Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular vs VZV in Salisbury, MD and the delmarva peninsula

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by unique, Aug 20, 2005.

1. unique

unique New Member

We are getting ready to move to Salisbury, MD.... anyone with experience in this area who can comment on which cell phone carrier has better coverage??

I've read the threads, but couldn't not find any related to the delmarva peninsula. I think this site is a great idea... it will surely help the consumer!

Thanks!

2. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Bump? Bump!Bump.

3. unique

unique New Member

well...

I'm now in Salisbury - with cingular service - and the service needs some help. I'm now living outside the city limits - near the airport - and have between 0 and 1 bar of tower strength while in our house and at times 2 bars of tower strength outside of our house. According to the cingular coverage maps - I should have "good" service at my location, but not so. One of the sales reps told me that the small local airport interfers with the signal??? Is that true??? Is there anyone I can complain to besides the local cingular store? Does anyone now if there are additional towers scheduled to be placed in this area?

Thanks,

Unique

4. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw

I know that airport well, there should be Verizon coverage there. Ask some one if their phone works there. Lots of General Aviation pilots will be hanging around the FBO,(Fixed based operator) office. They will all have cell phones. Also there are some commuters there, ask them what service they use.

As to Cingular you did not say what kind of phone you had, You did not say if you were on ATT service before it was taken over by Cingular., that may be important there.

RE: Bars of signal strength; forget them for the moment and see if you can make and hold on to calls.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I second.

What phone do you have?
    Can you make and receive phone calls in your house?
    Do you hold or drop calls in your house?

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    No, this is not true.

7. unique

unique New Member

Re: Cingular vs VZW in Salisbury, MD and the delmarva peninsula

I have a Motorola V551... actually 2 of them. My wife has one as well. From what I understand the reception on this phone is very good. Is there another phone that I should try? The local cingular store did not have any recommendations.

I can call, receive and hold a call in one spot in our house (1 bar of tower strength) - although it will disconnect sporadically.

When I walk outside, I experience the same... although I can make it up to 2 bars of tower strength on occasion.

thanks,

~unique

8. unique

unique New Member

also...

I'm using Cingular... I was never an AT&T user..

~unique

9. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

yeah Cingular CS
    dialing 611

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw

You mentioned that the Cingular guy mentioned that a small airport can interfere. Well that is mostly untrue. And if it did it would be on rare occasions, like if your in the vicinity of a plane who is powering up its radar transponder you may get interference or cut off, but that is really a long shot. I have had this happen once in many decades of flying.

Also;there is an FAA facility there while the public terminal is not like Phl, JKF or BWI, by General Aviation standards it is well equipped. As I mentioned there are lots of people at the facility who you could just ask which carrier they have and what works best in that area. If they tell you that Cingular is working well there,then its not Cingulars fault. But since you have 2 phones
    they may be weak there. And then you may have to beg your way out of the contract.
    Best of Luck.

11. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Cingular is the best in Delaware. They have really good coverage on the eastern shore as well...but its 'weird' coverage. It's a mix between ATT PCS, T-Mobile, and Cingular (old old Cellular One that just merged into Cingular in 2003?). The old Cell1 network isn't completely converted...or it has holes along 301 in which ATT or T-Mobile take over. You'll get 5/5 bars everywhere, but probably some dropped calls between the networks. I have no idea why!

Verizon's really weak on the eastern shore and overloaded in many places in Delaware.

I have no idea about either carrier in Salisbury though. Sorry

12. unique

unique New Member

Thanks for your input. My brother is visiting this weekend... he uses Verizon service... so I find out who has better service...

Thanks again,

~unique

13. unique

unique New Member

My brother's Verizon wireless service was far superior in my area of Salisbury. He had 3 bars to full tower strength inside my home and was able to call, recieve and hold conversations clearly without problems. Despite being given erroneous advice through Cingular 45 days ago, it looks like I will have to bend over and pay the termination fee so that I can use my cell phone at home and throughout the Salisbury area. It's better to pay for a phone you can use then for a phone you can only use on occasion!

Thanks for your input.

~unique

14. jones

Yes, the airport Tower/building is between their CellTower
    and your House. After I looked at a Tower Map.

15. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Why don't you find a big cheese at Cingular who will understand your problem ( hopefully) and ask for them to wave the fee. It has been done. You will need to tell them who told you the wrong info.
    good Luck

16. pbw

pbw Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6016i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, formerly Alltel

And if you head further south into the VA part of the Delmarva peninsula you'll run into Triton PCS exSunCom that is now Cingular as well. In many cases the two operate from the same tower! The tower on Jarvis Farm Road in Northampton County is a perfect example of this...

17. jones

Cingular can cover 95% of DE and miss 5%;
    and that 2% of the 5% could be your House.

18. Vaughnbaker

Vaughnbaker New Member

Does anyone know if the Cingular service has improved on Delmarva?

19. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well they just added another cell site in Dover (better covering Dover Downs and the Dover mall) and another one in New Castle county on route 896. So, it is improving. Nextel and Cingular are doing the most expansion in my area.

20. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well that's good to know, even though I didn't seem to have a problem in June it could have been the COW's they were using. So when I go back next June I can expect to continue to have good reception with Cingular & now Nextel. Thanks for the update Airb.

21. mikegateway

mikegateway New Member

My Phone:
    treo650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've been with both and Verizon Wireless works best.

I switched to Verizon Wireless because of better phone service in Maryland and the the Eastern shore. My only problem with them is how they nickel and dime you to death when you want to put something on your phone like your own music or your own photos!:nono:

22. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Re: I've been with both and Verizon Wireless works best.

Thats why you buy a hackable phone or you learn all the hacks for your own phone. ;)

23. unique

unique New Member

Just to let the thread viewers know...

I did get out of my Cingular contract and have joined Verizon. Where I live, Cingular maps predicted that I would have "good" coverage... but in reality, I had none. Verizon does work at my house and everywhere else around town that I've needed it. According to the locals... Verizon is the strongest carrier in this part of the Delmarva at this time. Cingular is moving growing though...

I was a happy cingular customer until I moved to the Delmarva...

~unique

P.S. Do you have any hacks for the e815?

24. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile