Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CINGULAR

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by WirelessTech, Aug 31, 2002.

1. WirelessTech

WirelessTech Junior Member

This is just to clear up some confusion I have seen on this board. Cingular Wireless is TDMA or PCS in all areas except California, Augusta,GA, Savannah,GA, Spokane,WA, NV, Bound Brook,NJ, Jersey City, NJ, Newark, NJ, NYC,NY, Long Island, NY, West Chester, NY,NC, SC, Knoxville,TN and WA. In the future Cingular will be migrating it's TDMA markets to GSM but at this time these are our only GSM functioning markets. Also as far as the postings I have read about our plans, we are very competitive with other carriers on plan prices and equipment prices. Some advantages of Cingular are the abilty to change rate plans without signing a new contract, the ability to upgrade equipment in a timely fashion, the stability of our company, our coverage area,and superior customer service.
    [​IMG]

2. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    WirelessTech, I didn't want to be the one breaking the news to you but I would be more careful about making too many positive remarks about any carrier. I don't have a problem with that but you may find out what I mean in the near future...hehe [​IMG]

Do you work for Cingular?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular plans except in Metro NY are now the least of any carrier. Less anytime minutes, no Night/Weekend minutes plus 5000 layoffs. What's happening?

5. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Cingular plans are a little better than (Sprint PCS) for sure, and they are almost as better than the rest of the carriers, Wireless Tech was just saying the Cingular promise is pretty damN good, I don't think their one carrier other that (Sprint) that would let you activate without a commitment or let you change your plan without signing another commitment. So I think Cingular have a better concept of serving customers.

6. VzwGwMgr

VzwGwMgr New Member

TextCustomer Service?......Coverage Area???.... I don't believe you are talking about Cingular. There is a Cingular store right next to mine, and the traffic is nill and none. Not to mention the only customers you will see in there will be ranting and raving about how horrible it is. I speak of this also from first hand experience, and a 2 yr user befoer verizon. Get your facts straight. Who has won the J.D. Power & associates award 6 years in a row?.. I don't see anything about Cingular on that do you.. sorry... VZW Only

7. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

That last post made me nauseate, Remenber if you repeat something enough, It must be true.

As a customer i find that last post really lame.

8. WirelessTech

WirelessTech Junior Member

What carrier works best for you may not be the best for me! Everyone has there own personal prefrences when it comes to wireless. However I know first hand that Cingular has the best customer service, you have to remember that Cingular is new to the wireless industry Cingular has only been in the wireless buisness for a couple of years and we are already closing in on Verizion as the #1 carrier in terms of subscribers. If Verizion is making profit from there wireless buisness this year, I know they didn't make profit on the wireless side last year. They made profit in landline but not wireless also Cingular is one of the few companies that operate debt free. I don't know what the other guy was saying about layoffs, that is Sprint, ATT,Etc.. but Cingular has not laid off one employee due to the economy. Cingular is concerned about churn and the customer is truly first. I also know that Cingular has BIG plans for the future that will blow other companies out of the water and that any longstanding customers that stick with them through there growing pains, will be rewarded in the future. I also have talked to many Verizion customers who are very unhappy and ranting and raving also, that is something you will get from every carrier. Bottom line though look at our history,our plans, our financial background, and call the Northeastern Customer Service Department and see how they handle you at 1-800-396-8349.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I believe you now realize what I meant when I said to be careful about making too many positive remarks about any carrier.

Welcome to the board our Cingular version of Aiwapro....lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's your opinion VzwGwMgr. You know I am really sick of everybody talking about how great Verizon Wireless is and how every other company sucks well that is total crap. My personal opinion of Verizon Wireless myself is actually very low they have horrible customer service and they treat their customers like dirt so I myself would never personally choose Verizon Wireless even if they do have slightly better overall coverage then other carriers.

There is many choices out there and Verizon isn't the only and best choice for everybody.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

12. Guest

Guest Guest

13. bogaboo

bogaboo New Member

Show us one wireless company that doesn't have a site that you can go to and read about how this person thinks it sucks. Everybody is entitled to there own opinion. It was stated earlier on this thread and about a thousand others - one plan or carrier is not going to be the best for every person. It comes down to personal preference and where you live as to which carrier is best for each customer.[​IMG]

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ok mr anonymous, those Cingular sucks websites are the only two I've seen. They are old and the only two known on the Internet. Can you find some more?. I bet you can find more than just two about the other carriers. Besides, anyones with common sense will not believe in anything these sites say. They are obviously written by extremists who probably had a bad experience with the carrier in question and manipulate any information they receive to serve their purpose. In other words, they just publish distorted information.

15. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This carrier bashing/loving is just rediculous IMO. Sure I might push Verizon more in the NE, but that's cause I know it works pretty well here, and I have found wonderful Verizon CS, which I guess I am in the minority, but hey that's my expierence. Now, my friend is treated like crap IMO by Cingular but she signed up with them again, IMO that was silly, but their service is OK, and their CS is crap though, seriously (in person reps in DE) are just mean. But, thats my area, I see how Cingular has pluses and minues, all carriers do. We should *always* look at what's best at the time and location for each person, not just push whatever carrier we chose, what does that matter. I certainly don't feel vindicated if someone chooses Verizon, I just hope they pick the best carrier for them. The only company I actually don't care for is ATT, they just irk me how they piggyback in DE on Cingular instead of building out their own network, but I do know ATT saves Cingular's butt (TDMA) in NY/CA. So to end my rant, quit all of this carrier loving/bashing there isn't a positive side to it.

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Once again, this is why I say we should be careful about making too many positive remarks about any carrier.
    When someone tries to push their carrier of choice to someone else is because they feel that they made the right choice. Therefore, someone else coming and say that carrier is crap, is like a personal insult to the person's judgement abilities. Just human psychology. No one likes to be told that they have poor judgement, so when someone else attacks their carrier they take it personally.

17. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    WirelessTech, are you a Cingular, SBC or BellSouth employee or just a Cingular fan? First, let me acknowledge you are absolutely correct that "Everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to wireless." I do however disagree with a few statements you made. First, your statement that "Cingular is new to the wireless industry" is misleading. Cingular is simply the combination of BellSouth's and SBC's wireless divisions.....nothing new there. Second, if Cingular is truly operating debt free, it would be because the parent companies transferred little or no debt to the joint venture. Third, Cingular recently announced layoffs and BellSouth recently restated earnings again partly due to softness in it's wireless division. Here's an extraction from an Aug 30 Reuters article:

"The No. 3 U.S local telephone company said after the stock market closed on Thursday that its 2002 earnings would fall below Wall Street's already reduced expectations due to a restructuring and weak revenues in its wireless business, as well as the turbulent economy."

Here's a link to the rest of the story: http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/020830/telecoms_stocks_9.html

Also, every carrier has "BIG plans for the future" and they all hope they can "blow other companies" out of the water, however they each have their strength and weaknesses which helps keep a balance and prevent a monopolistic situation similar to that which exists in the local phone market. To wrap it up, customer service is only as good as the moods and professionalism of the employees. Every company has their share of good and not so good customer service....including Cingular.

Just for the record, I am a customer of Sprint PCS and Cingular in the US Virgin Islands (Puerto Rico market). Sprint became my primary carrier only because Cingular oversold their network, just before Centennial and Sprint (competition) launched service. Even though that's over 6 months ago, my Cingular service still has not been improved. And to close, I am one of the few that defended TDMA when my employer AT&T was bashed almost daily in the news for their choice of technology.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Very nicely put ehcruzan. I also want to ask WirelessTech if he works for Cingular. In his messages, he refers to Cingular as "we."

By the way, for those of us who believed night & weekend minutes were off the Cingular Nation plans, they are offering 3000 night & weekend minutes in upstate NY.

19. VzwGwMgr

VzwGwMgr New Member

TNDAN21,
    You obviously have no clue what your talking about. I spend 55hours a week selling verizon service, and dealing with all types of customer service issues. As far as I am concerned no carrier or there CS is perfect, but when walking into any one of my stores you will be treated with respect, and attended to promptly. You obviously unaware that anytime a customer walks into a store, a sale is made. Either you sell them or they sell you. By not dealing with there problems they are selling you and you are losing business in the process. I would also like to restate what I said before, "6 years in a row...Customer Service,satisfaction,and network." that may not explain it all but it sure does tell alot about this company, that isn't a award that is just handed out. It is something that is worked for. So all I can say is the proof is in the writting. I don't see your company flaunting any awards. Also note, by my insert I am not stating that Verizon is perfect, because that would be a lie, no company is perfect. But we strive to be the best we can.

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Moderator is watching for potential heated discussion.

21. Ardiem

Ardiem New Member

I'll just post my experiences with Cingular and it's former names since 1997. I live in Central/South New Jersey, around Point Pleasant area:

When Cingular was first known as Cellular One and had the FIRST EVER "Free nights and weekends", I cancelled my pager and hopped on. It was a godsend. It was really really great. I could call ALL of New Jersey and most parts of New York for free. Of course I only had 60 minutes during peak hours, but even back then that was a large amount of peak minutes. At one point I racked up over 5000 minutes a month just on nights/weekends. I'm telling you, I'd be a #1 pick for cell phone radiation testing. The only problem was my coverage indoors to which, after returning my ericsson phone (forgot the model) 3 times to the manufacturer, got fixed. Caller ID and direct voicemail dialing (*611 or something) were not available in North Jersey.

I canceled just as Cellular One was making the change to Cingular around 1999(?) and joined again around late 2000. At the time I could not afford it which is the reason I quit. I signed up again and got the 8260. At first it wasn't that bad, coverage was decent with more dropped calls and occassional broken coversations. After about half a year it got much worse. Calls were dropping like flies, whether it was to my own house line or other Cingular customers. Also, conversations were plagued with bad reception. EVERY and I mean EVERY call there was at least one "Hello? You there? Hello hello hello hello hello... anytime now.. hello... ahh there you are". I really thought this was my phone, but after talking to friends who had Cingular as well, they had the same problems.

Needless to say, I actually stopped using my cell phone regularly for the last 4 months cause the service was that bad and I was severely fed up with it. I'd only use it for necessary calls. Sometimes I'd try calling customer service but even then I'd get cut off. Maybe I should've called them via landline instead. I didn't complain even though I should have. During the tragic events of Sept. 11 I tried calling family members who worked in Manhattan to no avail. The Cingular networks were saturated. I had relatives who were on Verizon networks and they were able to keep in touch with me. I quit Cingular for good.

I did research for 10 months after, and decided to go with Verizon. I've only had the service for about a month and it's working much better. That's another story though.

As for Cingulars strong points, their calling plans are really great and cheap. Their customer service is also top notch. They really try to take care of you from the time that Cingular representative starts initiating a conversation.

However, with a company that has poor coverage around New Jersey area I can see why they need to have good customer service. [​IMG]

** This is my experience with Cingular. I'm not intentionally bashing them in any way. Verizon already has some bad points in my book. I guess you just have to pick the lesser of the two evils. [​IMG] **

22. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well VzwGwMgr that is just my opinion. I myself have delt with Verizon as well as my mom and they have been nothing but trouble. I know a few people that have canceled Verizon because of poor customer service and how rudely Verizon treats them when they have a problem.

Oh by the way SunCom (Triton PCS) has won some awards and they have some excellent statics such as a 99.8% call completion rate and a churn rate of only 2%. Subscriber growth is also quite high with them.

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ardiem, when I got Cingular was back then when it was called Comcast Cellular One before SBC bought it and its true, they were the first to offer free phones and UNLIMITED nights and weekends included. Also, they were the only carrier to include ALL of NJ and NYC inside the home calling area for local plans. Therefore, they had the largest home calling area. Everyone else cut NJ in half. Also, the other carriers either didn't offer unlimited n&w minutes or you had to pay extra for it. These are the reasons I signed up with Cingular. They just had the best plans period. They did it a second time recently with the best National plans. Of course, that's now history. On the other hand, I too have found their coverage deteriorated in South Jersey over the last couple of years but since I live in North Jersey I don't have that problem and I am not sure just how bad it is.

However, one thing I have to point out is that on September 11, none of the carriers were working good. I was calling from a landline phone to anywhere in NYC and Westchester and cellphones all over and it was very difficult to get through. I was calling Verizon, Sprint and AT&T users as well as other landline phones and all had the same problem. I wouldn't count that as minus points for Cingular or any other carrier. My phone received and made a few calls that tragic day so I wasn't totally out.

24. Ardiem

Ardiem New Member

Bobolito,
    That's true, I shouldn't dock Cingular about the Sept 11 event. It was just uncanny that my relatives/friends who had verizon were actually able to get through to me. But I'm sure that for the most part everyone had some sort of telecommunications problem, regardless of carrier.

But yeh, Cingular and South Jersey did not mix well at the time. I have no clue how it is now though.

I recently saw a commercial from Cingular about unused minutes rolling over to the next month... speaking of Cingular being the "early bird", is this another example and a possible future option? [​IMG]

25. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

I think that every post is right, I work for Cingular and I also have Sprint, and I think they all have their good and bad (Sprint- have the phones and Voice clarity, Cingular has the rate plans and Phone upgrade policy,Etc). So to say one carrier is better than the rest, is just a matter of opinion.

26. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey bobolito, I actually have had this service too, but it was only analog back then....Comcast Metrophone....b4 Cell One was around up there in Philly. [​IMG]

27. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    True dukedog but the benefit with sprint is that you do not have to get locked into another contract just to get a good deal on a phone

Jack

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular/Cellular One seemed a bit behind everyone with technology but ahead of everyone about rate plans. I remember the voicemail notification used the SMS icon and only worked in South Jersey, Baltimore, DC, Philly, Boston, Providence and other Cellular One markets, until they upgraded the system to use the standard Voicemail icon.

There were many places I would be in analog and that included parts of Virginia, Georgia, Connecticut (using Bell Atlantic) and the Carolinas. I used to roam on Verizon in analog in Atlanta (not sure what Verizon's name was in Atlanta back then). In CT, I had to switch to the B carrier manually to get a digital signal from SNET, but I could roam on Bell Atlantic in analog with no problem. They did not have agreements with PCS carriers back then so they only had 800Mhz phones.

Also, caller ID and SMS didn't work in north Jersey around 1998. Little by little they made the system more compatible with AT&T and eventually all the features started to work as of 1999. Now, we have minute checking online and over the phone, wireless email, online billing, etc. so they have come a long way in catching up with the rest of the carriers. The only feature that doesn't work in north Jersey is the wireless web which I get for free but never use. Good'ol times.