Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular's Prepaid Service

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by erub, Jan 3, 2002.

1. erub

erub Junior Member

Is finally becoming affordable. My dad currently has an analog phone in his car for $15/month + $.50/minute (real old plan). I may try to get him to switch to this.

The plan is a 5120 phone, and costs $70 to buy, and you must buy a $10 activation card that gives you $30 worth of service. $10 cards expire after 30 days, $20 and higher cards expire after 90 days. It costs $.35/minute during peak, and $.10/minute between 9pm and 7am and on weekends. Not horrible by any means.

For a years worth of service, it would be $80 startup + 3x20 cards = $140. And you actually get to use the phone, for $90 worth (30 + 3x20).. - assuming an average per minute of .20, that would be 450 minutes over the year, or 37.5 minutes per month. The minutes rollover if you renew within 14 days of expiration. Long distance, caller ID, voice mail, call waiting and 3-way calling are included.

On the other hand, my dad is paying closer to $18 after taxes - $216 per year.

What do you guys think of this, for light users?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    See the addition I just made under Wireless News. Thread: Prepaid (cost & providers). Look at the last post.

(Also, see my reply to your post regarding personalized 800#.)

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes it does, but you have to consider some disadvantages to prepaid such as you get a smaller coverage area and typically are limited to no or limited roamning. If he typically is a light user that stays within Cingular's local wireless network then it might be better then what he is on right now. Your Dad seems to have a pretty old plan though he might want to think about getting something else, Cingular Wireless had a good $19.99 a month plan that gives you 50 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. If he is thinking about switching that is a plan to consider also. Tell him to get rid of that old analog phone to Digital is much better :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Is finally becoming affordable. My dad currently has an analog phone in his car for $15/month + $.50/minute (real old plan). I may try to get him to switch to this.

The plan is a 5120 phone, and costs $70 to buy, and you must buy a $10 activation card that gives you $30 worth of service. $10 cards expire after 30 days, $20 and higher cards expire after 90 days. It costs $.35/minute during peak, and $.10/minute between 9pm and 7am and on weekends. Not horrible by any means.

For a years worth of service, it would be $80 startup + 3x20 cards = $140. And you actually get to use the phone, for $90 worth (30 + 3x20).. - assuming an average per minute of .20, that would be 450 minutes over the year, or 37.5 minutes per month. The minutes rollover if you renew within 14 days of expiration. Long distance, caller ID, voice mail, call waiting and 3-way calling are included.

On the other hand, my dad is paying closer to $18 after taxes - $216 per year.

What do you guys think of this, for light users?
    >>

5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

man I dont remember the details but when I was in england bout 18 months ago for 2 months I bought a Pay-As-You Go Vodafone.

it was much cheaper in contrast to the US pre-paid and also extremely popular....it was cheaper for minutes to sign a contract but at least the pre-pay there was reasonable.

in store after store- from Grocery Stores to Mall Stores to a Convenience store to the Woolworths there were usually at least 3 different pre-paid phones from 3 different carriers available at most times. from the low end model to the nice new ones.

they were strange days. i stood in a grovery store remembered sadly how lagging the us cellphone market was; there was a cell phone next to some cookies that was more hi-tech than any one for sale by the american carriers.

i can only imagine what it is like in japan.

6. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

A Tracfone is probably better, but since you already have a Cingular phone it will be allright.