Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular in NYC

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by zhila, Jun 7, 2005.

1. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    i have 3 Cingular phones in my household and only one works perfect where i live. Changed sim cards, handsets and nothing helps. Service was very good for the last year and just last week it went down. Tech support cannot answer on my question since everything is fine in my area. One phone with a perfect reception and other two are almost dead; one bar or none.
    Can anyone tell why this is happening.??different phone,different day but only one phone works. strange.
    thanks all.
    all phones work in 850/1900

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What area of NYC? How do the bad phones work in other areas? What happens when you put the SIM from the phone that works good into the phone that works bad or viceversa?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Can you be a more precise with what you did? Changing handsets? I assume one phone works, and the other two do not regardless of which SIM card is in them? What are the phone models? It is certainly possible to have one broken phone (ie poor reception), but two is odd.

4. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    Well, i have nokia6230, mot v400 and V180. if sim card works in one phone then it works in all of them if i switch right away. But next day it could the other way around: the sim card that worked day before will not work day after. Sim is 64bits.
    So it is not the phone nor a sim card. Area of 21 ave and Bath ave. Somehow only in this area i have this strange things happening. Cing Tech. support is helpless. Also this area has been giving a perfect reception for the last year untill last week.
    Thank you all.

5. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    Please see my answer below, thanks.

6. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    So if I understand what you write, it really has little to do with the 3 phones? If you just pick one phone,without switching over 4 days, one day it is ok, the next not? And somewhere else, there is no problem?

Sounds like a local cell tower problem or work being done on it. Give it a week and if it doesn't sort itself out, call Cingular again. What about your neighbors? Do they have the same problems?

Nice phones, bTW.

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah, it sounds like a network problem. Here are some options: Call the after-hours tech support number 866-801-3600. You can also send an e-mail to stan.sigman@cingular.com explaining your problem and what you've done about it so far, but make sure the English is clear and easy to understand. The help you receive is only as good as the way you explain it. It might help to have someone else type it for you if possible.

You can also click on the link below to report network problems:
    https://support.cingular.com/cngapp...nTargetInclude=contact_us/report_incident.jsp

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    just called tech support. They told me that the phone with a good reception picks up on ATT tower, and other two phones picks up on Cingular tower which is not as close as att tower or they register on a different network.Possible???i don't think so. But they dont know why this is happening. They suggested to buy 64 bits sim, eventhough it has almost nothing to do with registering on a particulat network. So somehow those two phones don't register on ATT network. just today mot v60 came alive with a full singal and it was dead yesterday. Who knows what is going to happen tomorrow.
    In conclusion, not all three phones register on att network and this is in the area where i live ONLY. everywhere else its fine.
    tried with nokia6230, mot v60,c975 and v180, v400. only one phone can be working properly at any given time.

9. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am guessing you are an Orange (original Cingular) customer by the thread, I believe what they are saying is with the 64K SIM they can have the phone look for the stronger Blue network 1st with the way the SIM is programmed, then if there is a network problem it will register on the Cingular/T-Mobile 1900 network, which depending on the tower location could be a weaker signal vs the old AT&T 850 tower. So going to a 64K SIM could solve the GSM phone signal problems.
    The Mot V60, is that a V600 phone?

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I thought all 3 phones had 64K SIM cards. Is this not the case?

11. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    Mot v180 850/1900 mhz has 32K sim, Mot v60g 1900mhz has 32k sim, nokia 6230 850/1900 has 64 k sim. either phone can get a good reception. But never all three works. Just one. it could be v180 today then only v60g tomorrow and then back to nokia 6230. Most recently, motorola v60g was picking a very good signal for two days straight. But then again, tomorrow it could be one of other two working only. So it's not the sim nor the phone. Also, the sim card out of the working phone works just fine with other two. it is something else unknown for both me and tech support.
    the only thing i know so far is that there is a problem registering on ATT tower. Why? they don't know.
    thanks.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now that I seem to understand the problem better, here's an important advice: Go to the store and get those 32K SIM cards replaced for 64K SIM cards. The 32K SIM cards are programmed to prefer the T-mobile network while the 64K SIMs prefer the Cingular network (formerly AT&T). I am willing to bet the phone that uses the 64K SIM usually has better reception than the other two because it prefers the Cingular network.

Once you change to all 64K sim cards your reception should improve a lot on those two phones.

When you go to the store, tell them that you are having reception problems and customer service told you to go to a store to get the 32K SIM cards replaced for new 64K SIM cards. That's how I got mine for free!

It is in Cingular's best interest to get everyone off the T-Mobile network because for every minute you use on the T-Mobile network, Cingular has to pay roaming fees to T-Mobile which is a cost you don't see.

13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

Good job Bobolito in sorting through the logic of this!

14. zhila

zhila New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola c975
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Zingular
    Mot c975 1900mhz has 64k sim and it's been 4 days with a new sim card; the signal is solid and reception as good as before May 26( when problems started). Today i bought another 64k for mot v180 850/1900mhz; reception seems to be better so far( but lets wait a few days). I will get another 64k for mot v60g if other two phones will continue working fine for another week at least.
    even if everything comes out good at the end, i still dont get it, why this is happening where i live only??? every other place in NYC any sim card is fine.
    Also there are 93% of Cing/ATT towers in NYC belongs to old ATT. is it 850mhz only??
    is it true that T-mobile has no roaming agreement with Cingular anymore?; i have heard this from Cing tech support.
    so how come mot v60g 1900mhz works all over the city?
    thanks.

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular's 850Mhz signal is notably stronger for indoor reception in NYC. If your phone prefers the T-mobile network (32K Sim card), it will be on 1900Mhz most of the times which under the same conditions is normally weaker for indoor reception. That's why when you go outside both networks seem to perform the same.

No, AT&T's network had both 850 and 1900Mhz which Cingular bought last October. After the merger, Cingular has added quite some more towers to the network. However, Cingular had no towers in NYC prior to buying AT&T. They shared T-Mobile's network instead.

Actually, Cingular had a network sharing agreement with T-Mobile until January 2005. This means both companies were 50/50 owners of the NYC network. After January, the 50/50 ownership was eliminated and T-Mobile is now 100% owner of their NYC network. Therefore, the sharing agreement was converted to a roaming agreement which will go on for up to 2009. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they turn off roaming long before that.

Because Cingular/AT&T network has both 850 and 1900.

16. temnik

temnik New Member

So, do you mean that it's safe now to go Cingular in NYC/NJ? The reason I ditched T-mobile 3 years ago was poor indoor reception.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't know...that depends on how the network works in your area.

18. temnik

temnik New Member

I just saw somebody talk on Cing phone inside a train inside the 32 St. PATH station. Wow! VZW loses signal once you go down the steps...
    :headscrat