Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Cingular avalible in NYC!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Scalici26, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

I went to the Staten Island Mall today and saw a Cingular booth selling Cingular service. They had the Motorola V70 for sale as wells as the Nokia 3390 and Motorola T193. I didn't stop to ask what the rate plans were or how much the phones were, but people were signing up for the service.

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

According to the site it is still not available.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Here's the plan info for the more popular price points:

Metro
    19.99 - 50 min, 0 n/w
    29.99 - 350 min, 1000 n/w
    39.99 - 700 min, 3500 n/w
    49.99 - 1000 min, 3500 n/w
    69.99 - 1400 min, 3500 n/w

Nation Preferred
    29.99 - 300 min, 1000 n/w
    39.99 - 450 min, 3500 n/w
    49.99 - 700 min, 3500 n/w
    69.99 - 1000 min, 3500 n/w

Nation
    29.99 - 250 min, 1000 n/w
    39.99 - 350 min, 3500 n/w
    49.99 - 500 min, 3500 n/w
    69.99 - 850 min, 3500 n/w

The Nation calling plans aren't available on the Cingular site but I copied it from a brochure I picked up.

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cingular has some nice rate plans in the New York Metro according to http://www.cingularny.com/

Thanks for that website Anonymous [​IMG]

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Those are good rate plans Dan

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

Why does New York deserve it's own "Cingular" domain????

7. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Because BIG APPLEs always get top billing. [​IMG]

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    About time they cut their GSM customers a break, those nation preferred things are just about all of the US's GSM minus ATT I guess. They should give that choice to California as well. I mean the Cingular Nation plans are a rip off to GSM customers, why pay 39.99 a month for 350 minutes, when you can get 600 with VoiceStream (I know, no nite minutes, but that will change), and have the same calling area?

9. CingularKY

CingularKY New Member

CINGULAR LAUNCHED IN NYC TODAY WITH 11 NEW COMPANY OWNED RETAIL STORES AND ABOUT 80 AGENT LOCATIONS. THIS IS A SOFT LAUNCH, THE OFFICAL LAUNCH WILL BE NEXT WEEKEND. HOW DO I KNOW? I WORK THERE!

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What is the difference between Nation Preferred and Nation?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I got Cingular even before they were Cingular and I live in the NYC area...they were available a long time ago is just that they didn't sell or promote themselves here until now.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

The preffer network is Gsm coverage with a Gsm phone, the national plans are Tdma or Gait in Gsm markets.

13. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Right now it just looks like Cingular is selling the Nation Preferred Plans in the NYC area. I guess it's because the GAIT phone is not avaible yet from Cingular.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular's New York Plans are more economical than Voicestream. In addition, GSM subscribers to Cingular will not have to worry about 'pro-rating' when deciding to migrate between minute packages, unlike with Voicestream. I wonder whether Voicestreams' infrastructure will be able to support the anticipated increase in GSM users, particularly during off peak time frames. Has Cingular erected any of their own towers?

15. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Here is Cingular's information on NYC. Some new plans and maps for New York.

New York Cingular

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Voicestream has heavily fortified this area with new towers and more capacity so I hope there are not any problems. I am sure it will take them a while to build a customer base here because people can always sign up with someone else.

BTW, they added the NYC info to their regular website. Just pick New York Metro from the pull down. Also, they have a new dept. for NYC you can call at 866-999-1166.

I don't know why the name "Preferred Network" when in the west they named the GSM plans as Cingular Nation.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

The 18669991166 is the number to the Relocation Center. NYC doesn't have a special number. 1866Cingular

18. RS1999ent

RS1999ent New Member

<<Voicestream has heavily fortified this area with new towers and more capacity so I hope there are not any problems>>

So I use voicestream as my provider, and I'm not sure how much this has to do with the number of towers available, but while in Grand Central Terminal last week, quite a few times, when I attempted to make a phone call, I received the message 'All Circuits are busy. Please try your call again later.' This was at about 1pm or so. I'm not sure as to whether this was an isolated event, or just a time of day during which everyone is using their phones...

19. Guest

Guest Guest

message 'All Circuits are busy. Please try your call again later
    ==========

Hah, the vestiges of California GSM are among you!

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you actually hear a recorded voice with that message that means you already connected to an available channel in the tower. When towers are full to capacity you can't get any voice at all. The problem you experienced has to do with the land-based switches being busy because of the available number of lines one company uses to route a call to another one is limited. The traffic jam could be at the originating switch (switch from your phone company) or at an interexchange switch (connecting to another phone company to route the call) or at the destination switch. This has nothing to do with GSM or TDMA or anything else.

Anonymous poster above RS1999ent: I called 1-866-Cingular and they didn't have much info about the NYC coverage. They simply admitted not having any info so they directed me to 866-999-1166.