Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular's Renewal Contract

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by KJ, Oct 23, 2002.

1. KJ

KJ New Member

I have been with Cingular for 2-1/2 years now. When I signed up I had a 2 year contract. Once this was almost fullfilled, I received a message from Cingular in the mail asking me to stay with them - that they would give me a free month. I hadn't thought about switching service at the time and decided to just stick with them.
    My husband is now wanted to switch to Nextel - I called Cingular to find out what I had to do to cancel and they told me when I accepted their offer for a 'free month', that put me into a year renewal contract with them. In order for me to get out of it, I will have to pay them $150 for early termination.
    Can they do this? I never signed a renewal contract, not to mention, I had no idea this would renew me with them.
    Does anyone know of a way I can get out of this? I was tricked into this by the simple temptation of a FREE offer - I don't recall any mention of a 'renewal'. But without my signature, I just don't see how they can do this.
    [​IMG]

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

They don't "need" a signiature to renew your contract; it can be done verbally, and many times is done verbally on calls to CS. However, if they never notified you of a renewal, then you have a case against them and a right to dispute that you are under contract. It may come down to your word against theirs...so, good luck and I hope for the best.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

You can certainly try to get out of your contract by talking to as high up a rep as you can find. However, you don't have a legal let to stand on. I'm sure the fine print of the offer you received said that in accepting the free month you were renewing your contract for another year. I am with AT&T and accepted a similar offer from them last year when my contract was up for renewal. It's slightly deceptive because the language is in the fine print, but I've just learned to read all the fine print. I hope you talk to someone who is understanding and allows you to cancel without the penalty, but I wouldn't count on it. Then you can just count the days to freedom!

4. CingularMatt

CingularMatt New Member

All of those bill inserts/mailers stated that you would recieve a free month if you renew your service agreement. I can't think of any company that would give you a free month when you are not under agreement. This is standard practice among all providers. AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will renew your agreement just by changing your rate plan! That is rediculous and something that Cingular does not do.

5. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    After looking at Nextel's coverage for your area, I would say keep that Cingular phone and put it on a lower plan, there will be areas that you cant use your Nextel phone, Just remember, when you are out of their coverage, you get nothing. Not trying to bash Nextel (ok maybe a little) but just something to keep in mind.

6. abtm

abtm New Member

I currently have four phones with Cingular two of which are no longer under contract. The other day, I received a "special invitation" from Cingular to reup with them. They offered me one free year of WAP or Roadside Assistance. Since I am very happy going month to month and have no intention of signing a new contract with them unless they make me an offer I cant refuse or I need a new phone, I think I will pass on their offer.