Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular GSM Question

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Crazyboy, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Crazyboy

Crazyboy Member

My Phone:
    Samsung a670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon...Maybe Cingular AGAIN
    I have a 2 questions regarding Cingular buying AT&T.

1. I seem to be a little confused on the whole Cingular buying AT&T. When this all finishes will Cingular have signal where it originaly dosen't but AT&T does.
    2. If I have a AT&T GSM phone, will it be able to work on a Cingular sim after everything is finished?

I seem to be very un-clear on all of this. Any info/help will be greatly appreciated,
    Thx,
    Crazyboy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. siliconvalley785

My Phone:
    E62, BlackJack, L6, V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Allow me to answer your questions.
    1. When Cingular and AT&T merge, all property of AT&T becomes Cingular, so the Cingular name will be displayed on all GSM phones, regardless or who you were with before. Cingular is known for good coverage in suburban areas, so the combination of the two companies provides an excellent service, which could quite possibly surpass that of Verizon and others.
    2. For an AT&T GSM phone to accept a Cingular SIM at present would require the unlocking of the phone, but perhaps with the pending merger, Cingular could replace everyone's SIMS for ones bearing the Cingular logo and name, but that would be a costly alternative. More than likely Cingular will send OTA (Over the Air) programming to have the current AT&T SIM work automatically on the Cingular network. But at present, the phone would have to be unlocked.

If you do require additional information, feel free to consult the official press release: Cingular Acquisition Information

Pritesh

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Cingular and ATT are already offering cross carier roaming. o yes, if Cingular sucks in your area your phone will use the ATT tower and vice versa for free.