Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular trouble in WNY?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Yankees368, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Recently, a few of my friends have been having serious issues with Cingular in the Amherst area of Buffalo. The call quality on the cell side is fine, but the outgoing voice quality is something like 90% static. It sounds fine when the user is not talking, but their voice is something out of a weak analog call. Could this be a localized tower having issues, or is this something GSM does? Capacity maybe?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It could be a network issue as part of the integration going on, you could go to the link in my signature to report the problem in case it is a network problem.
    As for capacity causing it? Usually it's all or nothing when there are capacity issues, I haven't had the static part since being on GSM.
    Is the problem in 1 specific area or all over the Buffalo area? if it's all over the area I would say it's part of the integration, especially if it happens more at nights & on the weekends.

3. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I really have no idea about where exactly it happens. I dont have Cingular myself, but i cant try and find out. Thanks for the link, ill try and report it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    If the problem is one specific area it could be a cell site issue, if it is a larger area like multiple cell sites then it would be a switch problem or a phone problem.

5. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
  6. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    So; how are the other carriers in that area?

7. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon is the way to go. I have had no problems with Sprint. Nextel is hit or miss.

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    According to the article it say's:
    The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle said Cingular had 20 unanswered complaints and 200 total complaints during the past three years. The expulsion is effective immediately. Cingular can reapply for membership in a year, said the paper.

It doesn't say if they were all Cingular Orange complaint's or both Cingular Orange & Blue complaints, in the 3 year period, in the reality it isn't that many complaints over 3 years, depending on all of the circumstances and how many customers are in the area that they are talking about.
    Not to say it's good to have these complaints, but just trying to look at the bigger picture.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You have to ask them what they mean by "static". There's no way you can get static on GSM since GSM doesn't support Analog. You only get static in Analog. Also, find out if they are using handsfree headsets, what kind and what phone models they are using. Not much can be said when so much information is missing.

Sometimes people mistakenly use the word "static" to describe the buzzing noise GSM phones cause on nearby radio speakers.

10. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No, it was static. Hardcore, analog style static. One phone with the problem was a C1300 (yeah, i know it was recalled, but this is a new one) and an older, unknown model.

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, of that's the case, either they were NOT using a GSM phone and they were in Analog mode, or the analog connection was in your end. There's no way you can get static on digital connections, be it CDMA, TDMA, iDEN or GSM.

That being said, if they are using an old TDMA phone or a GAIT phone, it is possible they were in an analog area or in the case of the GAIT phone their phone might have switched to Analog mode for some reason. Cingular still provides TDMA/Analog service in those areas.

Another possibility is that they were in a noisy street area. Sometimes background noise can be confused with static and sometimes it's really road noise (when driving) or noise from traffic when walking on the street. You have to be more specific on exactly what you mean because analog static is impossible unless there is an analog connection somewhere.

12. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It was a GSM ONLY C1300. When the person talks, it comes through heavy static. And this was on multiple phones, all of which are GSM only. Could this be trouble with a specific tower?

13. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    I have had trouble with the signal in my home in Williamsville (near North Forest Road and near Maple West school). I am not sure if it is a poor coverage area or if it has anything to do with the power lines there.

My parents have had better signal with their Nokia 3120 phones vs. their old Motorola V220. My brother and my V505 work fine when we are home, but it is still kind of weak in the house. Outside, fine.

Must be something in the home-- wiring or shielding... Sometimes I cannot hear my parents well on their phones if they are calling from home. If my mom is outside on a walk, the signal is fine.

She had Verizon and the service was terrible, but I think it was a bad phone (of course, it took Verizon 18 months to admit that, and then wanted a new contract). We ended up signing with ATT and just let the VZW phone sit until the contract was up. Another VZW phone she tested was better, though.

Interested to hear what others are experiencing.

14. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Static Is for ANALOG.
    Analog can Not Happen in GSM, No way.
    Only analog can have Static,
    that is if you know what Static Means.
    Static can NEVER Happen in Digital.
    If there's a sound problem in GSM it's something else.
    Like in a Phonograph or AM/FM radio station
    if they're Not Tune properly they can
    have static Noise.

I have yet to Experience
    Static Noise
    in GSM.
    Static in GSM is the Most Ridiculous Thing I've Ever Heard.
    The Sound problem I've experience in GSM
    is Garbled Sound or Echo.
    But Now that area where i
    experience it is Clear Now,
    so they must Have Done Something.
    But Never a Background Static Noise,
    this only Happens in ANALOG.

Cingular Coverage has been Improving
    Lately in NYC Metro and NJ.

They Now have more Places where their
    Signal is Stronger than Any Carrier
    in this Area, and where there's good
    Signal: Crystal Clear SOUND.

And that's Not Hearing from Friends
    I carry both these Phones.

VZW is provided free from Work and
    Cingular as Personal.
    What I don't like in CDMA
    is that it takes Longer to Ring when calling someone,
    But Larry explained that in Previous Post.

#14 jones, Sep 15, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  15. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Trust me...it was static. Probably not in the transmission of the signal from the phone to the tower, but from the tower and on. Ever hear of that>

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well buddy, I'm pretty sure it sounded like static to you, but I know of phones that have very sensitive microphones that transform background noise into something that SOUNDS LIKE static, but it is NOT static. Could be a fan that was running nearby or an air conditioner or street noise. Those are the usual causes.

17. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Most of the times i would agree with you, but this happens multiple times, in multiple places.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If it happens so often then I don't think if would be hard for you to make a recording of it and post it here. I bet I can tell you with a very high degree of accuracy exactly what it is right away.

If it happens when you call from your Sprint phone and you believe the problem is in their end, then you should be able to hear the same noise when you call from a regular landline phone, which means you can put it on speakerphone (most cordless phones have speakerphone these days) and use your computer microphone to record it. Recording it any other way will not sound good.

19. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I would use a landline, if i had one..lol. I will try and get a recording of it the next time i talk to a cingular user.

20. jones

Trust me you cannot have static in GSM,
    it's IMPOSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE,

Even if they want to put STATIC
    it Cannot be done.

21. COMfr3aK

COMfr3aK Junior Member

My Phone:
    Bold 9000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Current: at&t | Past: Cingular TDMA, AT&T TDMA
    I have Cingular in the Binghamton area (13901) and I can vouch for the static. I have a Motorola v220 and I can say that probably for every 1 out of 6 or 7 calls I will for some reason get a terrible static filled connection. I have had phones for years and I know what static is.

I understand that you say it is impossible to get static on GSM but I have heard it on my phone dozens of times in the last year or so. I can also vouch that at least twice people have called me from land lines and they get static on their end but I can't hear it.

I have used two different phones on it and I got the same results on both phones. The other phone was a Nokia 3595. That one only had the old 32k sim but in the v220 I have a new 64k sim.

I cannot explain it other than if I hangup and call again it will be gone. It happens both on outgoing and incoming calls. I have not called Cingular about it because I thought maybe it was phone or I was hallucinating because as far as I thought GSM was pure digital and digital means signal or no signal, not static.

Therefore if anyone can shed some more light on this issue I would love to hear it.

I wish I could record the sound and link to it here. Perhaps I will take up a quest to try and do that. It happens when I am in the silence of my home with no noise in the background. It is an odd phenomenon but it has been annoying several times when I've gotten an important call and don't want to tell them that I need to hangup and call them back.

Yankees368 is NOT crazy. Or at least he and I are crazy but it's not just him!

I wanted to edit to also mention that it happens sometimes when I call my voice mail as well from my v220. It will be a static crackly voice. My v220 has speakerphone and I will attempt to make some recordings.

22. jones

Your Phone is BROKEN.

23. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I think this is getting a little carried away. To most people, static is just a name to give a certain type of noise, not the engineers definition of the random noise in an RFsignal from the atmosphere, which would be impossible in digital GSM. Static could be from the audio section of a phone, from loose wiring. Some people call static the noise of people talking in a room.;) One can generate any sound digitally, including 'static'. I can introduce 'digital static' into any digital signal.

I believe that the posters hear a noise that is 'static' sounding. What the source is appears to be unknown; but it is certainly not from atmospheric disturbances that we concerned ourselves with in the analog days: digital transmission eliminated that problem for the most part.

Static
    n. 1. Random noise, such as crackling in a receiver or specks on a television screen, produced by atmospheric disturbance of the signal. 2. Informal. Back talk. Interference; obstruction. Angry or heated criticism.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
    Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Like I said before: make a recording of it and make sure it sounds as close to the real thing as possible. Make it about one or two minutes long. I will analyze it and tell you what that "static-like" noise is. I know you guys are not crazy and I believe that you are hearing some kind of noise that sounds like static, but I can assure you that is certainly not RF-related noise.

25. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ok, now that I have had some time to think it over, maybe it isnt static. When I use a crappy analog signal, the static is random sounding and on every second of the call. This type was only when the person was talking, now making me think that this could just be crappy phone syndrome. But why are so many phones affected? Does cingular carry this many crappy phones?

26. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would think that if it is the phone it would affect every call. However, you said that after hanging up and redialing the problem is gone.

The only way we can clarify this mystery is by posting a recording of the sound here so I can listen to it. Otherwise, we're just going to be going around in circles about the subject.

27. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Good point, ill see what i can do about that recording.

28. COMfr3aK

COMfr3aK Junior Member

My Phone:
    Bold 9000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I am using the word static to describe what it sounds like. It's the only thing I can compare it to. I don't know what specifically it is, I just know what it sounds like. It is a constant static noise throughout the entire call until we hangup and call again.

Also, one other key thing is that I have noticed one time I was on an important call. A client had called me so I didn't want to call him back. He seemed to not hear the static so I just talked to him for like 10 minutes because I didn't want to tell him I'd call back. However about 6 minutes into the call I got another call on call waiting and as soon as that call came to my phone the static or "noise" disappeared. This would indicate to me that it's not the phone. I don't know what happens to the signal when you get another call but that made it completely stop for the remainder of the call.

I would say it could be the phone but it has happened to me on two different phones which were both brand new. I also have a friend who has cingular and a Siemens S46 (crappy phone) and it has happened to him as well.

I too will work on a recording.

29. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When another call comes in nothing happens to the signal. Call Waiting happens internally in the network so it is not related to RF in any way.

One thing I am not clear from your description is that if this mysterious noise disappeared at the moment you switched over to the other call, or if it disappeared when you heard the Call waiting beep before switching over.

30. COMfr3aK

COMfr3aK Junior Member

My Phone:
    Bold 9000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I did not actually take the call. It disappeared when the call rang into my phone. I heard the beep indicating there was another call and after that it seemed to be clear. The other call just went into voice mail.