Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

cingular in new york

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by harlekin, Jul 1, 2002.

1. harlekin

harlekin New Member

hi,

my english isn't the best, but i hope you understand me?!?!?!?

if i understand right, cingular started service in new york city (or do it soon)

they use voicestream towers, my questions: does cingular have there own GSM network in new york or is it roaming with voicestream network????

it's quite important for me, because, if i use roaming with voicestream i have to pay 30 cents per text message, with cingular i have to pay nothing (with my german plan).

important: just gsm network, no tdma or cdma or whatever works in united states. in germany we have only gsm phones, with coverage in the whole country (no problems like yours ;-) ok, germany isn't as big as US)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular in the GSM network is horrible since you can't go far nationwide before you actually roam. And they also want a 2 year contract. I opt out of Cingular.

3. harlekin

harlekin New Member

that wasn't my questiuon

i have a contract with a german mobile phone company. i have the possibility to roam with voicestream and cingular in the united states and it is better for me (maybe not for you) to roam with cingular (it is much cheaper for me with my "german" contract)

does cingular have an own network in nyc (or start soon) or is it just roaming, what they offer.

important, it has to be a gsm-network, i don't have a tdma or cdma phone.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

No need to get so nasty!!! We are allowed to share other thoughts in this forum too!

Anyone, Cingular just launched here in NYC today (July 1st) and they are on the GSM network.....NOT TDMA.

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    VoiceStream and Cingular are in a joint operating agreement for NYC and Ca and NV:

here's the link

Initially, Cingular is just using the VS towers, with their own switches, and additional spectrum. VS and Cingular swapped some spectrum in these markets previously, but I think it's all combined now (if not they would only have 10 MHz in their joint markets [VS would have 20 in parts of CA] and that wouldn't be enough.) The joint agreement will use money from both companies to expand the network.

I'm not sure what your SIM will display when you go to NYC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    To answer harlekin's question, since you have a plan from a german carrier, you would have to find out with the german company what are the rates for roaming in the US.

Cingular and Voicestream are sharing the same network but their pricing is different. However, in your case, since you have a German contract, pricing depends on the German company.

Does your german contract allow you to pick who you want to roam with?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. harlekin

harlekin New Member

sorry, if i was misunderstood.
    i wouldn't be get so nasty once again SORRY

i can choose between voicestream, cingular and at&t gsm networks, but they have to have there own network. if there is only voicestream, i can't choose (my) cingular rates.

that's why my question.

if i understand your right, they use voicestream towers, but with own virtual (i have no better word) network.

i will see tomorrow in the evening, whem i will arrive.

thanks a lot

harlekin

8. Guest

Guest Guest

they use voicestream towers, but with own virtual (i have no better word) network.
    ------

You have answered the original question, congrats.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Now he confused me even more...hehe.

10. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    I think what he was saying is - if "Cingular" shows up on his display as the carrier his SMS messages are free. If "VoiceStream" shows up it will cost him $0.30 per message. He must not have a contract with DT or it would have been the other way around - free for VoiceStream (T-Mobile). Must be one of T-Mobile competitors.

11. BarryATL

BarryATL Junior Member

Voice Stream and Cingular are on the same networks/towers in NYC. They have different System ID numbers (or whatever the GSM equivalent is) for each company. When you search for available systems, you should find both Cingular and Voice Stream. If it is something different, please let us know.

12. scotty

scotty New Member

it boils down to this cingular roams off of the voicestream network, it may be free for cingular us customers but for overseas customers who have roaming agreements with cingular, those benefrits mean nothing in nyc, these are all VS towers. cingular has no equipment on these towers AS FAR as i know. if they do then you can manually enter the cingular GSM network code, in the overseas phone, and if it picks up a signal and displays cingular on the phone he is all set. the network code is 310 17 and 310 19 if these dont work he will have to roam on voicestream at a cost to him. Cingular has postponed the launch to the 15th of july- this is official as posted by cingular in RCR Wireless news. the coverage will not be as extensive as VS right away so cust. will still roam in some parts for quite a while.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Scotty, about Cingular's launch in NYC postponing to July 15th that is TOTALLY wrong. They are already SELLING and stores are ALREADY open since June 30th. I went to the local shopping mall yesterday and there's a Cingular booth already selling service there. RCR Wireless does NOT say anything about them postponing to July 15th. If you check their website, they are only announcing that Cingular already launched on July 1st. Cingular's website already has an area for NYC where you can sign up for service, check your usage and manage your account. This has been up since July 1st. I've seen newspaper ads, TV and radio ads promoting their NYC plans. You can check RCR website and see for yourself.

14. Carnivore

Carnivore New Member

I'm looking at Cingular for one reason - I *think* their free domestic long distance on the Cingular Nation plans includes calls to Guam (U.S territory, area code 671), which I could use. However, no customer service rep at Cingular has been able to give me a definitive answer on this. They always seem to guess one way or the other but are never sure , no matter how many times I call and talk to different reps. Does anyone here know the answer for certain?

Other than that, I have to say I'm disappointed with Cingular's lack of good rollout promotions in the NYC area. I expected them to launch with some great "grand opening" deals, but so far, nothing. In fact, in side-by-side comparisons between Voicestream and Cingular, Voicestream wins in nearly every category.

In particular, I don't like how Cingular:
    - Has 2-year contracts (or jacks the price of their phones if you want to take one year)
    - Charges for every SMS message (Voicestream gives some free)
    - Charges an extra $1.24 [edited] monthly fee if you make ANY calls to a hard-wired phone.
    - Doesn't have unlimited nights & weekends.

Also, what's the story with mobile-to-mobile minutes if you're on Cingular and call someone else on Cingular? No customer service reps have been willing to give me a straight answer on this either.

Does anyone know if Cingular plans to do a rollout in NYC with any good deals?

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am sure there are other negative points that you didn't mention, such as:
    - No 24hr, customer service.
    - Highest international roaming cost I've seen.
    - You name it [​IMG]

However, since no company is perfect and everyone has its strengths and weaknesses, I look at those points as the cost for having:

- True national, roaming-included plans.
    - The lowest cost per minute on local and national plans.
    - Free customer service.
    - Ability to change your phone anytime you want and without a fee.
    - Ability to change your plan anytime without a fee.
    - Add/delete features to your account with no extra fee.
    - Activate any compatible phone you want, no questions asked.

I understand that for some people these points are unimportant, but for others they are.

BTW, where do they charge $1.70 per month for calls made to land-based phones? I have never been charged a single penny for calls to land based phones. Just the regular airtime deducted from my bucket of minutes.

16. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I believe this is what he is talking about although I'm not sure what it really means. I found it on Cingular's website under there Plan Terms.

<< A connection charge of $1.24 per month will apply during any month in which landline-terminated calls originated from a wireless phone. >>

17. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I also found this as I was scrolling down.

<< A monthly connection charge of $1.24 applies to subscriptions during any month in which calls originated from the wireless phone terminate through the landline network in the following states: FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, KY, TN, MS, LA and parts of Indiana. >>

By the way Carnivore according to Cingular's website a call to Guam would be included in the long distance on the Cingular Nation Plans.

<< Nationwide long distance at no additional charge applies to calls originating from your regional calling area for Regional Plans or within the 50 United States for Cingular Nation Plans and terminating in all US states, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, and Commonwealth of Mariana Islands (CNMI). >>

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Good research TDAN. I've seen that $1.24 charge in the fineprint but I didn't pay close attention to it because it doesn't affect my area. It is only in some states. But I don't recall seeing $1.70.

19. Carnivore

Carnivore New Member

Oops, I wrote $1.70 by mistake, it's $1.24 (I edited my original post).
    Still an unnecessary hidden charge though, like USF.

The web site shows this when I browse for service using my NJ zip code. No mention of it being only for FL, GA, SC, NC, AL, KY, TN, MS, LA and parts of Indiana...
    &gt;A connection charge of $1.24 per month will apply during any month in which landline terminated calls are originated from wireless phone.

Anyway, my point was that I was hoping Cingular would roll out some good, special offers for their NYC launch, but so far their entry into the city looks pretty ho-hum...

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So, 700 daytime minutes with 3500 night & weekend minutes with all roaming and long distance included for $49.99 is not a good offer? What other carrier in NYC has a similar or better offer?

By the way, the USF fee is FCC mandated so even landline phone companies and long distance companies are charging that.

21. ColdSteel

ColdSteel New Member

I'm getting 300 daytime minutes, and 4000 night and weekend minutes on Verizon's America's Choice plan for $28. Sounds like a better plan to me, especially since Verizon's coverage kills Cingular in the NYC metro area. [​IMG]

22. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    How are you getting America Choice so inexpensive

Jack

23. ColdSteel

ColdSteel New Member

I'm getting a 20% discount through the employer. The company is massive, and so gets a volume discount.

You should look into it. You might be able to get a good deal too.

24. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's a very good rate, but not everyone can get that price. Only under privileged circumstances like yours.
    However, when a rate plan doesn't include ALL roaming and long distance and I have to worry about my phone display or fear to get unexpected roaming charges, then my mind changes as to whether or not it is the best deal out there. If one day you start wondering why they are unexpectedly charging you for roaming then you'll probably understand what I mean. I hope you never encounter this problem, but other people around the country have.

Also, although Verizon kicks everyone's ___ with coverage, you can't compare rate plans when you mix it with coverage. They are apples and oranges.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

the reason that Cingular charges you $1.24 is that they've taken it out of the lump-sum amount other carriers charge you. All carriers charge $1.24 / mth, it's just that Cingular is the first one to tell you to your face.

And i just got teh new v70 w/ Cingular service, but the phone / service is goin' back to the shop. I love the phone, but the earpiece is too soft of volume for me, and the service isn't as strong as I'd like (I'm coming from an MCI plan, which resells Verizon in the NYC area)

26. Guest

Guest Guest

THIS IS A VERY GOOD OFFER. Voicestream should offer night minutes as well.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

WHAT GOOD IS THIS TO US? THIS DOES'NT COUNT SINCE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO BULK ORDERS.

28. ColdSteel

ColdSteel New Member

If you haven't already, you might ask your employer to see if they offer any special deals for their employees.

29. ksable

ksable New Member

I am interested to hear opinions about the Cingular GSM coverage in NY and surrounding areas.

I have been using my Nokia 8260 phone with Cingular Philadelphia with no problem (probably using AT&T's network?) and since moving to NY a month ago I changed over to a Motorola v60g with Cingular service. I definitely have stronger and more consistent signals with my Nokia TDMA phone.

Is this GSM technology still too early here in NY? Is the coverage supposed to be as good as Verizon or AT&T for example?

Any and all opinions welcome...email me at ksable@umdnj.edu or on this group! I have another week or so to evaluate this new service before I decide whether I want to keep it or get rid of it! I chose Cingular mainly because I was happy with the service in Philadelphia (although different technology!) and because I like the no roaming or long distance ever...

Thanks for your help...

Ken

30. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular shares the VoiceStream network in NYC. IMO, VS is pretty good in that area based on my frequent travels there, as long as the coverage suits your needs. VS does not have analog roaming, so the digitial coverage is what you can use. VoiceStream is changing their name to T-Mobile - check out the coverage maps there.