Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular Text Messaging Cutbacks!

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Casey0999, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

I've just contacted Cingular (N. California) about text messaging service to other countries. Cingular seems to have cut back some services in recent weeks. For example:

* No more text delivery reports - If you send internationally, you know how important this is! Every major carrier in the world supports these!

* Incoming text messages converted to confusing email format. This results in a 160 character message divided into 3 messages! Note billing implications.

* Messages from some countries/carriers no longer accepted. Example, many problems with Vodafone UK.

Instead of catching up with the rest of the world, Cingular is falling further and further behind. The only way they are going to be a winner in text is to come up to speed, and install modern message center software.

Maybe some complaints to customer service en-mass are in order???

Comments??? Thanks!

2. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Sorry to hear that, but most customers probably rarely, if ever (I'm in the never category) text to overseas countries, so I can't see this a major problem. As far as falling behind, I get unlimited WAP, 1500 SMS and 250 MMS for 19 a month on Cingular with the MediaWorks package, not too bad in my opinion :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

Yes, you're probably right that most users don't care about international texting. But there's a big and growing number of users who travel back and forth, and many more who just occasionally travel abroad and could benefit from a reliable messaging service to keep in touch. It's amazing how big text and MMS are in the UK and Europe, and how seamlessly they work between countries. They've had their act together for years there - the US is just catching on, and really slowly. I just hate to see Cingular (and undoubtedly other carriers) get away with technically inferior service, no matter what the price incentives. The worst thing is...it used to work fine!

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Though I can't say for sure, it may related to spam control. I have heard that because of oversees spam some restraints have been put in place to prevent resource misuse.

If you have a retail outlet that is close, you might show up on their doorstep and try to speak to someone there. Sometimes personal interaction is more effective. However, remember that the people helping you will be "worker bees" that do not set policy or make decisions. Most of the the time they truly want to help but may not be able to do much more than site policy. In that case, ask if there is someone you can write to and get an explanation.

Another consideration: SMS and MMS were never intended for serious communication needs. They are both gimmicks for casual interaction. If you truly have a business need, there is always business-class wireless service.

5. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

Hi kevin-

Thanks for your feedback on this - you seem like an experienced user.

And you may be right about spam control, especially since Vodafone previously had problems in the UK with email-originated texts, which they stopped accepting for a while.

However, I doubt that spam will ever be a problem when the originator has to pay to initiate each text. I think the problem is really Cingular's inability to make the proper revenue sharing deals with the major carriers, as all carriers have done with each other in Europe. Instead, they likely tried to cheap it out in some way but using the email go-between. (just a guess)

In the UK where I lived for a few years until recently, SMS is a very useful personal tool as you point out, but is also used by millions of businesses to keep in touch with employees and customers. The US could learn a lot in this area. Also, in Europe nobody pays to receive texts - only the sender pays. This makes much more sense to me. But that's a side issue....

regards,
    Scott
    Redwood City, CA

6. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

Re: All Delivery Reports eliminated

By the way, I forgot to mention that it seems that text Delivery Reports have been eliminated, not only for international messages, but for all messages!! Anyone who relies on these like I do, I urge you to complain to Cingular.

In California the number for Cingular Technical Support is 1 866 287 6131. (may be the same for other areas too)

7. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    another thing that as been eliminated is pay per use wireless internet.

i talked to 2 reps, to get a second opinion, and they informed me that on new plans, pay per use internet (the one that uses your minutes) is not available anymore. i changed my plan to get more minutes because i wanted these minutes for the internet, but now i cant beause it is not available anymore, only the internet that charges you per kilobite, which becomes very expensive... this really sucks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just for the record I've tried on my Sprint service to send texts to the UK and they have never worked (even though they're supposed to).

9. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

For the record, Cingular now sends text messages reliably to all 5 UK carriers, although as I mentioned in an earlier post, delivery receipts have been eliminated. As far as receiving messages from UK carriers, this also works pretty well, and recently the UK carriers seem to be using a proper SMS intercarrier protocol, which allows multiple part messages, etc.

-Scott

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow I haven't seen you around in about two years. ;)