Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular Upstate NY, finally some news!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pfp, Nov 12, 2002.

1. pfp

pfp Senior Member

So here's what I'm being told is happening out here:

We will be launching both the 6340 and the t62u within the next 2-3 weeks! YAY! (finally[​IMG])

We will have GSM ready to have the phones launched in June 2003.

We're doing some nifty accessory discounts right now (I can't control my enthusiasm).

Now, does anyone know if the T62u has been launched anywhere yet?

P

2. Gorji

Gorji New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hello:

Will Cingular be offering better nation plans? And how about a better selection of motorola phones like the T720.

Thank you[​IMG]

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Better? what's wrong with the current plans? They are just like the competition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Gorji

Gorji New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The plans offer less minutes than similarly priced Verizon plans.
    I like Cingular and would like to keep them, however the market place will rule.

5. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

Okay ... here's the real question: Will Cingular have any *attractive* GAIT or new/updated TDMA phones available in the near future? I love my V60, but I'm itchin' for something new ... perhaps with a color screen or the ability to get better coverage in some areas. The 6340 is a great technical phone, but it doesn't seem very attractive -- it's almost the same form factor as my old 6160, it's a lot larger than most of Nokia's current "executive-type" phones (e.g., the 8200/3300 series), and it still has a monochrome screen (let's ignore for a moment that it has excellent battery life, GAIT technology and a slew of useful software-based features). I have a feeling that for those of us still living in the TDMA world, we're not going to have a lot of handset options for the next year or so (by which point, much of the US will be converted to GSM)...

BTW: does anyone have any pointers to the new Cingular "Super" and "Plus" plans that are referenced throughout these message boards? I haven't been able to find anything on Cingular's website, but that may be because I am entering the "wrong" zipcode.

Thanks!
    ATLguy

6. Gorji

Gorji New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you ATLguy. I have the same questions.
    Lets hope for some good answers.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In this area, Cingular TDMA and Verizon plans interlace each other with pricing, but if you do the math they are so close they are virtually the same. In other areas, Verizon plans are cheaper than here, like in the south. However, Cingular GSM plans are definitely cheaper than Verizon. I guess the prices give you an idea of how their coverage is. The more expensive they are, the better the coverage.

Look for Cingular SuperHome plans in the California markets and the Preferred Plus Plans in NYC.

Try zip code 90210 for CA and 10019 for NYC.

Frankly, I don't know what's so "super" about it. [​IMG]

Current Cingular GSM markets need more GAIT choices. However, GAIT will be on a "public test" phase for a while, then well into next year we may see more GAIT phones coming out as more Cingular TDMA markets begin supporting GSM 800 and GSM 1900. I would say after Cingular rolls out GSM in most its TDMA markets then we will see more GAIT choices.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. emag0rad

emag0rad Senior Member

At that point you wouldn't need GAIT.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think some of us will find it useful because even after Cingular and AT&T finish their GSM networks there's still a lot more to work on, especially where other small regional carriers still offer TDMA or analog services and where Cingular, T-Mobile or AT&T won't have GSM coverage.