Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular call issues in Phoenix, time to try T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by RH, May 30, 2006.

1. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    All I need some input lately I have been using my Cingular phone more and have noticed that some calls at home and work and driving to work are starting to drop or not connect. At home for example I will be on call with almost full bars and will get dead air then beep beep beep and the phone goes back to the regular screen. Same thing at work and while driving and also dialing and getting ......... then beep beep beep but if I redial it may connect. I also have been seeing some system busy messages also near Mclintock and the US 60. I tried my old Nokia 3595 and have the same issue. I am out of contract and am thinking about T-Mobile since my company gets really good discounts. I had T-Mobile 4 years ago here and they were not bad at all also my coworkers user them for personal use and have no problems. I do not travel that much but is the coverage and new roaming here in AZ about the same? I am just kind of on the fence right now about switching.

RH

2. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR
    I would suggest you call cingular and talk to a tech. I have heard of this happening before when they added towers in Kentucky and it usually happens when they are adding new towers to the system. Ask the tech if there any new towers that have gone in recently or are going in now.

you may find that your small setback at this time may be the the better.

3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    RH,

When I was in Gilbert and other areas of the East Valley, T-Mobile was very strong, better than Cingular or Verizon, which surprised me. It wasn't that Cingular or VZ were bad but I had a full signal on T-Mo (on a Nokia 6101) whereas my relatives (with a Moto V400 and V551, respectively) had 1 to 3 bars max, and my VZW phone (Moto V710) was at 3 to 4 bars. Granted this may not mean anything, but if you want to give T-Mobile a try. Couldn't hurt.

You can test out T-Mo for the trial period (14 days, I think), and if all goes well you can port your Cingular number over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I can fully concur this!!! I saw this w/ my own eyes!!! I was very shocked!!! I gotta say that was a good day...:lmao:

5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Most of my friends around town seem to have T-Mobile or Sprint for their personal phones so T-Mobile must be doing something right.

If you can get decent coverage and reliability from TM with your work discounts I'd go for it. If the discounts are steep enough it might even justify giving up a small bit of coverage/reliability, but that is a decision only you can make.

6. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    All just wanted to report back that my issue was resolved by a network person from Cingular in the Phoenix area on the Howard Forums website and that I was not the only one with the issue. Long story short a card failed and had to be replaced. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link to the other site about the saga but can if the moderators are ok with it.

RH

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Wirelessly posted (Sanyo MM 9000: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-9000/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

You can post a link, that's not a problem

8. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
  9. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    RH, I hope it works out for you, but at least you know you have another GSM option with T-Mobile. Good luck!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I just had a friend who uses T-Mobile go to the Phoenix area for two weeks on business and he was amazed by the quality/coverage T-Mobile offers. I talked to him a couple of times when he was on his way home from work during rush hour driving and he sounded great. I haven't used T-Mobile personally in Phoenix but it sounds like they did a fine job there.

11. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    Yep,this is also why I am glad I am out of contract with Cingular :biggrin: that way if things get worse T-Mobile I am on my way. Our company has a 30day trial time with T-Mobile on all new service and equipment upgrades, no activation fee and monthly discounts on the plans.

RH

12. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    I spoke to soon I have had a couple a calls drop today :banghead: again I guess T-Mobile is probably going to get my business for GSM my only concern is that that I will sacrafice a lot of coverage not that I travel much (out of Phoenix) and AZ coverage seems to be the same as Cingular. I had T-Mobile back when they changed over from Voicestream and it was fine.

RH

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In your area T-Mobile coverage should be fine. Cingular and T-Mobile both use pretty much the same carriers outside their native service area so on a national basis, they are pretty equal for most people. T-Mobile's native service seems to be much more consistant than Cingular in my opinion.

14. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    Andy84094 true looking at the national maps they look both about the same. I also have a Verizon line and have never had a call drop around here I cannot believe how night and day it is compared to Cingular. Off topic every year my dad and I go skiing at Deer Valley what a great place. We stay in Salt Lake at the Embassy Suites (free breakfast and drinks :D) and rent a car. Verizon is great up there.

RH

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon is great in Salt Lake and Park City. That's one of the only reasons left why I use them. ;) Even rural areas in the mountains Verizon coverage is usually better than others.
    I had capacity issues with Cingular in Park City during the Film Festivals a while back while Verizon was flawless as always. T-Mobile also does a great job in Salt Lake and Park City. Rural mountain coverage is not as strong though as Verizon.

16. RH

RH Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6102I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    I agree on Park City we happen to go this year and last during the film festival and Cingular was a mess in Park City and Verizon was fine even with all the peeps.

RH

17. tofer

tofer New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    When we were down in the valley for spring training, had MANY troubles with call completetion and simply maintaining a call.:loony:

This level of frustration is/has been enough that since we are moving to the valley in the next few months, we are considering changing carriers :rolleyes:

I have a buddy down there that is also with Cingular and is changing as well.

I have read the coverage/call completetion has improved, please those that live there and maintain the network, advise of current status.

Thanks!