Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular & syncML

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by DickSond, Feb 25, 2005.

1. DickSond

DickSond New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I'm trying to set up a syncML connection between my Cingular Nokia 6010 and mobical.net.

Mobical says my account is set up properly and the phone receives the downloaded setup info from Mobical.

My GPRS connection works and I can connect to the Cingular portal.

Mobical claims the syncML packets are being blocked at the Cingular portal.

Cingular tech support says they don't understand what I'm trying to do or why it doesn't work, but if I tell them what settings need to change, they'll do it.

Nokia tech support says they don't know Cingular's system, so they can't advise me. Mobical says the same thing.

What are my options here?

TIA...

2. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Took a peek at Mobical.net site, says it uses WAP protocol via GPRS network.
    What APN do you have plugged in to the phone??

Maybe I'll try it myself too, Guess I'm just lazy and hate filling in webforms...

Is it free????

3. DickSond

DickSond New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Hmmm... This may be part of the problem... What does APN mean in this context?

Yes, it's free. It appears that what they really want to do is sell the server capability to someone (many ones?), so this service is an existence proof.

4. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

APN= Access Point Name

It's part of the PHONE SETTINGs u either edit yourself, or in most cases programmed with Cingular's settings from the factory, not something that follows u around with your SIM card.

the APN isp.cingular is used for Phone/PC type connections for regular web surfing, etc. while the APN wap.cingular is what is programmed in your phone as an access point for use when ur just wappin with the phone. That's why I asked, as I don't know how exactly ur setup or what exactly ur trying to do.
    I imagine the whole idea is to store your contacts on a webserver, for retrieval to any phone?? Sounds odd, as there are other ways of doing the same thing, using just ur PC as the client (Nokia's PC Suite for instance for Nokia Phones). Would be pretty interesting to see how well u can transfer contacts from say a Nokia to a Motorola Phone. Certainly would be a use for doing something like that.

Since it's free, I'll try to find the time to give it a try and post my results...
    I just hate filling out web forms though:)

5. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Quickie update - It works fine so far for me, Tested with a V551.
    It never had anything in it's phonebook or calendar before.
    I typed in a few phone numbers and email addresses on the mobical server,
    saved 'em, then used the phone to download that info from the server.
    Gonna go another way now and try to figure out how to configure
    the Nokia 6620. In any event, doesn't look like Cingular is "blocking"
    anything with regard to the syncML traffic.

Thanks for pointing me to it too BTW, I'm sure I'll get some use out of it now, even though I'm not much of a gadget freak:)

P.S. - Now that I've seen how this is supposed to work, safe to say that if you can WAP browse on ur phone, you SHOULD be able to do this syncML thing. If ur still having trouble then make sure

a.) Your account includes data services.
    b.) AND you can do regular WAP browsing, i.e. all your settings are correct for WAP on cingular's network. :)

6. DickSond

DickSond New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Now I think we're on to something. It's not a case of Stupid Provider, only Stupid User...

To begin with, thank you very much for all your help. The 6010 is a nice phone (good call quality, good battery life, large phone book, etc.), but there is no data cable, no infrared, and no bluetooth. The ability to get the phone book to somewhere you could work on it would really make things complete.

I believe my account has data services enabled.

I can connect to (through?) MEdia Net and work my way around. I can connect to Google (for instance).

The relevant settings on my phone are described below. Can you see something I've fat-fingered?

Again, thank you for leading me through this morass...

Services
    Settings
    Connection Settings
    Edit Active Service Settings
    Settings' Name = MEdia Net
    Homepage = http://device.home
    Session Mode = Permanent
    Connection Security = Off
    Data Bearer = GPRS
    Bearer Settings
    GPRS Access Point = wap.cingular
    Password
    IP Address = 66.209.11.61
    Authentication Type = Secure
    Login Type = Automatic
    User name = WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password

Connectivity
    GPRS Connection = Always Online
    Synchronize
    Settings
    Custom. active Internet sync. settings
    Settings' name = Mobical.net
    Data to be synchronized = Contacts
    Database addresses
    Contgacts database = con
    Calendar database = caltask
    User name = <MyMobicalAccountName>
    Password
    Synchronization server = http://www.mobical.net:/sync/server

7. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Off the top, Ur settings look good to me...

What sort of error message if any are u seeing?
    Not familiar with the 6010, but took a quick peek at the user
    manual available from http://www.nokiausa.com and it looked pretty straight
    forward to setup. However, on the 2 phones I've used (6620 and V551) there is an option to view the log file after each sync session. Are you seeing anything of use in your logs, if it's available??

Note: i see you can logon to ur mobical account too, and watch what's happening nearly real time (refreshed every 5 seconds) while your sync session is going on, that might tell ya something too. :)