Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular MOST Reliable in NY/NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jones, Feb 6, 2006.

1. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Cingular Wireless Network is Second to None in New York/New Jersey

NEW YORK, Feb. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Cingular Wireless today announced its network reliability is now unsurpassed in metropolitan New York and that no other wireless network has fewer dropped calls.

"I am proud to say our network here in New York and New Jersey is second to none, based on independent, third-party testing," said Tom DeVito, Vice President and General Manager, Cingular Wireless New York/New Jersey. "We promised to improve our customers' wireless experience and we are delivering."

The recent drive test results show Cingular's network performance is unsurpassed for completing and holding a wireless call in metropolitan New York and northern New Jersey. The results were based on tests conducted recently by two leading wireless research companies that provide information, insight and performance measurements for the wireless industry. These drive tests measure which carrier has the fewest dropped and incomplete calls in the market.

The company has launched new advertising that will reinforce Cingular's network quality.

In 2005, Cingular Wireless invested more $500 million to add new cell sites to its network, including 110 new sites in New York City, 39 in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, 19 in Westchester County, 21 in Morris County and 18 in Bergen County. In addition to the new cell sites, the investment also included other network enhancements such as portable generators and back-up batteries as well as rolling out new data features. This year, the company is expected to spend $500 million to turn on-air another 250 new cell sites in the New York/New Jersey area, continue to make network improvements, and launch its Cingular 3G services. Over the last three years, Cingular has spent more than $1 billion on its network in the area.

Nationally, last year the company spent $6 billion on the network enhancements, and it is expected to invest just as much in 2006.

"This year we will continue to invest in our network and will continue to offer our customers a top-notch wireless experience, the best calling plan value, and cutting-edge devices," added DeVito.

Cingular customers can choose from an exciting array of wireless devices including the recently launched Motorola SLVR, a new slim new phone and Cingular's second handset capable of downloading iTunes directly from a PC. Cingular also has a 30-day guarantee, the longest in the industry.

In addition to third-party testing, the company's network engineers constantly monitor the network, driving approximately 95,000 miles per month throughout metropolitan New York and New Jersey. That's equivalent to nearly four complete trips around the earth. Cingular also uses third party drive-testing vendors to assess the company's network performance and wireless coverage.

Additionally the company offers an interactive mapping tool at all retail locations and by calling 1-866-CINGULAR. The tool provides customers with up-to-date wireless coverage information and is designed to answer a customer's specific wireless coverage questions based on an address, street intersection, zip code or even a landmark. It enables the customer to view their Cingular wireless coverage all the way down to the neighborhood street level while depicting the likelihood of coverage in various scenarios -- such as inside a building.

The company's network growth relies on advanced GSM/EDGE technology. EDGE is the fastest national wireless data network in the country. Globally GSM is used by more than 1.5 billion people in 200-plus countries. Cingular customers can make calls in more than 180 countries and access data services in more than 100 countries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zamboni77

zamboni77 Supreme CadGuru

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?
    I find this article hard to swallow.
    I know people who have cingular in the New Providence/ Murray Hill area that cannot wait to go back to verizon because of signal strength.
    IMHO I think its verizon that is second to none in the NY/NJ metro area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jones

That's what VZW is saying.

4. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Nokia6682/2.0 (3.01.1) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I figured some one would have a come back like this. :)

5. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I highly doubt this.

6. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    read the "press release" carefully, it does not mention or address "signal strength" Just "dropped" calls. :

... "Hello, ABC 3rd party marketing, this is Bill from Cingular. We would like to hire you to do a test. Here's 5 fones, please drive around on metro area roads & make calls for 3 days. Tell us if any calls Dropped. "

(3 days later)... " Hello, Bill, This is ABC marketing... Only 1 call dropped. "Ok thanks ABC. ... Hey Tom, get someone in the press release dept to compose a big statement about how we hired a 3rd party & play up how great our network is. Make sure it is confusing enough so that people will think it means we have more cells, better signal strength , Less dropped calls & better coverage than everyone, yet worded carefully so that it doesn't Actually say any of that..... "Will do, Bill" .....:) :browani:

7. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless

WOWEE WOWEE I am going to rush right down to Cingular and get four paperweights because of this news. It will be well worth $700 in termination fees. Thanks for the info.

8. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    While I'll concede that Cingular has made great strides in the NY metro area, I can't let a press release like this go until Cingular coughs up some hard data to back up their assertions. It's easy to issue a press release touting 'fewest dropped calls' without mentioning who did the testing, the criteria used for the testing, and which competitors they had data on.

What's more, this sentence is HIGHLY suspect:
    GSM's hard handoffs from one tower to another make this statement highly improbable in the face of competition from two major CDMA carriers. Again, where's your hard data, Cingular?

Don't get me wrong, I have no great love for VZW, Sprint, or any of the other carriers, but I DO detest misleading advertising. (And yes, Jones, I know that VZW isn't exactly the most forthright in their advertising either. And when I see BS from them, I'll call them on that too.)

9. xenophon

xenophon Member

"EDGE is the fastest national wireless data network in the country. "

You know the entire article is bunk with this statement. That's what I call a 'spin' as it is not nationwide and not the fastest. I guess they never heard of EVDO.

http://www.dslreports.com/archive/spcsdns.net

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm guessing they are defining that as deployed in 100% of their coverage area (native)?

This PR is even more vague than one from Verizon :D Anyone see the ad? At least VZW gives you a URL to get more info.

11. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    we all know verizon wins this catagory...anyone can publish crap

12. jones

The Crown Has Changed Hands.

13. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Seems very few people think so and this isn't even a Verizon forum

14. jones

There's a New Winner.

15. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, the Pittsburgh Steelers, and congratulations to them.

Jones, no one is buying what you're selling here. Just let it go.

16. zamboni77

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?

Hey, down in middlesex county/ momouth county, that area, cingular is great. But up north my friends and I had/ have nothing but problems with them.
    To each his own. I wish I was on cingular because of lower price plans for data, but verizon gives me the coverage I need.

17. jones

110 new sites in New York City, 39 in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, 19 in Westchester County, 21 in Morris County and 18 in Bergen County

We have a New Coverage Leader.
    Any Carrier can have the Most Coverage
    Not Perception.

#17 jones, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  18. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):

Agreed. Just because t-mobile has been the only carrier to put up a new cell site in my area in probably the last 10 years does not mean that they are the best!

19. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

I often drive the entire length of 287, and never have "handoff problems" The whole handoff difference is lame. Verizon get worse and worse. It even rarer i hear clicking. Hey Verizon if your so great, why do you have contracts?

20. zamboni77

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?

?????
    what service do you know of that doesn't require a contract

21. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    We have some silver members here with a lot of posts. That doesn't make them all useful.

22. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

23. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

24. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You arent missing anything. Cingulars network in my area on Nassau county has been terrible. My friend 5 houses down the road tried ATT out about a year ago and it was absolutly miserable. To my knowledge, no new towers have been put up by cingular in this area. Only T-mobile.

25. jones

VZW always goes to ANALOG Mode in
    in Plainview(T-Mobile is Weak Here, Cingular is Good Here)
    and
    New Hyde Park (T-Mobile is good Here, Cingular Made Improvements).

26. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If that's the case, then Verizon must be really bad. ;)

They should take a drive around Wayne, NJ and see that even T-Mobile has less dropped calls than Cingular.

This statement says it all. This is just an advertising campaing to boost public perception. Nothing else.

Again, pay attention to Wayne. It was fine until last week. Valley Rd, Hamburgh Tpke. have problems.

This is were most people get confused. They are not saying the fastest alone. They are saying the fastest AND nationwide. Yes, EDGE is nationwide. Until EVDO is nationwide, Cingular can still make that claim.

What you are missing is the fact that customer base is constantly growing and as a result, more and more capacity is needed. Cellsites are not installed just to cover an area, they are also to increase capacity. Remember the frequency reuse principle? Even if you cover 100% of an area, you still need to add more sites as your customer base grows.

27. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I hear what you are saying, and if we were talking about a CDMA network where the power of the phone can be turned down when a tower is closer, yes, you can add towers for capacity.

But correct me if I am wrong, isnt a GSM phone not able to do that? So if you cant turn the power down on the phone, than any tower in range of that phone cant reuse the channel/time slot that phone is using? In that case, why would adding more towers increase capacity?

28. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

I'll correct your statement, it is wrong. Every cell phone technology from AMPS (analog) through CDMA and GSM has handset power output controlled by the tower. It is a way to conserve handset battery life and maintain RF balance to the cell tower.

For GSM, the handset RF power output can be varied from a couple of milliwatts to 2 watts, almost 1000:1

Best, viewfly

29. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

30. zamboni77

My Phone:
    Droid Turbo BN
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon who else?