Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular has 6340 again, with prohibition

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by COtech, Oct 10, 2002.

1. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Last night I found the Nokia 6340 GAIT phone on the Cingular Wireless web site, for my market Memphis, TN. After clicking on "details" to see if this is the 6340i (it's not), I found this disclaimer at the bottom of the screen:

*This handset is not available for purchase with the Cingular Preferred Nation rate plans.

They're shooting themselves in the foot! This is the combination that would have had me upgrading from 6161i and Home plan.

John, N4BKN

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just checked it for my area, which is Knoxville, TN and it says the exact same thing... I wonder what they're even bothering having the damn thing for if they have no intentions of letting you use it on the nation preferred plans... Apparently they're saving it for the morons that will actually purchase the true nation plans.... OR they might have a "GAIT preferred nation" plan out soon?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UNCCJester

UNCCJester Junior Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say morons...unless you don't leave Cingular's tower range, then you WILL need the Nation program. If you step foot more than a couple miles into VA or WV or the spotty NC mountain coverage like I will for ski season, you'll be on someone else's network, then you'll get tagged $3.50 for the roam charge + whatever roaming fees. Mine'll start searching for networks immediately when it can't get Cingular's tower. Anyways, I guess it helps some people and others not...personally, I'd get screwed if I didn't get the Nation program.

4. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

I agree with UNCCJester -- without the Nation plan, I'd be paying very high roaming bills or I'd have to make a conscious effort not to use my phone. I'm not a big fan of either of those options...

As for the 6340 ... there appeared to be some "major" problems with that phone in its first release. Does anyone know if those problems have been corrected or does this "disclaimer" fix a technical problem with social conditioning?

ATLguy

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think they will be discontinuing that phone and replacing it with the 6340i which is the update to the 6340. The 6340i will be released in sometime in November.

6. cucopasuryn

cucopasuryn Junior Member

november.. witch year?

7. pfp

pfp Senior Member

You guys said it's available in Tenessee, is that a full GSM area?

Still not available in Upstate NY...or in New York City, apparently, which is GSM...does anyone know what the system is for where this is being released

P

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    RITMarketer, Tennessee is split by Cingular Wireless. The Eastern part of TN (Knoxville, Tri-cities) is GSM while the rest of the state is TDMA.

9. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

The 6340 is also available in Atlanta which is all TDMA.

ATLguy

10. johndoe

johndoe Junior Member

Just to let you know that it will be out on two phones the sony 62u and the nokia 6340I the plan is called Cingular nation.Its going to use tdma and gsm.But there is no free weekend mins on this plan.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

I have the old cingular nation plan that has no roaming fees, even off cinguar's network, AND N&W minutes. Can I keep this plan and upgrade my 8260 to the 6340i? I need TDMA coverage as I travel a lot, but I want 6300 features and the capability to work with a "real" car kit (not the cigarette lighter "express" kit they sell for the 82xx).

This is a pretty common requirement for heavy business users, and cingular has a big hole in their offerings right now.

12. johndoe

johndoe Junior Member

you would need to go with the new nation plan because thats what the phone works on.

13. ATLguy

ATLguy Junior Member

What do you mean by the "new Nation plan" ... it's the same plan as before (if it weren't, they'd change the name) ... just that the current set of promotions are different. I honestly can't see Cingular forcing subscribers to give up their N&W minutes in exchange for being "allowed" to select a new handset model. Doesn't seem to make much sense ... but then again, a lot of things in this industry don't make sense, so it shouldn't be such a big surprise... Guess we'll see.

ATLguy

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just call Cingular and ask them if you get a 6340i can they activate it with your current plan. It's just a matter of whether they want to do it. Changing phones or plans have no relation to each other except the willingness of the company to allow you to use a certain combination of plan and phone.

15. UNCCJester

UNCCJester Junior Member

I haven't heard anything on the 6340i...what's the difference between this and my 6340???

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Nokia 6340i works on new GSM 850 (800) band as well as the others supported in the 6340 "classic" but no other differences, no GPRS... what were they thinking????

17. Guest

Guest Guest

The Nokia 6340 is working really well for me. I had other phones, the 5190, 3395, Ericsson t68 (DONT BUY T68! unless you live, work and travel in the shadow of a tower) The 6340 cut down my 'dead area' on my drive to work from 10 miles with the 3395 and 5190 to just under 1/4 mile! ALSO Since I am on the National plan, not nation preferred, I have use of my phone in many places that were dead before. By the way, in the Cingular store, they gave me the new nationwide plan with no roaming, LD, etc... All it took was one call Oct 1st to Cingular CS at 1-866-246-4852 and the CSR gave me the 3,000 N/W minutes just for asking for them, no hassle whatsoever. Those 3,000 N/W minutes are no roaming, no LD just like the other minutes on my plan.

So far, I am a happy camper! [​IMG]

18. Guest

Guest Guest

PS: The Cingular store would NOT give up those bonus minutes! call Cingular CS!! [​IMG]

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You are experiencing the advantage of being able to pick up multiple networks instead of just one. This is very important to me when considering a carrier.

20. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Sorry for any confusion in my previous statement, but I was implying more that the NEW nation plans with no n&w minutes weren't the greatest thing out there... I guess I was referring to people who signed up for these plans as "morons" moreso than the ones already on the cingular nation plans before they took away the N&W minutes... although "morons" was a bit harsh there [​IMG]

21. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Cingular not offering N&W (or even just weekends) as an option seems odd to me given that AT&T offers 1000 N&W mins on DOR and VZW offers 1000 weekend mins on SRN for $10/mo.

Then again, Cingular roams off-network much more than any other major carrier -- especially without the 6340, and even with it Cingular's nearly total lack of "their own" coverage in the Rockies and the like are still problems.

-SC

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular may not be offering the 3,000 N&W minutes, BUT they will give them to you IF you call and ask for it. The rate plans changed here August 18th, however they signed me up with new service AND a call to cingular CS was all it took to get the 3,000 N/W minutes on Oct 1st. [​IMG]

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That might be true for GSM customers but for TDMA they own a great deal of their coverage. Their TDMA Nation Preferred in-network coverage wouldn't be so extensive if they didn't.

24. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Cingular has no licenses of their own whatsoever in the 14 states served by Qwest landline except for Seattle/Spokane and Salt Lake City. Nothing in Denver, nothing in Phoenix, nothing in the Twin Cities, nothing in Portland -- all those cities are in Nation Preferred, but for TDMA customers, it's AT&T's coverage, not Cingular's (for GSM customers, it's T-Mobile's.) Yes, Cingular and AT&T do appear to have a "sweetheart" roaming deal, but not so sweet as the one between VZW and ALLTEL. IMO, the "Qwest states" problem is by far Cingular's largest problem when it comes to licenses -- hence my speculation that Cingular will acquire Qwest's licenses and convert acquired markets to GSM.

Cingular has other strange situations where it has no licenses, such as Newnan GA (30 miles SW of Atlanta), where all Atlanta carriers other than Cingular own licenses and Cingular TDMA roams on PSC Wireless (non-Atlanta Cingular TDMA customers can roam on AT&T.) Until recently, PSC gouged BellSouth/Cingular customers bigtime, and of course it didn't help that Powertel owned InterCel (which PSC bought from Powertel) until late '99 or so... Also, Cingular all but refuses to roam on VZW, which causes massive coverage gaps in east TN where US Cellular/Eloqui/etc. have no coverage, among other places, and is apparently playing hardball with small carriers to an almost unprecedented extent (according to the NP maps, Cingular pulled or lost roaming with at least two small carriers, and I've heard they've pulled or lost roaming with at least two or three other small carriers.)

-SC

25. ronin

ronin Junior Member

Do you have any idea if ATT will offer the 6340i or any other phone that will do TDMA/GSM/Analog? Right now they only offer the Siemans S46, which will do GSM/TDMA, can't remember if it does analog or not. I would upgrade to a GSM capable handset if it also did TDMA, since ATT's GSM coverage is spotty at the moment.

Also, regarding ATT roaming partners in NC. Right now I understand they have an agreement with Altell, which means that any roaming is going to be analog. Why wouldn't they have an agreement with Cingular, or some other TDMA carrier?

26. cellphoneobsessed

cellphoneobsessed New Member

North Carolina is all GSM for Cingular. ATT has just about all of the TDMA coverage there is.

27. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think AT&T will be offering any GAIT phones so I doubt they will offer the 6340i. They are not putting more money on their TDMA network as far as I know.