Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular to increase PPU SMS rate in Jan-07

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Fire14, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    A lot of people, especially the young folk go over 3000 SMS per month easily. I, myself, send and receive over 3000 texts a month easily. It goes fast when you are sitting in class, not knowing what else to do. :D

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Especially when they count both incoming & outgoing SMS, that's why I have a real problem leaving my Blue Account. Again, if they came out with some better SMS plans I may consider it.

It's sad they only have 2 SMS plans.

3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I just finished catching up on the 'other thread' and looks like Blue Accounts will be charged $0.15 for incoming SMS as well starting January 21st. I think that is ridiculous!

4. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Last girl I was dating, who was also a cingular customer, would text me from work all the time and then from home. Considering it was just her and I using texting I was at 2700 the first month, that's why I had gotten extreme. I can just imagine what it would be like if more of my friends text messaged, that 3000 allotment wouldn't be enough. I think it's time Cingular pulls it's head out of the sand. It's time to drop the prices on Texting Packages and lower it's MediaNet Subscription Fee.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    However, if one of the parties violates the agreement doesn't mean the agreement has to terminate. It just means the other party has the RIGHT to terminate it. So technically, it is optional for you to terminate the agreement. You are sounding as if it is obligatory because you said that the increase is not going to break the bank. So if the increase is not a problem for you, why cancel?

That's correct. And no matter how Cingular denies it, PPU messaging is a subscribed feature because you have to have it in your account for it to work, otherwise it would not work.

The way I see it, PPU is just like any other messaging package. The only difference is that the monthly cost is $0.00 and it includes 0 messages and the overages are $0.10/msg. which will soon be $0.15/msg. Technically, that's what PPU is all about in the billing system. Therefore, this is technically the same as if they were to raise the price per minute on overages on your voice plan, which automatically violates the contract terms.

Wow! That's a great value? Let me have a laugh! :loony:

So I guess T-Mobile and Verizon are not in line with the competition. :lmao:

hmmm.....I would disagree there. Give that to a teenager and with AIM you can run up those 3000 messages in less than a week! and at $20/month that is obscene. You should be able to get that for no more than $10, and go unlimited for $20. That's what I call being in line with the competition. But the greedy-heads at Sigman's office want to be above the competition. Plus, the 3000 messages are for use 24/7, whereas N&W minutes can only be burned after 9PM and weekends. Another thing is, you can use more than one text message per minute, whereas minutes, you can only use ONE per minute. ;)

I don't think you can call that optional because technically, the rate for overages are part of your plan. When you signed your contract, you agreed on a rate plan that has a flat monthly fee and a set rate per minute for overages. That's all part of the original plan. True, you can avoid overages by not talking so much, but that still doesn't make it optional because it is part of the agreement. The point is that there was an overage rate that was given to you as part of your original voice plan at the time you signed up and it must remain the same through the contract, or else there is a violation.

They are saying that blue customers will get charged $0.15 per incoming SMS, which would ruin it for you if it is true. But then again, this could be one of those things that don't apply to the blue side even though they are not being clear about it. An avenue you might consider is getting your daughters a Sidekick and keep the blue lines just for voice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #65 bobolito, Dec 19, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  6. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    That's why I called it "optional", I was actually trying to make the same argument -- that both PPU text rate increase and the voice overages are the same violation of the contract.

BTW, I checked my Cingular Service summary and the way it's worded it seems that PPU text messaging is part of the plan as it appears in the "Plan Details" section.

That's just dandy -- they aren't lowering the price of the international SMS to match the Orange. Rumor has it they won't be able to block incoming text messages on Blue accounts either :mad:

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have been getting more reports that the blue side will be charged for incoming. But then again, questions remain such as what if you have a texting package? will incoming count against your package? or will this change only affect those with PPU messaging only, meaning that those with a blue msg package will continue to enjoy free incoming?

8. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well guys, you must have sores on your fingers.:D

I am speaking with some experience. I have a 18 year old daughter. Now in college with a college boyfriend in a different state, plus her friends. She has been on a 1000 message Media Package for a couple of years, and has not gone over once. Close, but not over.

But that is OT. The price increase from Cingular doesn't effect someone SMS'ing at 1000 or 3000 per month. It is only affecting those texting 50 or less per month. And the total $$ is small.

But I wish you guys luck getting out of your contract!

I have to be honest, and say I found the duplicitous behavior of the one fellow on Hofo that is trying to use this change to get out of his ETF, so that he then can resign with Cingular to get the new user discount on a Blackjack phone a bit insincere.

I guess not only Cingular is capable of greedy behavior?:eek:

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I see what you're saying, Viewfly, and you are technically correct in your points about the legality of the price change and the contract terms, the number of people affected, and whether or not they have a real reason to switch carriers. But sometimes, we as consumers need to use whatever we can against these 800-pound gorillas and remind them that they can't just be abusing their pricing. We have to use any weak points or ambiguities in the fine print in our favor, since they'll certainly use whatever they can in their favor too. They have to pay a price for all the negative decisions they make. We can't just walk in the dark and let them do whatever they please with our wallets while they get richer and richer. If it was up to them, we'd still be paying $0.15/min long distance for a call from NYC to California and there would be no N&W minutes.

10. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I can agree with your very reasonable viewpoint.:cool:

11. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It will be interesting to see if they start deducting for Incoming SMS for Blue customers, if they do then they are seriously breaching the Blue contracts, over & above charging more for PPU. For me if they start charging for both, with an average of 800 SMS a month on our shared plan it will cause me to go over by 600+ a month, which could cost me around $30.00 + tax more a month.

I agree, the actions of some of them at HoFo do seem to make it odd, trying to get out or get a better phone for less to stay, which in my opinion doesn't make sense, since you are still agreeing to pay the new SMS rates & just want a new phone at this oportunity.

But as bobolito puts it below, there has to be some way to make a stand against them & get them to realize, they can't walk all over their customers.

I remember a lot of people including myself saying the same things about Verizon when they were #1 as how bad they are with their policies, now they seem to be more competative & not as much of a bully & Cingular has become that bully. Guess being # 1 goes to their heads & they forget where they came from.

I still think the Media needs to get wind of this & start articles & news reports to get to the bottom of what their policies will be & let them know people are not happy.
    Hopefully coreynyc at HoFo got their attention, & maybe more people need to complain to the media.

I know it keeps getting harder & harder with all of these price increases, in everything & something has to give.

As for going to T-Mobile with the Sidekick, by the time I signed a contract & paid for a plan, I don't know if it's going to be much of a savings, over forcing her to pay for overage messages. But it's a good suggestion & worth me looking into to see if it's worth it.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know the Sidekick will be expensive for the upfront cost since they are not cheap to buy, but I am not sure what they have available for data-only plans but it is definitely cheaper than Cingular. It's worth looking at anyway.