Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular Turning On 275 New Cell Sites In 2005

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jones, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Cingular Wireless Invests Half a Billion Dollars in New York/New Jersey Wireless Network
    Thursday July 28, 8:00 am ET
    TURNING ON 275 NEW CELL SITES IN 2005

ROSELAND, N.J., July 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Cingular Wireless, the country's largest wireless provider, today announced it will invest more than $500 million this year on network improvements in New York and New Jersey -- including turning on-air approximately 275 new cell sites. Nationwide, the company will spend more than $6 billion on its ALLOVER(SM) network*, the nation's largest digital voice and data network.
    "Better wireless coverage and performance is exactly what Cingular is delivering in more places than ever before in metropolitan New York," said Stephen Breheny, Executive Director Network Services, Cingular Wireless, New York/New Jersey. "We have also boosted network capacity by more than 30 percent over the past six months so that our customers now experience fewer dropped calls -- whether they're using their Cingular service at home, at work or on vacation."

So far this year, Cingular has turned on more than 105 new cell sites in New York and New Jersey including 16 in Manhattan, 24 in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, 13 in Westchester County and nine in Bergen County. Since the merger with AT&T Wireless last October, Cingular has added more than 250 new cell sites to its network.

The company is constantly monitoring its network and its competition, driving approximately 95,000 miles per month throughout metropolitan New York and northern New Jersey. That's equivalent to nearly four complete trips around the earth. Nationally the company and its third party vendors expect to log nearly 30 million miles over the next year -- the equivalent of more than 50 round trips to the moon.

Cingular's interactive mapping tool, available at all retail locations and by calling 1-866-CINGULAR, can answer specific coverage questions based on a customer's address, a street intersection, zip code, state or landmark. The service can even estimate the likelihood of coverage in various scenarios -- inside a building for example.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What I don't understand is why Cingular installed a site a top of the Wayne St. Joseph's Hospital. The site doesn't solve the primary problems with dropped calls going down the hill from William Paterson College (which is right next to the hospital) and down the Central Ave hill. I still drop calls on both roads so the new site makes no difference whatsoever. Had they put the panels on the big tower where T-Mobile, Nextel and Sprint have their panels, which is in William Paterson property, they would've solved the problem on both roads and virtually cover the same area since the tower is so close to the hospital. It's a matter of strategic placement. There's even a water tank right next to the tower so there are no issues with not having a place to put the panels.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jones

SOMETIMES IT'S ALSO all about saving Money,
    maybe this Site Charges less Rent Space.

4. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Their business sales department or "worse" marketing department must have gotten involved and working a deal with the hospital, probably a trade deal which would cost cingular less than paying rent on a better location.

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    But the question is why install the site if it is not solving any issues? There were no capacity issues in the area to begin with, and no dead spots either except on the hills. The new site really makes no improvements at all in the area. The same problems on the hills are still there and any other areas are still getting the same signal strength. I just don't see the point of it. If the issue is with saving money, they are really wasting more money with this new site.

Without the new site, right in front of the hospital I get -54dB from another site that is located less than 1/2 mile away in another building on Hamburgh Turnpike. The new site gives me -38dB in that same spot. So the placement decision is really horrible because there is another site less than 1/2 mile away already. No need to install a new site so close to the other in an area where there is no significant urban development. This is a suburban/residential area so capacity issues are unlikely with the existing network.

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Here's a more graphical illustration so ya'll know what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

- The black star is the old Cingular site that gives me about -55dB when standing by the hospital. It's 0.53 miles from the hospital.

- The blue star is the new Cingular site that doesn't solve anything IMO.

- The green star is the tower where the other companies have their panels. Needless to say they don't have any problems when driving on the hills. The tower is owned by American Towers.

- The green circle is a water tank which has no panels in it.

- The red marks on the roads are the areas of the hill where Cingular drops.

This issue is not new. This problem in the hills has always happened even back when it was AT&T Wireless on TDMA in the 90's.

7. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Unless their were there in-building issues on the university or hospital that may have been solved by the tower, it does seem like a poor choice in sites.

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You are right about the University. I know virtually all carriers are poor in the University. So maybe Cingular is now the only carrier that works good there. If you see where it says "West Rd." that's where the library is. Sprint is virtually dead when you go inside and T-Mobile drops in the middle of campus when driving. But being that they are 1900Mhz that doesn't surprise me. If Cingular had located on the same tower as the others their 850Mhz would not have much problems in the WPU campus. Maybe if they install some panels at the bottom of the hill (Belmont Ave. or Haledon Ave.) they should take care of those problems.

9. jones

The Hospital or the University?

10. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    It was SPAM. Don't worry about it.

11. jones

Bobo the Logic i see in this
    by Moving the Cell Location Closer is:
    Priority in Coverage.

Where do you want coverage:
    1. Wayne Hosp
    2. W. Paterson University
    3. RED Portion of Pompton Rd/Central Ave

But you can't have all three,
    so you can't please everybody.
    Unless they stay in the Black Star
    and Colocate a New One in the Green Star.
    Making Cell Tower Spacing Tight,
    But this will Cost More.

12. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Great, But what about MY area, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, area etc. Nobody seems to be improving holes around the Philly system.

13. jones

you have to ask your carrier VZW

14. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Gee; that seems rude. I understood that the forum was open to everyone.

And I was referring to Cingular in my post, not Verizon.

15. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree it was rude, but I think he was going by your carrier listed in your profile being Verizon.
    As for them adding coverage in the Philly area, I am very sure they will be announcing they will be adding towers in that area, I posted a similar article in the wireless news forum because I didn't see this 1 first, but it does give some other area's in the article they are adding more towers in, unfortunatly Philly isn't listed.
    But with 6 Billion being spent it would make sense they would be on the list, especially being in the northeast congested area's, and that is why NY/NJ was as the main theme of the article, being such a big area for them.

And I do know we could use the addl. towers and added capacity around here & things have been getting slowly better.

16. jones

i did not see any news from both carriers
    regarding PA.

17. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I am watching and waiting, to see if its is worth switching my contract with VZW has expired. some friends are on Cingular and they also express interest in coverage updates.

18. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If your contract has expired, it may be a good idea to wait a while to see how the integration goes before looking into this, maybe another 5 months since they said it should be done sometime in 2006, as well as they will always be adding towers when possible. Also if your friends are on Cingular Orange, then that would be the best indicator on how coverage is improving, that may give a much better idea over Blue customers.

19. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw

Yes, that is what I am doing. Although my contract has been up since January. So even after many years on VZW I am considering options for fewer holes. Perhaps that will be Cingular since they seem at least to me aggressively fixing holes, if we are to believe press releases.

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    They could've pleased everyone if they had located those panels in the tower by the water tank. In addition, they would've fixed the very old dead spots on those hills. T-Mobile's 1900 reaches WPU campus with moderate signal strength. If Cingular places panels there, their 850 would be just fine at WPU.

21. BKKloppenborg

BKKloppenborg Member

My Phone:
    LG F9100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular GSM (1 yr), Verizon wireless
    i agree why install a new tower if it dosn't solve anything?