Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular is excellent.

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by warriorfootball9, Aug 20, 2004.

1. warriorfootball9

warriorfootball9 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    I just recieved my phone today in the mail. I all ready have them activated and are working great. The porting process was really quick. But the T-Mobile phone still can make calls for some reason.

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Cool, glad it seems to be working out for you so far.

3. ballazck

ballazck Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3587i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Cingular does have the second best coverage in Ohio. Plus, AT&T has been adding new coverage in Ohio lately. So maybe when the merger goes through they will be close to or at Verizon's coverage in Ohio.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 ballazck, Aug 20, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  4. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    Which phones did you go with for Cingular Warriorfootball? Also, if T-mobile is the same as At&t for disconnecting lines it will shut off your lines on the last day of your billing cycle. :)

5. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    I went with the samsung x427. Phone works great. But when I go into a grocery store I go onto Cingular Extended. what does that mean. I have a nation wide plan so I dont think it is roaming. I think T-Mobile does the same thing as AT&t because the T-Mobile can lines can still make calls.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Cingular Extend is fine. You are roaming, but as long as you have the national GSM plan you will not be charged anything extra.

7. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You will notice your phone say extend alot, with any luck that will change once the merger is done, actually AT&T has a better built network here, once they are integrated you probably wont see extend that often, unless you travel out of a Cingular area.

8. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    Warriorfootball9, that's a good phone. :) I know several people on the At&t network with the x426's and they are very happy with it. :)

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Agreed. The Samsung E105 (T-Mo), X426, and X427 (Cingular) are essentially the same phone on the inside and all seem to get excellent reviews.

10. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't care for the phone. At dealerships it's free, but considering one can get a v400 or so for less than 50$ at those places, I feel they are a better value. The p107 has a better earpeice and RF than the 427 also. I don't like how Samsungs lock onto "Emergency Only" while my v400 still has 3-4 bars and can complete calls fine. The samsungs seem to flip to extend/emergency only too much.

11. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I am pretty happy with my x426, I know i'll be happier when I get the e316 :D

12. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    Today (sunday) I was traveling around the Penn./Ohio area the phone constantly switched between Cingular and Cingular extended. On a drive mostly to the middle of no ware. I have a national plan so I guess I will not get any roaming charges. When I have Cingular extended displayed on the phone does that mean I'am roaming on ATTWS or am I roaming on a different carrier? Also will my voice mail indicator work when being in an extended area?

13. Shizam76

Shizam76 Shizam! Babyyyyy!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Nope! You will not get any roaming charges :D

When it says Extend on the display...Dial 611. The recording will tell you what carrier you are on.

My voicemail indicator has always worked while roaming. ;)

14. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    Thanks for the 611 help I completely forgot about that. One more question is there any way to force my phone onto ATTWS network at my house. because at my house reception is ok but it could be stronger. The really weird thing is that at my school no matter ware I walk. (except for around the radio station tower (WSTB 88.9 the alternation)) I have a full signal. seems kinda a weird tho that my school has a stronger signal then at my house. One more question you know how T-Mobile has the website www.tmobiletowers.com that tells you ware all of their are located. Well does Cingular have something like that?

15. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    More than likely you were roaming on Cellular one (Dobson) they have a pretty well built network in the Warren / Youngstown Ohio, and western PA.

As for forcing your phone to stay on AT&T, there is no way to do that, Cingular has disabled the manual network selection screen from the SIM card, even in an unlocked phone, you will not see that screen, or be able to manually select another network.

My wifes phone is in the same position, at home, there is a weak Cingular signal, but there is a Cellular one tower about a mile away, and when it switches to that, she has full signal on her phone, wish there was a way to force it to stay on that network.

16. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    There's a thread over at HowardForums.com which has a Cingular Map Request setup. The map will give you a good idea. Follow the instructions listed by notld66 in the thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391442&perpage=15&pagenumber=45

You can also check here if there is a map for your area already:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/cingularmaps

Hope this helps :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    Well I cant totally agree with you. if i put my sim chip my unlocked sony ericsson phone it will let me select att or cingulars network.

18. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Really? what is the model number? I will look for one of those so I can force my wifes phone to stay on extend so she can use it in the house.

19. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    I used a Sony Ericsson T68i. its on old phone but the only reason i brought it was because of the bluetooth. try it out let me know how it works for you.

20. fly730

fly730 New Member

i recently switched to cingular from cellone(had to because of work)---i can say somewhat pleased with cingular but nothing compares to cellone....question is im using my v400 from cellone with cingular sim in it the phone lets me choose networks ie. cellone tmobile att, but it will not stay on that network...is there anyway to keep it on a certain network...reception at house is BAD on cingular but cellone is good so would like to use cellone tower when at home! make sense?

thanks

21. BillRadio

BillRadio Wireless Consultant

My Phone:
    Motorola
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Don't blame the tower, WSTB moved on to the WKSU tower in Kent. But stop in to the station and tell Bill Weisinger that BillRadio said 'hi'.

Both Cingular and AT&T use PCS frequencies in northern Ohio. Separately, they can't compare to Alltel or Verizon. You're very smart to travel around and see how it works. Don't hesitate to take it back if you have ANY problems during the 2-week tryout. You can always sign up again later.

I roamed on Cellular One/Dobson in many parts of E. OH. They have a much more robust signal than AT&T.

22. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    I dont know Bill. most of the station is made up currents students.

23. UNCCJester

UNCCJester Junior Member

heheh...there IS a way to force that phone over to make it roam...I know it's rednecked out, but if the signal's weak enough, go to the weakest point in the house and muffle the phone, so you drop your signal completely.. it'll start "roaming" and stay on that tower for a couple minutes. Just make the call before it switches back over *LMAO*

Hey, it works! :lmao:

24. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

I just upgraded to a Samsung x427m from a Nokia 5120 that i had been using for the last 4 or so years. After 3 days I am not real happy about the GSM thing or this phone but I won't get into that, I just had one question that i was hoping someone might have an answer for.

This 427 goes into Cingular Extended more than it is not in Extended. But the problem is that when it goes into Extended it advances my clock on the phone exactly 3 and half hours. As soon as it goes back to Cingular the clock goes back to the correct time. This is going to be a problem as I use my cellular phone as my alarm clock. Would anybody have any ideas. Cingular does not.
    Thanks
    Sammy

25. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sounds like you have something like Auto Time switched on. I'm not sure how this is switched on and off on a x427m. Check to see if your phone has something like this and if it's activated, switch it off. The reason why the time is correct when you're on Cingular is because the network automatically updates the clock on a regular basis.

If it is not the phone, then call Cingular and see if there is some sort of feature in your market which causes this to your phone. It might be possible for Cingular to deactivate this for your account.

Good Luck

26. warriorfootball9

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    On my phone The samsung x427 i see no option that lets me automatically update my clock.

27. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmmm ok well I wasn't sure if the info would help but I thought it might be a possibility since I have this feature on my Nokia. What has Cingular said about this? It might be something in your local market then since you said that the clock changes once you get back onto Cingular.

28. sfl109415

sfl109415 New Member

Just to give you an update I did discover the Auto Update option in my x427 Samsung. But before I did anything I called Cingular back again and the lady went through a bunch of things and said well i can't help you, i am typing up something on this and sending it in and you will get a text message on your phone in 24 to 48 hours telling you that the problem is fixed. I didn't buy that but in 15 minutes i received the text message on my phone telling me my case was closed. I thought what a waste of time. But to my surprise the phone has not gone to Extend since thus my clock has not advanced. I don't know if the clock problem is fixed because now I drive around town and no longer go to Extend but it would appear they did something on their end to fix it although I won't know for sure until I go out of town and actually switch to Extend to see what the clock does. Thanks for your help.
    Sammy

29. CosmiCell

CosmiCell Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung VI660
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    With the networks now using the "follow me roaming" it should automatically pin point your location by which tower you are currently at and this would be how the time clock would be adjusted. It would be in the carriers software and wich be a developement qlinch is I am not mistaken.

30. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ok cool yeah this option is pretty well hidden on the phones that have it, I have this option as well but keep it off since it's not available in Europe. Let us know if the problem is completely solved once you have a chance to test more extensively but the first result looks quite promising.

Glad I could help :)