Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CINGULAR/MY NAME SHOWS ON CALLER ID NOT JUST "WIRELESS CALLER"

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jayci2, Jul 23, 2003.

1. jayci2

jayci2 New Member

CINGULAR/MY NAME SHOWS ON CALLER ID NOT JUST "WIRELESS CALLER"

I have benn a Cingular customer for over 3 years. When I make a call my whole name (ie. Jane
    Smith) shows up where most people only show "HARTORD, CT and then the phone number.
    I have now added 2 more lines to my account and both of those show my name. I have been to the Cingular store
    twice to have them change this, and it has not changed.
    Does anyone know why I seem to be the only person who has their name showing up and HOW
    DO I CHANGE this? Cingular doesn't seem to know what they are doing!!!!
    Thanks.

2. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    your not the first person to figure out that cingular does not know what they are doing. However i used to work there and the problem your having can be solved one of three ways. first you can do it manually yourself by blocking your number before every call. Or if your phone has the function on it set the phone to (block id). the third way is to call customer service (not the store) and have them add the no ID feature to your account. Once this is acive on the account the number should come up private or wireless caller.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you read your bill, they've been announcing this for the past two months. This is not a technical problem, just a change in the system. This is the same thing Sprint has been doing for years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Yes, work with CS. If you don't get someone who can/will help on the first call, call again.

I do believe the "fine print" in their contract states that your name may be displayed as well as your number, but you can have it blocked.

5. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    bobolito is right, sprint does it too, i have also had the name show up with several tmobile callers...

if you dont want it, use caller id blocking, but i don tknow why it really matters

6. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    yes it is a system change thats why i suggested the call blocking route.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Your landline caller ID shows the name in home caller ID boxes and nobody seems to care. When you call your friends, their cell phone shows your name in their cell phone as they've entered in their phonebook. Unless you are hiding from the authorities, I don't see what the problem is.

Now, if you choose to block your caller ID, then some of your friends may not answer the call because they don't know it is you. I would say block your caller ID only on selected numbers as you see fit.

8. jayci2

jayci2 New Member

The problem is not with it showing MY name but the 2 other phones. one is my mother and the other my sister.
    we all have different last names and people my mother and sister call will not recognize the call on the caller ID
    or if they do know me, they are going to think I called. It's not a matter of "hiding" - it just is confusing to have all 3 phones say my name.
    cingular has not supposedly taken my name off and it will show wireless caller and the # in 72 hrs.

9. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    soposedly. they say 72 hours but that seems like a long time to get thru the switches. and update the account. kinda like when they ay it will take 2 hours for the pone to activate and it really only takes 5-10 min. unless the switches are backup or down.

10. cucopasuryn

cucopasuryn Junior Member

A feature needs to be added to your acc, in oder for the name not to be display, the feature is WCAL and it needs to be added to each number you dont want your name to be send. Hurry C/S closes at 9pm..

11. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Alltel does this as well...

12. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    customer service closes at 9 ...what a joke. dont get me wrong here verizon closes at 11. personally i like tmobiles. they are open 24/7

13. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    i agree, i think that tmobile actually has the best customer service, i never had any problems with them, and never had to wait long.

atts is actually not bad either, they are generally nice and will do what you tell them to without giving you crap.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ....except activating an unlocked phone.

15. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    well i work for tmobile and ill activate and unlocked phone for ne one in the area that needs it activated. shoot me an email and ill give you my work number and give you directions.

16. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    thats true, they actually yesterday told me something entertaining...

i asked them if my GAIT SIM would function in a triband phone for international roaming or whether i would have to get a standard SIM and she told me that if they found out I used a non GAIT phone, that they would take me off the one rate plan because. i told them that the one rate plan and intl roaming have nothing to do with eachother but she said that with a gsm only phone, they want to charge me for roaming because their network is "limited" in some areas....she then told me there is no way for them to know if i am using another phone...

17. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    For over a year now when my daughter calls using her Cingular phone it shows her number and name on my Caller ID at home. I know Sprint has been doing it much longer.

Last fall T-Mobile started adding the name to the Caller ID, so both number and name shows up on a landline Caller ID unit.

AT&T displays the number and "Wireless Caller". Verizon show the number and "Unavailable".

18. louiecellphones

louiecellphones New Member

Do u know if verizon offers this kind of feature? I would like to have my name come up on someone's caller id.

19. Tadlock2699

Tadlock2699 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    T-Mobile, Cingular, Sprint, they all show your name, no matter if you're on a share plan or not, they will show the account holders name. Only thing to suggest is to block your caller id on a call-by-call basis.

CellOne, Alltel, they will sometimes come up as "Cellular One" with the number, and sometimes "Alltel Wireless" with the number.

AT&T, SunCom, and Nextel come up as "WIRELESS CALLER" with the number.

Verizon comes up as "Unavailable", "Out Of Area", "No Number", depending on which caller id system you have, and what phone company the party you're calling, but always includes the phone number.

H.T.H