Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular coverage maps

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by PADutchman, Mar 17, 2004.

1. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

I had Cingular GSM over a year ago or so, it sounded great but build out was not there yet. I dropped them and went with VZW for better coverage / signal, but suffer with the mediocre, CDMA crap sound. (burbble burbble,....pop, pop....)
    I see that they indicate by their coverage maps, that their GSM coverage has expanded enormously. Can anyone if Cingular's GSM maps even closely accurately depict true coverage ?
    If so, VZW can you not hear me, may go bye byes after contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah I remember your situation. I do know in Philly, Cingular has turned on 850 GSM and their GSM system is better or equal to the old TDMA system. So in those areas, Cingular is much better. Other areas like Lancaster, I have no idea. I say try ATT, they are allowing free roaming on Cingular in the Philly region. They have good plans right now too, plus some cheap phones. Might be worth it

3. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

So ATT customers (God, I hate them,.....from past exp.) can free roam on Cing., but not Cing. on ATT ? Seeing as how Cing bought them, that doesn't make sense. I would think eventually, after all the FCC regulatory, yeah, this'll be better for everyone NOT, shakes out, the network will be all "one" It's all preliminary, as the mighty VZW recently informed me through correspondence that my agreed to 1 yr contract is actually 2 yrs (I supplied the phone, they specifically said 1 yr was fine,...bastards) I have some time to wait. I refuse to pay the artificially created "termination fees" that these carriers impose.
    Nevertheless, I was surprised to see the huge indicated coverage change area.

I like T mob in alot of ways, but can't imagine limiting to 1900 MHZ band only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    att customers really cannot roam free on anyones network.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The new roaming agreements were in the works prior to the buyout talks, And this is why AWE customers can roam in certain area's on a Cingular network for free. And this is dependent on which plan you have and where you live. In certain area's people on a Natl. Plan can roam in there home area's for free and some have to be on a local plan. In 6-9 Months if everything goes thru with the buyout/merger then it will not matter. I would look at all the plans and pick which one has coverage where you need it and the best plans.
    AWE is offering for 39.99 on there local plans in certain area's 1000 Anytime Mins, Unlimited N&W, Unlimited M2M. And for 59.99 and up plans 7to7 N&W.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That has changed in the past few weeks.

7. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Realy, how much so?

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'd recommend Cingular Wireless over AT&T anyday. If you ever travel at all Cingular's Nation GSM plans blow AT&T's National Plans away. You never pay any roaming charges. While with AT&T Wireless more then half the freaking country is roaming.

If you stay only in the local area then AT&T Wireless may be fine for you but if you plan on traveling Cingular Wireless is a better choice.

9. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    I agree 100%. Too much frikin roaming was one of my major grievences. It sucked getting charged for Roaming.

10. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

So I gather that Cing GSM has expanded nicely, and will really bloom as the ATTWS, and we know what the S means, buy out unfolds.