Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular or Sprint?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by vicken, Jan 30, 2007.

1. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My T-Mobile contract is up next month and I want to switch out to either Cingular or Sprint. I currently live in southern California and I am weary about both companies (customer service), but I have to pick the lesser evil of the two. I'm leaving T-Mobile because I am fed up with so many no-service areas and Verizon is too expensive for me.

Also, my wife and I are looking to move to Oregon next summer, probably Salem or Portland area. I want to go with the company that will provide us with the best coverage and best call quality.

Any input is highly appreciated.

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Cingular isn't any cheaper than Verizon, if price might be a deciding factor.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint has added a good number of new towers in OC. I don't think you'll be dissappointed if you give them a try. Give some specific areas that you need better service and I'll look them up for you. Plus I have a lot of first hand personal experience in and around Anaheim. (I live in Orange).

4. dalbrich

dalbrich Junior Member

My favorite choice for Oregon-- just in terms of service quality is Verizon. I'm currently using two lines on Sprint to save money. The Sprint SERO deals cannot be beat, and Sprint really does have excellent data coverage and more reasonable plans. For example, data from a PDA phone (i.e. Palm or Windows Mobile) is included with SERO, or added for $15/month which is far better than the competition.

Sprint's coverage is rapidly improving due to synergy sites (those nextel sites without CDMA coverage are having it added).

My experience has been that the choice of phone on Sprint is more important than with other carriers I've used. Some handsets seems to dramatically outperform others, so choose wisely. www.phonescoop.com is a good place to see phones and reviews.

-Dan

PS: T-Mobile's coverage in Oregon, while not as large as other carriers is very reliable in my experience. What they lack in geographic coverage, they make up for in quality of coverage in-town. i.e. I don't know if I ever dropped a call when I used them, so you may not wish to discount them entirely.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Orange County is a market where all the carriers have invested heavily in for years and all have great coverage. No one carrier has a clear cut advantage coverage wise in this market. So in this area it mainly comes down to other factors such as price, offerings, phones, customer service, etc.

6. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually Cingular has a $59.99 family plan for 550 anytime minutes. I also get an employee discount for Cingular. If I get Sprint I would also get the $59.99 family plan or the SERO plan.

7. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I live across the street from Canyon High School, all the wireless providers work well there. Wouldn't Cingular have an advantage as far as indoor coverage because they operate the 800 frequency?

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey I went to Canyon High School! I live only about 1.5 miles from you. Yes all the carriers have a tower near Imperial & the 91. As for the frequency you can't go by that alone. It's all about cell site placement.

9. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cool, what cross streets do you live? Also, are those SERO plans reliable? I noticed you have to purchase from inphonic.com

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Meats and Nohl Ranch Road. I can give you a SERO referral address if you need one.

By the way Sprint is building a new tower in Anaheim Hills at Serrano & Canyon Rim. That will be a good addition for residential coverage in the higher areas there. I drive by about twice a week to watch the progress.

11. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Oops, missed the part about the family plan -- sorry.

12. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Larry, is getting a SERO plan from inphonic reliable? I have heard some bad stuff about ordering from them. They have a bad track record on BBB.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Out of the 50 or so referrals that I have given out there has been some problems with about 3 or 4 of them. So I can't guarantee things will go smoothly. But there's a good chance it will work out fine.

14. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I haven't heard a lot of good things about inphonic as well, you would be better off dealing with Sprint directly or a reseller like Radio Shack or Best Buy if you don't want to go thru Sprint/Nextel.

15. TProphet

TProphet I *am* a mobile phone

My Phone:
    Sanyo 7200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Cingular, Virgin Mobile Canada
    If you want a SERO plan, you have to go with InPhonic. For the savings, it's worthwhile.

Most of the problems in dealing with InPhonic are around credit checks and returns. If you have good credit and don't return the phone you order, you should be just fine.