phone in ages. It's clammies all the way for me!! :D

10. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    have a flip phone and next phone will probably be bar

11. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    I've had mostly candybar-style phones, and right now I have a bar (E398) and a flip (V188). Also, it seems that most of the phones I really want lately are bar-stlye. But I still love the flip. I don't know, I guess I don't have a preference. But I also enjoy flipping phones a lot :D. I once made this comment here:

One thing I like about flip phones is the fact that when you are incredibly mad or excited, it is a better release to be able to slam-closed your cell phone rather than vigerously pressing the end button and risk throwing the phone to release the extra adreneline(sp?). Yannow?

Anyway, I voted candybar because its my main phone right now.

12. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I've owned flips and bar phones and I have to say that clamshell is better. Whenever I had the bar-style devices, I would forget to lock the keypad; I'd end up calling someone I didnt want to talk to and wasting minutes. Although cell phones have gotten smaller over time, the clamshells feel better in my hands.:p

13. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I prefer flip style phones, just the looks and style alone makes it a winner for me, candy bar phones just seem too boring imo though the SLVR might change my mind....BTW i've owned alot of flip style phones and have never had any of them creak on me, must be the lower end models and also how you treat your phone....

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I like the candy bar style I have had both. I cant really say why I like it so much it just feels better to me.

15. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Same here. I've never had a hinge creak or break on me, but I've always had higher end Motorola phones. I paid $200 (or was it $250?) for my StarTac and $150 for my V60t. My V551 was the cheapest of all (and has the most features) at $99.

16. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Per your defination of high end, I have always used high-end phones then, whether it is flip or candy bar. Although I wouldn't define high end by high much I paid for it but more by how feature rich it is. Since you can get any phone for $0-$500, eventually with the right deal & patience.

Maybe creak is not the right word, I should have said the hinge starts to have a "play" in it & since I am a stickler for perfection in manufacturing, it bothers me.

Just my 2 cents.:)

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    When I say high end I mean of course, for the time in which the phone was purchased. Each time I could have chosen some lesser model for free, but I upgrade to a phone that I would be happy with. I've never had play in the hinge of any of my phones. I did drop my StarTac once on a concrete sidewalk and cracked the case, but Motorola replaced it free under warranty.

18. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    its flip phones for me. moto v710:)

19. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am split down the middle, right now I have my V551 but if Nokia comes out with a similar version of the 6230 that would be my next phone.

20. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    I prefer flips but my treo is a candybar, but more like a bar of soap because of its width!!

21. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I used candybar phones for a long time & up till last year, then I got a Moto clamshell & like the look & feel of the phone, it seems better to me using a clamshell when using the phone since as rancidhooligan stated, it seems to fit my face better & I don't feel like I would have to talk louder or yell for the other person to hear me.
    Now I don't remember ever having to yell for someone to hear me with a candybar phone but that could be because I always used Nokia's & they are the best phone out so far, but I do know I had to talk louder some times with the candybar phone & I prefer to keep others from hearing my conversation.
    I do have an itch though to get a new Nokia & if I don't go for the 6101/02 then I will end up with another candybar phone.

22. cgd

cgd Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3220
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I voted candy bar, but I own and like both. I like the simplicity and ease of answering a bar phone. I'm a bit clumsy, so I've managed to make flip phones go sailing when trying to open the phone. I keep a screen protector on the bar phone screen, plus I lock the phone so I won't dial by mistake. I don't like sliders at all.

23. ConqSoft

ConqSoft Nobody

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just replaced my Samsung A500 flip with a Sanyo RL-4930. This is my first non-flip phone, and am happy with it so far.

24. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I used candybars for about 3 years. Once I switched to flip phones, I don't think I'll ever go back again to a candybar.

- Flips have no need for screen protection or keylocking. That seems like an annoyance to me which is not necessary with flip phones.

- Flips have the microphone better positioned to your mouth which gives clearer sound in the other end.

- Easier to wear on the belt holster. When closed, a flip is shorter than most candybars which makes it easier to wear.

- Flip design gives more space for designers to make comfortable, large-enough keypads and higher resolution screens. Candybars have to sacrifice either screen size or keypad size which makes it either unfomfortable to push the keys or limits the readability of the screen and its functions.

- Although some people claim hinges can become lose on the flip phones, I haven't had that happened to me or anyone I know. Still I would expect this to be a weak point for any flip phone so the best thing to do is to take care of your phones better.

25. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    I have and like both types. My MDA II is my main phone but tends to be a bit too bulky and large to carry on its belt clip so it stays in my pocket most of the time with the screen turned towards my leg to prevent it from being damaged.

If I carry a flip phone on my belt, then it's my Motorola V525 since it's light and very compact. I often forget that it's even there.

26. Lena

Lena Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Soho
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Had both. I like 'small' and my Nokia 8260 was as small a candybar as they get.
    Candybar keys had to be locked to prevent accidental dialing, and then unlocked to dial out. (Could answer an incoming call even when keys were locked). To silence ringer, had to unlock keys, select silent mode, relock keys. With a flip, no need to lock keys. Open to answer, close to end call. Hold volume button on side to go to silent mode, hold button again to come out of silent mode. With the external display on my Keyocera KX1, I can see immediately who is calling. IMHO, the flip phone wins :)

27. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The poll needed another choice: No preference.

I've had both and truly don't find anything that argues one over the over.

With candybar, I like the fact that there is nothing to "open" before using. It is one less thing to break. (The more moving parts there are, the more opportunity for problems.)

With flip, I like the look and feel. Also, the buttons are better protected from accidental pressing--no need for extra step of locking/unlocking keyboard. Now that I have a Bluetooth headset, I can voicedial most frequently called numbers without even opening the phone.

28. DanPFW

DanPFW Member

My Phone:
    MotoK1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    CDMA
    What I find unfortunate is that though this survey is pretty much 50-50, carriers like VZW are nowhere near that. Closer to 16% bar and 80+% flips, not including smartphones or other oddball stuff of course.

I much prefer bar phones, don't like the hassle of flips. I'd really be interested in a sliding model, but it'll probably be another decade before VZW gets the remix or anything else.

or how about just a basic bar phone?

descent screen
    no camera
    bluetooth

I'd much rather have a business oriented phone than a high-school multi-media device, texting is for computers and emails, digital cameras are cheap and made to take pictures, plus businesses don't like camera phones, and I can buy an mp3 player if I want to listen to music!

These all-in-wonder devices are just going to get the carriers into trouble sooner or later, since they tend to be proprietary and lock down features. They are worse than some of Microsoft's practices, hindering industry standards. What happens when VZW comes up with their own copy protection for mp3 players and you can't copy songs to or from a phone? Or if they advertise broadband access to compete with cable companies, only to disable some ports, say voip for example?

Dan

29. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Seems like we rant about this every month.... Maybe we should let VZW (and other carriers) know what we think.

30. Gideon H

Gideon H Quase Três Anos Com WA!

My Phone:
    Motorola E398
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TIM Brasil
    Well, here is another example where I can give you lots of choices... on GSM.