Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular To Hit Greater NY Area This Summer

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ComicalMoodyDan, Apr 3, 2002.

1. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

April 3, 2002
    Cingular Wireless, the second-largest cellular carrier in the country, said that it plans to enter the greater New York market this summer.
    The company plans to open 200 stores in the next two years and as many as possible by June, said Cingular spokeswoman Monica Mears.

The company has more than 60 brokers at six different real-estate firms looking for retail space on Long Island, New York City, New Jersey and Westchester County, she said.

Cingular, an Atlanta-based joint venture owned by telephone companies SBC Communications and BellSouth, currently operates in upstate New York in markets including Albany and Buffalo but has not been directly selling service in the New York City area. In October, Cingular reached an agreement to share VoiceStream Wireless' licenses.

Mears did not have pricing plans available for the metropolitan area market but in other parts of the country, Cingular offers local plans starting at about $ 20 a month and has just introduced a national plan that offers unlimited roaming and long distance starting at around $ 30 a month. The company, which currently has 21.6 million customers, will compete with several other wireless carriers in the New York market including Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Sprint PCS, Nextel and VoiceStream.

Cingular already faces a lot of competition here and in other parts of the country, notes Andy Fuertes, director of wireless research at Allied Business Intelligence, a research firm based in Oyster Bay. However, the company may have success in attracting corporate users, people who travel overseas and early technology adapters interested in receiving wireless Internet access, Fuertes said. Verizon Wireless has already introduced a faster version of wireless Internet access in New York, but Cingular may beat out Sprint PCS in its roll out, Fuertes said.

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Arggg.....Cingular was supposed to have started by the end of last year....at least that was their original plan...then last month I heard a comercial where they were trying to recruit people and said that they were getting ready to start in April....they keep changing the story...and I feel stupied, since I keep changing the date I tell people it will be here.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

You know, I feel the same way. I've actually been waiting for Cingular to move in that way I can see what kind of rate plans they'll be offering. As it is, AT&T is offering a much better deal than what they used to have and what they are offering now... If you look into the rate plan for an extra 5 dollars, they give you unlimited night and weekend... and a huge home calling area. Anyway, I've been telling people end of last year, April... now summer. Big surprise if they don't do it till next summer. I will try to be patient... but if I have to wait any longer i'm going to just deal with another service. AT&T is going GPRS soon in NYC anyway... probably as soon as Cingular moves into the area. Don't get me wrong, I like Cingular and prefer them over AT&T, since they have plans of implementing EDGE, and I want to see some actual GAIT phones out there... but this is just taking forever. just my two cents...
    -Kenny

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    what technology will cingular be using in NY.

Its common for a company to push back their roll out (voicestream was to start here last month now its late summer)

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I beleive that they will be using Voicestream's GSM network. I think that that was part of the deal with the thing in So. California/Nevada, that Voicestream opens their network for Cingular; or something like that.

6. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

aiwa pro is right.....they will be using Voicestreams network....and will more than likely set up some of their own towers eventually.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular is supposed to be using Voicestream's towers for GSM and then their TDMA towers back in south jersey... and I am taking it in patches where GSM is not available... they will roam into AT&T TDMA towers with their GAIT phones. I wonder if anyone is using those phones yet. Supposedly, they were being tested in the southeast but haven't heard anyone say a peep about them. I think it's Nokia 6385 or something. It's a 6xxx series... that has GSM/TDMA interoperability which is really neat. Can't wait to see what they've got in store next... Hope it helps.
    -kenny