Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular Tower in Gambier, OH

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by GoodmanR, Nov 2, 2005.

1. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Cingular is soon to begin installing panels on the water tower in Gambier, OH. There is a college in Gambier, which explains the install (currently only VZW serves Gambier). Cingular does have licenses for Knox County but doesn't have a network here. Would Cingular actually just build this one tower with no network in the surrounding area? TMO has a network around here, so would Cingular sell service here and just let people roam on TMO? Or would they have service here to let students buy the phones at home on the East Coast, and just use them in Gambier letting them roam on TMO when the leave campus?

Anyone with any insight I'd appreciate it...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

Doesn't alltel have some towers in that area?

3. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    Yes. Alltel is the B band 800 MHz carrier in Knox County, Ohio. Verizon is the A band 800 MHz carrier. Cingular is PCS.

royc

4. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):

They do...service isn't great though.

What I find interesting is that Cingular is building one tower when they ahve no others anywhere near here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

First of all how do you know Cingular is not building any sites around that area? It could be they are co-locating on all the existing towers there, plus they can also use roof-top sites plus water tanks. As a side note with PCS frequencies it's not always best to us a 400ft tower like the 850Mhz carriers like to do. You actually get alot of signal scatter when you go above 280ft.:browani:

6. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):

Hillbilly,

First, I'm not questioning how wise it is to build this. The water tower will be more than enough to cover the campus of Kenyon College. Kenyon would be a great place for a new carrier to cover, like I said currently only VZW and Alltel cover it. Alltel scores almost none of the student business becasue most students are affluent east-coasters and Alltel doesn't servce, DC, Philly, NYC, Boston etc.. so 99% of students have VZW.

Cingular doesn't seem to be building anything else around here. My guess is that they're willing to let students roam on TMO when they leave campus and don't go home. Since Cingular is PCS I don't think they would be able to do much on existing sites. Sprint has a so-so PCS network North and West of Knox County but nothing East of it and VZW and Alltel are both on cell band so I don't think Cingular could get enough coverage out of that.

I'm just curious to see if this is a regular thing for carriers to do and if anyone knows when the tower will be live.

7. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

so does AT&T have anything around there? They might not need anything else but to integrate this site with the other network. Also if T-Mobile has a network there they could put a handover between the 2 networks to make things work:D