Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

cingular contract up, where to next

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by grapeape1966, Mar 17, 2007.

1. grapeape1966

grapeape1966 New Member

my cingular contract is up as of may 1, i am trying to really do my homework this time before i get commited to another one. what could i expect out of sprint out here in west texas. i know the interstates show to be good and the town i live in, midland, should be good. i live out in the country about 15 miles from town, cingular good here, not to sure about a sprint signal. any info here would be helpful.

2. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It looks like from the coverage maps that sprint has got excellent coverage in your town. What sort of plan were you looking to get with them? Sprint is not a bad choice for a cell company at all, they are agressively adding sites across their network, and i wouldnt see why you shouldnt give them a try. Generally you have a 14 day trial period to see if the phone will work for you where you live/work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
  4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As mentioned, put in your exact address on Sprint's coverage map and see what they say about the coverage at your house.

Also, Sprint has a 30 day trial period, so you could sign up with them about a week before your Cingular contract is up. Test the service and compare it with Cingular. If you like Sprint better, after May 1 just have your Cingular number brought over to Sprint. If it seems Cingular is the better choice, then cancel the new line with Sprint and return the phone. :)

5. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Will Sprint let you port a number into them on an account that has already been set up with them? If so do you keep the same account number? Thanks.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes, you can port a number in on an already existing account. I am also 99% certain you will keep the same account number. The only time I think you might get a new account number from Sprint is when you move and get a new phone number.

7. Ellen

Ellen Guest

This would make sense, because when I moved and got a number change with Verizon, they changed the last number on my account from 0001 to 0002. I don't understand why they have to change the account number however, because I've changed my number on my Cingular line and my account number stayed the same.

8. grapeape1966

grapeape1966 New Member

looking to get in around the 69.99 to 89.99 range. mostly it is the unlimited text messages that my daughter can/could use at sprint. i have checked tmobile as well, but out here in the country the coverage is horrible.

9. the2ndflood

the2ndflood New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The good thing with Sprint is the freedom and roaming. If you don't get the best coverage at your house or something, just set the phone to Roam-Only and use it just like you normally would.

10. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That works only if the roaming partner has better coverage where you need to use this feature. At my house Sprint has the better coverage vs Verizon, so it may not always work.

11. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Remember that if your plan includes off network roaming for no extra charge that Sprint still has a roaming policy. If more than 50% of your minutes are off network for three months in a row Sprint has the right to cancel your service.

12. Ellen

Ellen Guest

^ Does Verizon have the same off network rule that Sprint and Cingular has?

13. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    I don't believe Verizon has any roaming policy... if they do they really don't enforce it. One of my friends has been living in extended network land for over three years and I'd say 97% of his total usage is roaming. They haven't said a thing to him.

14. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, Verizon doesn't have any rule on how much off network roaming you can have.

15. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah but aren't there prices generally higher to make up for it? It's all relative.

16. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Verizon's prices aren't any higher than any of the other carriers with the exception of TMobile, but TMobile also doesn't have a Strong coverage area like Verizon does either, so it all evens out in the end.

17. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

Verizon Controls your roaming experince by telling you when you can and cannot roam.....If you are In-Market Forget about Roaming (Its Verizon or Nothing)....and you have to be completely out of the VZW Coverage area for your phone to switch over to roaming....

So Verizon still isnt Completely Free Unrestricted Roaming....They have they're policies as well.

18. Ellen

Ellen Guest

If you are still in a Verizon coverage area then you can't expect that Verizon would just allow you to roam. It really has nothing to do with them controlling your roaming ability. All of the carriers are like that. I use TMobile also and only when my phones signal drops completely down to nothing and I'm in an area that has will I be able to pick up on a Cingular tower.