Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular & T-Mobile coverage from NW Arizona to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by budney, Oct 3, 2004.

1. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yesterday I took a trip down to Phoenix from Bullhead City. I took both my phones with me, a 6620/Cingular & V600 flexed/flashed/T-Mobile to be exact. We started off east on SR-68 to Kingman. Coverage was identical of course, since Cingular & T-Mobile share the same network throughout Mohave County. Their were a few weak/dead spots going up the pass headed to Golden Valley, but nothing to be concerned with. Once over the pass coverage was great all throughout Golden Valley (-75 to -85 dB). Heading into Kingman their is another small pass you go through, but the coverage was great going through this pass. Just before we travel through Kingman we hopped on I-40 continuing east. Coverage on I-40 through Kingman was very good, with simular dB readings as in Golden Valley.

Once we left Kingman, we had continued Cingular/T-Mobile coverage for about 10 miles to the east of Kingman. Both phones then picked up AT&T, which was strong all the way to Hwy 93. We then took 93 south headed toward Phoenix. Both phones continued to pick up a good AT&T signal for about the next 10 miles on 93. Once the AT&T signal faded out my Cingular/6620 switched to CellOne (Dobson), and my V600/T-Mobile went to "emergency only". My 6620 continued to have good signal with CellOne untill about 10 to 15 miles south of Wickieup. From that point to about a few miles north of SR-71 coverage dropped drasticly. Their were a couple of major holes, if their was any signal it was very weak (High -90 dB). The V60/T-Mobile phone on this part of the trip was either "No Service" or "Emergency Only". There was a point were my V600/T-Mobile pick up a faint AT&T signal for less then a minute, where my 6620/Cingular showed "No Service". Approaching SR-71 Both phone picked up on a good T-Mobile signal. Between SR-71 & Wickenburg coverage was pretty good with T-Mobile, their were a couple of very small dead spots. Reminded me of the coverage through the pass going to Golden Valley. Coverage was very good in Wickenburg, as we stopped to have a bite to eat.

Continuing south (Hwy 93 turning into Hwy 60), T- Mobile had great coverage all the way to Phoenix with my V600. The Cingular/6620 Had the same coverage untill we were just out side of Sun City. The phone then switched to AT&T from then on, and throughout the Phoenix Area. Coverage in Phoenix was very good with both providers. My V600/T-Mobile never went below 3 bars, and The 6620/Cingular had full AT&T signal (never went under 5 bars). I did place one call on my V600/T-Mobile phone leaving Phoenix (Sun City). The call was strong & very clear for the most part. A few times it did distort, but over all it was very acceptable. I would of liked to have made a call on my 6620/Cingular, but the battery was about to die. Running CellTrack for 4 plus hours will do that. :)

The only thing that surprised me was the lack of good coverage in many spots on hwy 93 from CellOne (Dobson) in Mohave Co. This road is very well traveled, and the roaming revenue I would think would more then make up for the cost of improving the coverage. If they don't do anything about that. I would bet once Cingular buys out AT&T they would seriously look into covering the Hwy. Also if someone can confirm that T-Mobile cripples the 850 band on their phones, or are they just not letting customers roam on providers with 850. I would think with all the E911 stuff being passed, that blocking the band on a phone would be against the E911 rules. My flashed/flexed V600 said "Emergency Only" quite often. IMHO it would be wrong to bar a phone that could make that emergency call if needed.

Well, that's it! :)

2. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

CELL COMPANIES UPDATE INFO
    Cingular, T-Mobile coverage now online
    By JIM FINKLE
    The Orange County Register

Cell-phone carriers have long guarded information about the quality of their wireless coverage, refusing to disclose dead zones and other network problems that drive customers crazy.

Until recently the best information they offered were maps of large regions with colorful blobs painted to designate coverage areas. They made it impossible to answer the question every cell-phone shopper wants answered: Which service offers the best coverage in the exact places I want to use the phone?

But after years of prodding by customers, consumer groups and regulators, some cell-phone companies have finally started to reveal the full truth about their networks.

Cingular and T-Mobile have introduced a computerized micromapping system that gives detailed previews of the type of cell-phone reception coverage they provide.

Enter an address into a Web-based computer program, and it will generate detailed color-coded maps showing signal strength (strong, adequate, weak or nonexistent).

These tools may not sound revolutionary, but they're pulling cell-phone buyers out of the dark ages.

Cingular and T-Mobile are early movers. AT&T Wireless, Nextel, Sprint and Verizon still rely on broad-scale maps that basically paint huge metropolitan areas with one color to signify that they serve the area.

With the new online systems, shoppers for the first time can make educated guesses about whether a carrier has good coverage at the specific locations that matter to them -- without having to go through the hassle of buying a phone and rushing to test it thoroughly before the end of a two- to four-week return period.

In the past, the short return period led to a flood of complaints from consumers who didn't cancel fast enough and had to pay hundreds of dollars in fees to get out of their contracts.

''It looks like the industry is quietly responding to consumer complaints,'' said Janee Briesemeister, a wireless industry watcher for Consumers Union.

She helps the consumer group keep track of complaints with wireless carriers through a Web site, www.EscapeCellHell.org.

The detailed coverage maps are part of a larger effort by all wireless companies to improve customer service. They're responding to polls showing that many consumers hate dealing with cell phone companies.

Among the chief complaints:

• Poor coverage in areas where they live, work and play.

• Overbilling for unused service, as well as unexpected fees tacked onto bills.

• Termination fees that can amount to hundreds of dollars per phone if a customer cancels before the end of a contract.

• Long waits for customer service.

The new micro maps do make it possible to identify blemishes in cellular coverage.

But do they really work?

To find out, a reporter recently conducted spot checks of the maps provided by Cingular and T-Mobile, which use the same network in California. In this limited test, the maps proved to be reasonably accurate.

First, the reporter tried out a cell phone on the Cingular/T-Mobile network to see how well it worked at three locations. The signal was clear as a bell at his office in Santa Ana, somewhat spotty at home in Orange and nonexistent at a Santa Ana supermarket.

Then he visited Cingular and T-Mobile stores to see what their computerized maps would say about the reception at each of those addresses.

He found that the maps showed differences in coverage, even when there were differences in reception within an area as small as a shopping center.

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/business/9779694.htm
    Thanks for the Info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Thanks for the report; it's always interesting to read those...Too bad you didn't have a CDMA phone with you to compare coverage to.

4. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    That is a great report. thanks for letting us GSM users in AZ know!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    and potential GSM users too... Thanks...

6. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hey sstrosberg!
    What's this talk about "potential GSM users". Are you looking at other providers? Let me know.

7. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    What up, AZ!!! I am so torn between keeping VZW and/or joining up w/ Cingular once the Acq is completed.

I still have no complaints whatsoever about my covg w/ VZW, but at the same time, I am really liking Moto's GSM phone offerings. Coverage is of more importance to me, but I've got an itch for a cool GSM phone. I am still in contract till 11/2005, but I am seriously thinking of taking on a back-up account w/ Cingular. :)

8. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Oh yeah... how you liking the V600... That's still a sweet looking phone...

9. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The v600 is very cool! I cannot say anything but good things about it. It is very solid and fun to use. Much better than my Samsung E105. Better call quality and seems to hold calls better than it too!

10. WiggyFife

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    good to hear it's working well for you...