Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular error in their website? (NYC)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by bobolito, Jul 1, 2002.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In the Cingular Preferred Nation plans seems to be an error where they claim no US roaming anywhere there's a Cingular or Voicestream signal but in the matrix with the prices you can see they list $0.69 per minute for roaming. A rep told me over the phone that the 69 cents should not be there and roaming should be included in the plan.

However, the doubt is still in my mind that there might be areas where you may get charged for roaming. Otherwise, why do they call it "Nation Preferred Network"? Why didn't they call it Cingular Nation just like everywhere else? Although the Rep told me otherwise, this sounds to me like another "America's Choice" type of plan. However, don't take my word for it, I am just speculating because when I see those a word like "Preferred" I automatically think there are some limitations.

BTW, if you need to call Cingular NYC dept. call 866-999-1166. The reps at the regular number don't have much info about NYC .

UPDATE (8/8/2002):
    Cingular corrected the error a few days after this message was posted

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I saw that too, the only thing I can think of is if you roam off of ATT GSM maybe then you will be charged the .69. I also saw the international roaming rates, they look nice, better than Voicestreams for many countries. The only think I don't get is, lets say France its like 1.00 a minute, according to the NYC area, but for California, it lists all incoming calls at 4$ and incoming around 2$ and something. So why is it cheaper for the NYC clients to roam.....that makes no sense. Check it out

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think its a mistake as there website says there is No Roaming or long distance charges on that plan. Either way Cingular needs to fix this and make it more clear.

4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think Cingular will roam on AT&T GSM network, only on Voicestream. Maybe in the future they will, but I doubt is the case now. However, someone shined some light on the "Preferred Network" deal. Since they are launching GAIT phones soon, they can make it use the Preferred Network (GSM) at no extra charges but if you fall into a TDMA area they may charge you roaming. It's like the same way Sprint treats Digital vs. Analog coverage. That might be the reason to call the plan "Preferred Nation". Again, this is just me speculating. If true, that is just another way to force people to move to GSM.

BTW, in the www.cingularny.com website they don't list any roaming charges on the national plan ($0.00). One more reason to believe it is an error in their main site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Voicestream's rates are $.99/minute while roaming overseas in most areas. Now international long distance is a different story, Voicestream only charges like $.20, that when you are in the US and make or receive calls over seas. International Roaming is when you are actually in those places overseas and are making and receiving calls anywhere.

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

7. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well can anyone figure out why Cingular's International Roaming is cheaper for NYC customers (and VS for many countries), than the California/NV customers?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

THEY LIKE US BETTER!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

CINGULAR SUCKS!!TextText<u>Text</u>Text

11. Guest

Guest Guest

It is NOT an error.

NYC is only on the PREFERRED National Plan. It's similiar to the Verizon America Choice Plan. On the Cingular Plan, if you leave the GSM network, you are being charged roaming. You can travel anywhere on the GSM network and NOT be charged. In the TDMA cingular markets, that is REAL NATIONWIDE roaming like Verizon's Single Rate Natioanl Plan. Compare the maps for the GSM and TDMA markets to see what I am talking about.

Your best bet if you live in NYC like I do.....don't get cingular. You're limited on where you can talk and not be charged. You are better off joining the America's Choice plan from Verizon.

12. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

www.cingularny.com is not cingulars site, it is an authorized dealer! aka Elephantwireless.com .

13. Guest

Guest Guest

from what I gather, "Preferred" National is like AC. There will also be a just plain National plan which looks like it will be Cingular Nation on a GAIT phone to allow one to use GSM or TDMA (analog also, hopefully) across the country with no roaming at all. Basically it will be the current Cingular Nation plan, but with a GAIT phone - so you can use GSM in NYC, CA, or wherever Cingular offers it. This may or may not create an advantage over the current Cingular Nation... it seems it will only benefit users while they are in a GSM service area (thus, can use GSM features). This is nice if there is anywhere where TDMA is not available but GSM is (unlikely) but will also be good for any features available on GSM not available on TDMA (but I'm no expert on this stuff). It would also give Cingular Nation customers a phone which can do GSM internationally, if that's what floats your boat... but if it costs more than just buying a calling card, it's really pretty pointless, IMO. [​IMG]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

The reason they have the roaming charges it`s to cover their a$$es, I heard that the new sim cards can handle Gait phones, so if you change your sim card from a Gsm phone to a Gait phone you can`t call c/s to get credit on the roaming charges you got from a Tdma carrier... Some people will try that

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL!!! @ KevinJames, you got that off!! LOL!!

About roaming charges or not, common sense tells me that they will charge GSM customers using GAIT phones for using the TDMA network. If anyone has some evidence that this is what they will do eventually, please let us know by placing an Internet link, not by just saying it again. For now, they are telling everyone that there will not be any roaming charges but I question that.

In the meantime, I am staying with my Cingular TDMA true nation plan. The best so far.

16. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Here is what the Cingular web site has. Cingular Web Site

Cingular Nation Preferred Plan, travel nationwide on the GSM network with no roaming or long distance charges with a GSM phone.

It says on the GSM network ... with a GSM phone. Says nothing about a GAIT phone or TDMA.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Exactly Mike! that's precisely what makes me suspicious. If it said "anywhere on our nationwide network" it would be different. But when they say "on the GSM network" they are trying to make a distinction so when the GAIT phone comes out the wording is just correct so they can charge roaming when the GAIT connects to a TDMA or Analog tower without confusing people.