Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular - Number of Rings before voicemail

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by bobolito, Aug 20, 2002.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Can anyone with a Cingular TDMA phone in NJ, NY, PA or DE tell me how much time the phone gives you to answer before going to voicemail. My phone rings for about 17 seconds which is about 3 rings, however, the caller hears 4 rings which is about 20 seconds. Because of this I have to rush to the phone before it goes to voicemail otherswise I miss the call. I have called Cingular about this and they changed the number of rings from 4 to 6 which is the maximum they can do. However, this did not make any difference as my phone still rings for the same amount of time. Anyone else has this problem?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing this "problem"!

I didn't bother contacting Cingular because I assumed it was a standard setting. I'm not exactly in your area, but in Atlanta, my phone will physically ring 3 times while callers will hear anywhere from 4-6 rings (it's typically 4 normal rings, a pause, and then 1-2 "quick" call-forwarding-type rings). I have friends in the Baltimore/D.C. market and they seem to get more rings on their phone before the caller is sent to voice mail.

Bobolito -- is it a standard request to have Cingular increase the number of rings before sending a call to voicemail? Obviously it didn't work for you ... maybe it's worth a try for me to call 'em and see what happens.

ATLguy

3. G20Ryder

G20Ryder Member

when the phone is off it rings for me 3 times thats how many the caller hears, but if the phone is on oh man i dunno many like 10 rings or somthing

4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, I made the request and they went to the computer and "set" the number of rings to 6 instead of the original 4. They claim this is the maximum they can do. However, my phone still rings 3 times as always despite the change they made. I never bothered calling them again to see if I could get a more helpful person but you can give it a try and see what happens.
    Now, the strange thing is that when I originally signed up with them, back when they were Comcast Cellular One, my phone ringed for nearly 27 seconds which is more than adequate for me. This was 4 or 5 rings for me while the caller heard 5 rings. Sometime in their transition to Cingular my phone started to ring less times and I started missing calls. I had my phone ring set to "ascending" so the first ring was soft and then the subsequent rings were progressively louder. I liked this setting because it could be used in quiet or loud environments without having to switch the phone from one setting to the other. However, now that there's not enough time to answer sometimes I can't hear the first ring and so it took me longer to answer which is why I started missing some calls after they made the change that shortened the ringing time. I now set my phone to regular ring so I can always hear the first ring and I kinda got used to rush to the phone and I usually make it to the phone by the second ring, but I wish it gave me a few more seconds because sometimes I may not be right near my phone or sometimes it is difficult to get it if you are driving (Yes, I use a headset when driving [​IMG]).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    G20Ryder, is that your Cingular phone that rings so much? When my phone is off there's no ring or sometimes just one, then it goes straight to voicemail. Depends on how busy the voicemail computer is. In some cellular systems, when the phone is on, the ring is followed by a tone/beep similar to the european style rings or the call-waiting tone which is probably what ATLguy is referring to, but when the phone is off, they are just plain simple rings. I like it when the phone is off and there's no rings.

6. nester

nester New Member

When I first got my StarTAC I complained that it would never get to the "ring" portion of the "vib then ring" setting (where it vibrates three times, then rings if you haven't answered/muted). At the time they set my time before VM to be 30 seconds, which was the maximum.

A few months ago I was having major problems getting to my phone before VM snagged my calls, so I called up again to complain. They changed a setting and I was able to get 8 rings on my end (9 on caller's end) before VM. Then it stopped working again. So I asked them whether it works when you're on an AT&T tower and they said NO it only works when you're on Cingular. So since I live right on the border and my phone switches from Cingular to AT&T every time it switches towers at all, I'm basically screwed.

You can definitely ask them to extend it, and they'll gladly call the phone to test it (call them from a landline or someone else's phone). It works great when I have them on the line, but like I said it's hit or miss for me because of AT&T... makes me wish I could force it to use Cingular at 2 bars instead of AT&T at 5 bars just to get those rings... 3 rings just doesn't cut it when you're driving and don't have the phone out (which you shouldn't [​IMG]). I'm hoping my next phone will do vib AND ring like my old Ericsson KF788 did (not a terrible phone except that it was somewhat fragile and the battery was crap).

Hell, why didn't Motorola make it so you could choose how many vibs before a ring? that would have been even better... I love how I can leave my phone on and never disturb anyone (by muting it before it rings) but I'd prefer to knock it down to 2 vibs... but I think that's hard coded in the phone (I'm not about to hack the firmware...)

7. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

Just to clarify a few things:

- In Atlanta (with Cingular), if I am on the phone and someone is calling through Call Waiting, they hear the typical 4-6 rings, with each "ring" followed by a short call waiting-type tone. This is strange to describe in writing, but the caller hears something like this: ring [no pause] short tone, ring [no pause] short tone, etc. etc.

- If I am not on the phone, the caller typically hears 4 rings a pause and two fast rings. This seems to indicate to me that the voicemail system actually picks up after 4 rings, but requires some time to actually route the call to my personal voicemail box (during which time it sounds 2 additional audible rings to keep the caller "busy").

- If my phone is powered off, the caller hears the same thing they would hear if it were on and I was *not* on the phone. This seems unusual compared to users with others service providers and those with Cingular in non-Atlanta markets. Most callers calling a phone that is powered off will hear at most one ring before being forwarded to voicemail. I'm not sure why the Atlanta market does things this way, but it seems consistant with others who have the service here as well.

All of this seems like something that should be user-controlled. It would be nice to log onto a website and enter how many rings your callers hear before being sent to voicemail. I'm not sure why they assume all users can answer the phone within 3-4 rings.

In any event, I'm going to call Cingular to see if they can change the number of rings associated with my voicemail box. I'll let you know if it does any good.

Of course, if you find a better solution, please let me know! [​IMG]

ATLguy

8. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah its my cingular phone that rings like that

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ATLguy, what happens when you are on AT&T towers? do the number of rings go down to 4 and stays that way until you call Cingular again to reset it? or when your phone switches back to Cingular will the rings go back to what they were?
    I don't think that your phone picking up another provider's tower will change a computer setting in their computers. They know that people travel and pick up different carriers here and there. I don't know how many rings I get if I am in my home system area which is Central New Jersey because I live in North Jersey which is AT&T territory so basically I am never in my home system. I have to try it when I travel down there.

10. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

Here's a slightly off-topic question for ya: is there an easy way to tell what carrier is picking up your signal? I know when it isn't Cingular because of the display on my phone or by dialing 611, but there's got to be a way (hack) to determine what carrier is handling your calls in a given area...

But to answer your question, I'm not sure. I've gotten so used to the 3 rings that I don't pay attention to any differences that may occur when I'm out of my home calling area (Atlanta is obviously a big Cingular market).

Next time I travel, I'll pay closer attention.

ATLguy

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    With the old phones it was easier to tell because the alphatag was not controlled and in some cases you just saw the name of the current carrier on your screen. Now, in many areas I've been traveling, I can never tell who's handling my call whether it is Cingular or AT&T. I just know because I can go to the test screen and see the SID number and I know which SID belongs to Cingular and which belong to AT&T in this area. Other than that, my phone display never changes from "Cingular" and there are no other indications. In some other remote areas my display may change though but I have yet to see that.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    By the way...it just occurred to me, this might be a good way to find what carrier is serving your phone at anytime: Just dial a malformed number such as any number that is not a special code or someone's number (i.e. 123) and press send. You will hear a greeting from whatever company handles the call usually identifying themselves and telling you that your call cannot be completed. Check it out.

13. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

On my Motorola V60t, I can go through the following Menus to obtain:

Settings -> Other Settings -> Network -> Current Network:

Registered on Sys ID 34

"34" refers to Cingular, correct? Any idea where can I obtain a complete listing of carrier system IDs (these are referred to as SIDs, right? ... what does the SOC have to do with this?)

Thanks,
    ATLguy

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  15. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

i can set my voicemail to pick up anywhere from i think 1 to 10 rings when i access my options in my voicemail. this is with sprint though.

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Anyone else has this voicemail rings issue?

17. nester

nester New Member

The rings don't get reset by roaming, but I can't expect my phone to ring more than 3 times since it's pretty much 50/50 whether I'm on AT&T or Cingular at any given time. The CS people told me that when I am "roaming" on AT&T the setting in their computer doesn't come into play at all; it is only a factor when I am natively on Cingular. I guess that makes sense since when AT&T rings my phone they have no way (unless such a protocol existed) to ask Cingular how long to ring it before forwarding it to voicemail. I doubt the ability exists for AT&T to query Cingular to see how long to ring the phone, but it should. You hear that, protocol-making people? Add that ability! [​IMG]

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That makes perfect sense to me Nester. Since I live in an AT&T area, I guess it would be AT&T the one who can control the number of rings for my phone when I am here. But since I don't have an AT&T account, I don't think they can help me with that. I still have to test how many rings I get next time I go to Cingular's network down south to SID 173.