Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular vs. Verizon in the Boston Area (or someone else)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Bosox36, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Bosox36

Bosox36 New Member

My question is that I'm in search of a new wireless provider, and have narrowed it down to (I think) Cingular and Verizon. I live about 20 miles north of Boston, and am basically looking for the best provider and coverage. I had sprint but dropped a ton of calls, and wasn't pleased at all. Simplicity would be nice as well. I'm also looking for something that can accomodate the best all around coverage (city and rural). Any information and recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

p.s. Any goog phone recommendations for either as well...

2. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

I have verizon and when i was up around boston it worked great. I have the motorola v60i, but alot of people wouldnt get that phone becuase of its high price tag, but if you look for rebates and good deals you can get it cheaper sometimes. I live in Maryland and my family lives in a rural area and the service works good over there too. During the semesters I'm at college, which is in the suburbs and the service is great. I too used to have Sprint I also experienced some problems with drop calls and mobile web, but anyways I suggest verizon. Plus they got some sweet deals on unlimitited night and weekend plans and 1000 verizon mobile to mobile minutes.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info... Anyone else? Any information would surely be appreciated. Even if you wanted to advocate for another wireless carrier. Thanks...

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I have Cingular in Western Massachusetts, and I get good reception throughout my New England travels. I have recently driven around the North Shore area and always had signal. Verizon and Cingular are your 2 best bets in Massachusetts as they are the 2 'a' and 'b' side 800 Mhz carriers here, and have analog back-up. For what its worth, I love the Cingular Nation Plan since I never have to worry about extra charges for long-distance or roaming on other carriers. If you are interested in Cingular, I would suggest a phone with an external antenna such as the Motorola v120t or v60t. They seem to get a little better reception than the current Nokias available (I do hear good things about the Nokia 6360, but it is not yet available here). What it may boil down to for you is which carrier has better reception in your home. Perhaps you can check out signal strength with a friend's phone when they visit. Both carriers also have return policies of at least 2 weeks (unless you sign up at certain independent retailers). Good luck, hope this was helpful.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Your info. was very helpful, thank you... Does anyone know about any new phones coming out for Cingular in the near future?